LH Bat Trade Options

Chicago White Sox

So it’s very clear that the Sox will need to acquire a LH bat to help against tough RHP.  The question is what options are available at a position of need and won’t require us to give up our entire farm system.  From my perspective, this should be a legit RF or a 2B, with the latter probably being the ideal option for this season.

That being said, there aren’t exactly a ton of guys who fit this criteria.  Here is the list of players with over 200 PA’s over the past three years against RHP as a LH hitter and with a +115 wRC+ that could fit in at one of those positions.  Please note that the figures reflect wRC+ against RHP (3 yr avg | 2022), team winning percentage, and trade value per BBTV.

Second Base:

• Brandon Lowe, TB (145 | 99) (.544) (70.4M)
  • Luis Arraez, MIN (136 | 194) (.551) (34.6M)
  • Jeff McNeil, NYM (124 | 160) (.643) (31.3M)
  • Jake Croneworth, SD (121 | 105) (.614) (48.2M)
  • Joey Wendle, MIA (117 | 104) (.455) (5.8M)
  • Tommy La Stella, SF (116 | 88) (.567) (-5.8M)
  • Jazz Chisholm, MIA (115 | 156) (.455) (53.6M)
  • Jorge Polanco, MIN (115 | 135) (.551) (40.3M)
  • Brad Miller, TEX (115 | 85) (.478) (0.8M)
  • Max Muncy, LAD (115 | 90) (.621) (11.3M)

Right Field:

• Bryce Harper, PHI (179 | 178) (.522) (35.8M)
  • Juan Soto, PHI (176 | 149) (.352) (190.9M)
  • Kyle Tucker, HOU (144 | 135) (.627) (137.0M)
  • Mike Yazstremski, SF (135 | 141) (.567) (45.6M)
  • Michael Conforto, FA (134 | NA) (NA) (NA)
  • Cedric Mullins, BAL (131 | 102) (.435) (53.5M)
  • Bryan Reynolds, PIT (123 | 121) (.418) (80.5M)
  • Max Kepler, MIN (120 | 112) (.551) (30.5M)
  • Joey Gallo, NYY (118 | 116) (.735) (7.5M)
  • Tyler Naquin, CIN (117 | 128) (.343) (0.4M)
  • Like 1

Right off the bat I’d say the bulk of these guys are unattainable either because they are good players on good teams or valuable assets on bad teams.  2B in particular appears to be a real challenge as the guys who could make a difference are all controllable for some time.  That being said, the one guy there that stands out at 2B is Brandon Lowe.  He’s had a slow start to the season and the Rays are always open to moving players that would seem tough to acquire.  However, his contract is so attractive I just don’t see how they move him unless they see a guy like Sosa as a top 50 caliber prospect who can quickly assume a starting role.

Assuming Lowe is off the table, I really think you’re down to guys like Gallo or Naquin for RF.  These would not be sexy additions, but they would be upgrades against tough RHP and should come relatively cheap (assuming the Yankees would even move Gallo).  The challenge with adding one of these guys is it will push Eloy or Pollock to the bench against RHP, but given the health profiles of those two having more depth would obviously be a good thing.

Gun to head, I think we see something like Engel + C prospect for Gallo at the trade deadline.  I’d love something more impactful, but not sure it’s doable without gutting the farm system unfortunately.

What do you guys think?  What would you like to see?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So it’s very clear that the Sox will need to acquire a LH bat to help against tough RHP.  The question is what options are available at a position of need and won’t require us to give up our entire farm system.  From my perspective, this should be a legit RF or a 2B, with the latter probably being the ideal option for this season.

That being said, there aren’t exactly a ton of guys who fit this criteria.  Here is the list of players with over 200 PA’s over the past three years against RHP as a LH hitter and with a +115 wRC+ that could fit in at one of those positions.  Please note that the figures reflect wRC+ against RHP (3 yr avg | 2022), team winning percentage, and trade value per BBTV.

Second Base:

• Brandon Lowe, TB (145 | 99) (.544) (70.4M)
  • Luis Arraez, MIN (136 | 194) (.551) (34.6M)
  • Jeff McNeil, NYM (124 | 160) (.643) (31.3M)
  • Jake Croneworth, SD (121 | 105) (.614) (48.2M)
  • Joey Wendle, MIA (117 | 104) (.455) (5.8M)
  • Tommy La Stella, SF (116 | 88) (.567) (-5.8M)
  • Jazz Chisholm, MIA (115 | 156) (.455) (53.6M)
  • Jorge Polanco, MIN (115 | 135) (.551) (40.3M)
  • Brad Miller, TEX (115 | 85) (.478) (0.8M)
  • Max Muncy, LAD (115 | 90) (.621) (11.3M)

Right Field:

• Bryce Harper, PHI (179 | 178) (.522) (35.8M)
  • Juan Soto, PHI (176 | 149) (.352) (190.9M)
  • Kyle Tucker, HOU (144 | 135) (.627) (137.0M)
  • Mike Yazstremski, SF (135 | 141) (.567) (45.6M)
  • Michael Conforto, FA (134 | NA) (NA) (NA)
  • Cedric Mullins, BAL (131 | 102) (.435) (53.5M)
  • Bryan Reynolds, PIT (123 | 121) (.418) (80.5M)
  • Max Kepler, MIN (120 | 112) (.551) (30.5M)
  • Joey Gallo, NYY (118 | 116) (.735) (7.5M)
  • Tyler Naquin, CIN (117 | 128) (.343) (0.4M)

Problem is, pretty much none of those guys are/will be available.

Adam Frazier is probably the guy that is i) available; ii) helps fill the need; and iii) won't cost a ton.  He's not a world beater against RHP by any mans, but career .760 OPS.  

I'd personally be trying to sign Conforto to a 2 year deal following the draft if he's approaching the ability to go on a rehab assignment by early August.  I'd probably still be interested even with Frazier in hand.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gun to head, I think we see something like Engel + C prospect for Gallo at the trade deadline.  I’d love something more impactful, but not sure it’s doable without gutting the farm system unfortunately.

Truthfully, I see no reason why NY would agree to something like that.  Gallo has been awful for them, but they're not just going to hand him over for a 30 year 4th OF with 1.5 years of control. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Adam Frazier is probably the guy that is i) available; ii) helps fill the need; and iii) won't cost a ton.  He's not a world beater against RHP by any mans, but career .760 OPS.  

I'd personally be trying to sign Conforto to a 2 year deal following the draft if he's approaching the ability to go on a rehab assignment by early August.  I'd probably still be interested even with Frazier in hand.  

See my second post.  Honestly, Frazier just doesn’t do it for me.  I think we need a guy with some pop and Frazier is having a bad season to boot.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with the Conforto idea but I wouldn't really be counting on him for anything this year. I think just rehabbing and working with a team would be good for him. Come back next spring in one of the corners.

Other than that, Frazier like you said, Tyler Naquin maybe?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Truthfully, I see no reason why NY would agree to something like that.  Gallo has been awful for them, but they're not just going to hand him over for a 30 year 4th OF with 1.5 years of control. 

Gallo has no team control beyond this season and the Yankees are already the best team in baseball against RHP.  Maybe you’re looking at B prospect, but I can’t imagine the cost would be all that much.  Engel is more about giving them a stopgap OF who can play quality defense at all three spots and hit LH pitching.  He’s a very useful piece for them even if not an overly valuable one.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue is it really needs 2B, a 2B (😁). As the OF/DH is pollock and Robert with Jimenez and Vaughn.

There is no room for a new regular in the OF.

1) this team needs LH hitting so badly they need to get the best LH bat they can get regardless of position.

2) the likelihood that everyone would be healthy to the point it causes a squeeze at any position is very low

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue is it really needs 2B, a 2B (😁). As the OF/DH is pollock and Robert with Jimenez and Vaughn.

There is no room for a new regular in the OF.

I really don’t think you can ignore the problem though if a 2B is unattainable as we really don’t have a legit RF at the moment but rather a LF and two DHs who happen to play the OF more than they should.

The only thing that makes sense for us is Harper or Soto.   Either come to the big boy table or roll with what we have.  

So knowing the Sox, roll with what you have.  But really knowing the Sox, they’ll probably trade Sosa and Montgomery for some dogshit.  

8 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Errr... none of those guys are happening. 

Think more ... Robbie Grossman. He fits perfectly. Last year of deal, OBP, Lefty, can be acquired for a Pilkington type. 

He currently is hitting worse than Harrison.

Benintendi seems like a really good fit. Last year before FA, would hit a lot more homers in Chicago than in KC (he would have had 12 more homers had he hit in Chicago last year), plays pretty good defense in LF, but his arm is kinda trash so I'm not sure he's really a good candidate for RF. 

They aren't trading for a difference maker, so I would rather see them just throw Colas out there in RF in a few months if he keeps hitting. There's a LH bat with power that doesnt cost giving up anything.

Hes going to be 24 in a few months, ill throw him into the fire.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Benintendi seems like a really good fit. Last year before FA, would hit a lot more homers in Chicago than in KC (he would have had 12 more homers had he hit in Chicago last year), plays pretty good defense in LF, but his arm is kinda trash so I'm not sure he's really a good candidate for RF. 

I just don't think I am starting Benintendi over any of Pollock, AV or Eloy, even against RHP.  So that is a move I probably wait until the last minute on to see what the team's health looks like.

It is why I kind of like Frazier even with the horseshit 1.5 seasons because at least you can play him at 2B if/when the team is at full strength. 

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

They aren't trading for a difference maker, so I would rather see them just throw Colas out there in RF in a few months if he keeps hitting. There's a LH bat with power that doesnt cost giving up anything.

Hes going to be 24 in a few months, ill throw him into the fire.

While I would love to see the Sox be significantly more aggressive with Colas due to his age (how is he not in Birmingham by now!?), but he's quite simply not at option in 2022 at this point.  

• Like 1

If you are gonna do a LH OF...just sign Conforto if he is ready. Should have a real idea of team's status by All-star break and he should come relatively cheap. He is still a great bridge to Colas/Cespedes (if they ever are ready) and he is insurance for when Eloy gets hurt again (or Pollock). 

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I agree that I don’t see how it can be an OF/DH. Are we going to acquire a player better than Pollack? We can’t play a worse LH hitter just because of what side they hit from. Unless Eloy doesn’t recover….

If everyone on this team was healthy, then "Burger, Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn, Pollock, Abreu" are 6 guys for 5 positions (3b, LF, RF, 1b, DH). One of them sitting on the bench every day wouldn't be a bad setup, except for the fact that they're all Right Handed.

If no one has a major injury, then where do you find room for a lefty in the OF without permanently removing one of those guys from the lineup or sending Burger down to AAA?