LH Bat Trade Options

Chicago White Sox

Could always approach the D-backs. They have a lot of desirable LH or SH players

Alek Thomas, who the Sox passed on in the 2nd rd. in 2018 for Steele Walker. Mt. Carmel product and son of strength and condition coach at that time Allen Thomas who worked for the Sox for 27 yrs. Thomas made it up to #31 in Baseball America's top 100 prospects list.

He's just 22 LH, Very good CF . His arm is the weakest part of his game but he is such a good OF that you might not actually care about his arm or you stick him in LF. D-Backs brought him up May 8th and he's now playing every day

Offer Eloy for him see what Dbacks think of that. I'd do it in a heartbeat otherwise the Dbacks would ask for Montgomery.

Daulton Varsho 99 wRC+ but worth 1.4 fWAR playing every OF position and catcher.

Other than that they have Pavin Smith, David Peralta, Ketel Marte, Josh Rojas and their top prospect is LH OF Corbin Carroll who had been impressive before his shoulder surgery.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really would love to know how teams view Sosa.  Montgomery & Colas are more or less untouchables IMO, but Lenyn is putting up some insane numbers in AA at a fairly young age.  He lacks a track like this (I know he’s adjusted well after slow starts, but nothing like this), so I’d assume there would be a general skepticism to him by scouts.  But damn, it would be awesome if the Rays liked him a lot and we could package him and a few other top 10 guys for Lowe.  Probably a complete pipe dream though.

If the Rays wanted Sosa, that would set off alarms to me. I would trust their judgement more than our scouts. I haven't looked up Sosa's numbers against righties, but I think they maybe should consider giving him a chance with the Sox soon, no?

And in the end, I think the ship has sailed on big additions. They decided in the offseason to sit on their hands and leave these holes wide open. And now they would be a lot harder to fill. A middle reliever is probably a more realistic get at the deadline.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Could always approach the D-backs. They have a lot of desirable LH or SH players

Alek Thomas, who the Sox passed on in the 2nd rd. in 2018 for Steele Walker. Mt. Carmel product and son of strength and condition coach at that time Allen Thomas who worked for the Sox for 27 yrs. Thomas made it up to #31 in Baseball America's top 100 prospects list.

He's just 22 LH, Very good CF . His arm is the weakest part of his game but he is such a good OF that you might not actually care about his arm or you stick him in LF. D-Backs brought him up May 8th and he's now playing every day

Offer Eloy for him see what Dbacks think of that. I'd do it in a heartbeat otherwise the Dbacks would ask for Montgomery.

Daulton Varsho 99 wRC+ but worth 1.4 fWAR playing every OF position and catcher.

Other than that they have Pavin Smith, David Peralta, Ketel Marte, Josh Rojas and their top prospect is LH OF Corbin Carroll who had been impressive before his shoulder surgery.

What good would Jimenez do a rebuilding team that should be shedding Marte and Bumgarner and perhaps even Gallen?

This is like another version of the Chisholm trade…although Thomas isn’t ever likely to be a 5+ fWAR guy.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What good would Jimenez do a rebuilding team that should be shedding Marte and Bumgarner and perhaps even Gallen?

This is like another version of the Chisholm trade…although Thomas isn’t ever likely to be a 5+ fWAR guy.

It could do a lot of good if they think Eloy still has a chance to be one of the best hitters in baseball.

29 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Any plan that involves the assumption of good health seems really misguided IMO. But that's generally how this org operates anyway.

Well, if you don't get healthy then all is for nothing.  No point in trading assets for patchwork reinforcements that will get you nowhere. 

The season to me is lost if Hendriks, Grandal, Moncada, and Eloy are not here back at some point contributing.  And I listed them in order of importance too. 

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If the Rays wanted Sosa, that would set off alarms to me. I would trust their judgement more than our scouts. I haven't looked up Sosa's numbers against righties, but I think they maybe should consider giving him a chance with the Sox soon, no?

And in the end, I think the ship has sailed on big additions. They decided in the offseason to sit on their hands and leave these holes wide open. And now they would be a lot harder to fill. A middle reliever is probably a more realistic get at the deadline.

The Rays have made some really strange moves, like selling low on both Adames and Cronenworth.  The one really good one was dumping Snell early to the Padres.  Then again, they turned Margot from a 4th outfielder to a very valuable piece.  Like the Giants, they get the absolute most out of their lineups.  And miss Franco dearly.

The biggest problem seems to be running their pitchers into the ground and trying to compete in that incredibly-tough division.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It could do a lot of good if they think Eloy still has a chance to be one of the best hitters in baseball.

To me, Jimenez now has a pretty similar profile to Jorge Soler when the Cubs finally decided to cut bait with him…and they already went through the Yasmany Tomas experience.  

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I never said there weren't other options besides Eloy. I'd just prefer someone of the DH type guys get traded and Eloy has the most upside if he can stay on the field ever.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thomas has 1 fWAR in 40 games already in his 1st taste of MLB. Upside could be 5 fWAR, kind of easy to project that based on what we're seeing already.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

To me, Jimenez now has a pretty similar profile to Jorge Soler when the Cubs finally decided to cut bait with him…and they already went through the Yasmany Tomas experience.  

I understand why you and others want to cut bait on him. I'm nowhere near that myself, though. I still think there's a monster lurking in there and that its worth the Sox trying to see if they can fix his health and bring the beast out of him.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy is a lot better hitter. He's a rich man's Soler at this point, which isn't ideal but it's not worthless either.

Eloy was a better hitter in 2019 and 2020, but he hasn’t been over ‘21 and ‘22. If both of them were still prearb players that would be a good comparison, but Eloy has a bunch of money remaining on his deal still.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

I understand why you and others want to cut bait on him. I'm nowhere near that myself, though. I still think there's a monster lurking in there and that its worth the Sox trying to see if they can fix his health and bring the beast out of him.

I can’t say that this is the wrong call, but i do believe it leaves you no room to add a LH bat to the outfield unless someone else gets hurt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy is a lot better hitter. He's a rich man's Soler at this point, which isn't ideal but it's not worthless either.

If you were stuck behind the Dodgers, Padres and Giants for the foreseeable future…and financially limited…acquiring Jimenez for two relatively expensive seasons vs. 6-7 cost-controlled of Alek Thomas, the roughly #30 MiLB prospect who can play anywhere in the OF and LH.  Well, let’s just say if if if the 2015-2016 White Sox made the equivalent of that move, we would go insane.

Yes, Jimenez could even have one 2008 Carlos Quentin season in him…but what are the odds of actually extracting it right now?

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Eloy was a better hitter in 2019 and 2020, but he hasn’t been over ‘21 and ‘22. If both of them were still prearb players that would be a good comparison, but Eloy has a bunch of money remaining on his deal still.

The comp makes almost zero sense on any level given age difference, money, performance relative to age.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thomas has 1 fWAR in 40 games already in his 1st taste of MLB. Upside could be 5 fWAR, kind of easy to project that based on what we're seeing already.

Sure.  Let’s wait at least 2 more months and see what happens when pitchers start making adjustments.

Jose Rodriguez has been one of the few top prospects to actually hold their own after a really rough start this year.  It has been a graveyard for rookies partially due to the 2020-21 lack of reps…and ball change as well.

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

There is nothing to cut bait on.  We control him for 2.5 more seasons with guaranteed $.  He is worth far more to the Sox if he stays healthy than they could get in a trade, even if he has a monster 2nd half.  

8 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, if you don't get healthy then all is for nothing.  No point in trading assets for patchwork reinforcements that will get you nowhere. 

The season to me is lost if Hendriks, Grandal, Moncada, and Eloy are not here back at some point contributing.  And I listed them in order of importance too. 

In terms of the injuries I think they can overcome and the ones they can't, it aligns with the order you listed. I think they're toast without Hendriks regardless of who else is healthy. By some miracle, I can see them overcoming Grandal being out (and, by a lesser miracle, Yoan), but definitely not both. With Eloy, I feel like anything you get from him is a bonus.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure.  Let’s wait at least 2 more months and see what happens when pitchers start making adjustments.

Jose Rodriguez has been one of the few top prospects to actually hold their own after a really rough start this year.  It has been a graveyard for rookies partially due to the 2020-21 lack of reps…and ball change as well.

He'd be hard enough to get him near the trade deadline that gives him another 20-25 games ? Sox need a LH OF who can play great defense and not be a black hole offensively. Throw in the speed and youth. He could be special.

Currently on a 12 game hitting streak. 1-3 ,walk, stolen base yesterday. Last 2 weeks very hot batting .340  .426 OBP 0 HR but .809 OPS.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still a quality hitter against RHP and historically has been a really good defensive RF.  Hard to call him “worthless” if used appropriately.

He isn't hitting anyone this season and most of last season and that is pretty concerning considering the firepower surrounding him in that lineup and the park he plays in.  He should be feasting and he is anything but.

I'm not hoping for them to trade for a LH bat so I can say he has a good glove 

Just now, PolishPrince34 said:

I have a big issue with Eloy’s batting stance. I think that front leg has caused issues with his swing. It continues to become dramatically stranger each year. 

I say let's see that stance for more than a month before we can complain about it 

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thomas just hit homer #6, fwiw.  Hasn’t been up that long.  But his acquisition cost would be bigger than Ketel Marte.

Sox aren't going to do anything major ahead of the deadline, we all know who signs the checks and who works in this shitty front office ... 

in the words of Gene Hackman, "THIS is your team"