LH Bat Trade Options

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If everyone on this team was healthy, then "Burger, Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn, Pollock, Abreu" are 6 guys for 5 positions (3b, LF, RF, 1b, DH). One of them sitting on the bench every day wouldn't be a bad setup, except for the fact that they're all Right Handed.

If no one has a major injury, then where do you find room for a lefty in the OF without permanently removing one of those guys from the lineup or sending Burger down to AAA? 

I think Burger is the easy odd man out if the scenario that all 6 of those guys are healthy.  

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I agree that I don’t see how it can be an OF/DH. Are we going to acquire a player better than Pollack? We can’t play a worse LH hitter just because of what side they hit from. Unless Eloy doesn’t recover….

If you're getting an OF only, it needs to be impact OF.  A guy that can play 2B and OF would be ideal. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Burger is the easy odd man out if the scenario that all 6 of those guys are healthy.  

If you're getting an OF only, it needs to be impact OF.  A guy that can play 2B and OF would be ideal. 

He probably has the most extreme platoon splits so that does make sense, but that also means you need to acquire a fairly good LH hitting OF since he's been so darn good against righties that sending him down would actually sting.

18 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If you are gonna do a LH OF...just sign Conforto if he is ready. Should have a real idea of team's status by All-star break and he should come relatively cheap. He is still a great bridge to Colas/Cespedes (if they ever are ready) and he is insurance for when Eloy gets hurt again (or Pollock). 

So who rides the pine then from Eloy, Vaughn, AJ ?

And no, having a revolving DH is not something I want to put on this dumbass manager.   The less toys that old fuck gets the better it is. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He probably has the most extreme platoon splits so that does make sense, but that also means you need to acquire a fairly good LH hitting OF since he's been so darn good against righties that sending him down would actually sting.

Yeah, I guess.  I think a lot depends on Eloy over the next few weeks.  You cannot rely on him, to be sure. But if he's healthy, he needs to play.  

Have some of you all been in never ever land all season....

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd personally be trying to sign Conforto to a 2 year deal following the draft if he's approaching the ability to go on a rehab assignment by early August.  I'd probably still be interested even with Frazier in hand.  

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I agree with the Conforto idea but I wouldn't really be counting on him for anything this year. I think just rehabbing and working with a team would be good for him. Come back next spring in one of the corners.

Season ending doesn't mean he can play in August lol.  It means 2023 at the earliest 

• Like 1

Just now, Polar Bear said:

Have some of you all been in never ever land all season....

Season ending doesn't mean he can play in August lol.  It means 2023 at the earliest 

There have been reports that he could be ready late in the season.  I don't know his current status, but its theoretically possible.  You'll also see I qualified the statement as such: "...if he's approaching the ability to go on a rehab assignment by early August."

Edited by ChiSox59

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah if you get an impact player I’m obviously not going to complain…but let’s be real, that ain’t happening. It has to be a player that is obviously better than Pollack. 

The real question, is if we can get a LH 3B could we pull the trigger? Is there any glimmer of hope Yoan can still play 2B?

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah if you get an impact player I’m obviously not going to complain…but let’s be real, that ain’t happening. It has to be a player that is obviously better than Pollack. 

The real question, is if we can get a LH 3B could we pull the trigger? Is there any glimmer of hope Yoan can still play 2B?

Yoan isn't moving to 2B man.  A week or two ago he pinch hit for Harrison and they literally took him out of the game just so he didn't have to play 2B the next half inning.  Its not an option. 

• Thanks 1

At this point they've spent so much stupid money and made bad trades for marginal players that I'd rather they look at in-house options and develop their minor league blue chips. Adding a solid lefty at 2B would help, but the reality is the rest of the team needs to be able to hit righties at at least a league average pace because one player for ~80 games isn't going to make much of a difference unless they absolutely smash righties at like a 150 wRC+.

• Like 1

As you guys know, I've been trying to find a solution to this perennial problem, for some time. I just don't see any viable options. In the meantime, Sox hitters appear to be trying to somewhat mitigate the problem of poor performance versus RH pitching, by concentrating on hitting to right field. That is what I have been hoping to see. It works so well for Anderson, that I have been wondering why more guys don't do it. It can be a very effective way to neutralize some of those sliders from right handers. There are a lot of base hits in breaking pitches, just outside the strike zone. As long as they don't try to pull the ball, they can exploit those pitches by taking them the  other way. They have recently been trying to do that very thing, and It seems to be working. The lineup still needs better balance, but this strategy could help, until they find a LH hitter, who thrives against RH pitching.

9 minutes ago, almagest said:

At this point they've spent so much stupid money and made bad trades for marginal players that I'd rather they look at in-house options and develop their minor league blue chips. Adding a solid lefty at 2B would help, but the reality is the rest of the team needs to be able to hit righties at at least a league average pace because one player for ~80 games isn't going to make much of a difference unless they absolutely smash righties at like a 150 wRC+.

It sucks that the lefty trifecta in the system - Montgomery, Colas, and Kath - are all in A ball. But man are those three crushing it.

The Sox' lefties have a combined .539 OPS and .242 wOBA against right handed pitchers. That's the worst in all of baseball. Meanwhile Sox righties have a .313 wOBA against RHP, 10th in baseball. 

The lefty/switch hitter with the highest wOBA against RHP is fucking Reese McGuire at .293. 

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/39882/jake-burger
Are we talking about the same player?  I guess 39 at bats against LHP is a bit of a small sample.

The interesting thing is that Burger in yet another very small sample size last year killed righties. .https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/39882/year/2021/category/batting

33/136 or .243 overall against RHP last two years combined.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

If you are gonna do a LH OF...just sign Conforto if he is ready. Should have a real idea of team's status by All-star break and he should come relatively cheap. He is still a great bridge to Colas/Cespedes (if they ever are ready) and he is insurance for when Eloy gets hurt again (or Pollock). 

I could be wrong, but I thought the concern with Conforto is he might not be able to play the OF this year when he returns from injury.  If so, he’s much less of an option IMO.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still a quality hitter against RHP and historically has been a really good defensive RF.  Hard to call him “worthless” if used appropriately.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/joey-gallo/14128/stats?position=OF
Except it seems like Gallo’s defense has really cratered.

And the Yankees are going to not simply help out a potential playoff opponent for nothing more than salary relief and Engel…especially when everyone in baseball knows about the Sox LHH issues.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

The issue is it really needs 2B, a 2B (😁). As the OF/DH is pollock and Robert with Jimenez and Vaughn.

There is no room for a new regular in the OF.

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

a) let's get over .500 (we're close)

b) let's get to 1st place 

c) Let's get healthy and see what we have going forward. 

Then I'll worry about LH bats.  

Any plan that involves the assumption of good health seems really misguided IMO. But that's generally how this org operates anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/joey-gallo/14128/stats?position=OF
Except it seems like Gallo’s defense has really cratered.

And the Yankees are going to not simply help out a potential playoff opponent for nothing more than salary relief and Engel…especially when everyone in baseball knows about the Sox LHH issues.

The Yankees may want to use the payroll savings to address other needs.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

1) this team needs LH hitting so badly they need to get the best LH bat they can get regardless of position.

2) the likelihood that everyone would be healthy to the point it causes a squeeze at any position is very low

I wouldn't give up significant assets for a part time player. 

Jimenez,  Pollock, Robert, Vaughn aren't going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't give up significant assets for a part time player. 

Jimenez,  Pollock, Robert, Vaughn aren't going anywhere. 

Other than the IL perhaps?  In all honesty, we should probably plan on one of Pollock or Eloy missing considerable time post trade deadline.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

For the little he would cost I wouldn’t hate Joey Wendel. I don’t think he’s going to put us over the top or anything, but just a LH bat that can play 2B and not be a black hole on offense would help. 

They won’t do that until Harrison crashes back to reality again.  He’s bought himself through the middle of July now.

Edited by caulfield12

I really would love to know how teams view Sosa.  Montgomery & Colas are more or less untouchables IMO, but Lenyn is putting up some insane numbers in AA at a fairly young age.  He lacks a track like this (I know he’s adjusted well after slow starts, but nothing like this), so I’d assume there would be a general skepticism to him by scouts.  But damn, it would be awesome if the Rays liked him a lot and we could package him and a few other top 10 guys for Lowe.  Probably a complete pipe dream though.