Mendick, Engel, and (maybe) Robert leave with injuries

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

The fact that Tony brought that up specifically tells me it was more about discipline than anything else. 

I hadn't see the video until now, that was a terrible play by Robert. He deserves to be benched for it. And on one hand, I don't hate the tact TLR is using here. On the other hand, I don't like that this seems to be a consistent thing under his watch. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be legit curious why this time, nearly 70 games into the season, was the time to make a statement about hustling.

Alex Rios was in attendance?

I'd rather ask TLR why he's willing to PH Anderson in the 9th but not for Leury with the bases loaded and two outs in the 8th?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Interesting timing for an article on Fangraphs that has Robert as the 4th most irreplaceable player in the American League

"4. Luis Robert, Chicago White Sox, -10.9%

Robert isn’t playing at quite the eight-win piece of his 2021 season, but that doesn’t mean that the White Sox can afford to lose him. Outside of bringing in the oft-injured AJ Pollock, the White Sox let their outfield depth fester last winter, something which had consequences when it resulted in a whole lot more Leury García and Gavin Sheets than Southsiders should have been happy with while Andrew Vaughn was out. In that case, Chicago was only replacing a rather poor defensive corner outfielder/DH type, not an above-average center fielder."

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/who-is-the-als-most-irreplaceable-player-in-2022/

I sincerely hope Danny is alright. He’s an awesome story and has been playing his best ball in the big leagues the last month. But the Sox will be just fine if this happens to be a long term injury; he isn’t a difference maker in the bigs and a sample size regression was coming very soon. Sucks he went down when he was playing great tho, really does. At least Harrison is showing a pulse lately. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I sincerely hope Danny is alright. He’s an awesome story and has been playing his best ball in the big leagues the last month. But the Sox will be just fine if this happens to be a long term injury; he isn’t a difference maker in the bigs and a sample size regression was coming very soon. Sucks he went down when he was playing great tho, really does. At least Harrison is showing a pulse lately. 

He hit a robust .290 while replacing Anderson.

Unexpected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Not to be mean, but this is about the time I expected Luis to go down with injury. He had a nice run but was well overdue to come up hobbled. Basically the entire roster is an injury waiting to happen. Very very sad but I think true.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Not to be mean, but this is about the time I expected Luis to go down with injury. He had a nice run but was well overdue to come up hobbled. Basically the entire roster is an injury waiting to happen. Very very sad but I think true.

He should be back tomorrow.  The biggest issues are Engel and Giolito’s collapse at the moment.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He should be back tomorrow.  The biggest issues are Engel and Giolito’s collapse at the moment.

Yeah I saw a tweet after my posting that said he's due back tomorrow. I would be skeptical of that. This will go down as the year of the Sox injury. Hopefully they can shake the bug next season.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yeah I saw a tweet after my posting that said he's due back tomorrow. I would be skeptical of that. This will go down as the year of the Sox injury. Hopefully they can shake the bug next season.

I remember having these same thoughts last season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I remember having these same thoughts last season.

The Guardians are in the process of poking a massive hole in the Twins’ bubble if this second miracle Naylor-esque comeback tonight holds up.   Seems pretty likely Pagan will collapse as he has with the Rays and Padres.

Twins had been 34-1 when leading after 8, Guardians just 2-25 when trailing after 8.  

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

https://theathletic.com/3375167/2022/06/21/white-sox-injuries/
Menechino on why Robert became a singles hitter…

“The 10 days off really killed him,” Menechino told The Athletic. “He kind of lost his contact points. He kind of lost his confidence in stuff. Having 10 days off and coming back, now he’s starting to get back in the swing of things. It’ll come, it’ll come. Keep getting your hits and your confidence comes up and all of a sudden you’re not swinging as hard, you’re not trying to do too much. Home runs are thrown, right?”

6 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I think Robert was pulled because he was wasn’t hustling 

TLR's public statement was that Robert had leg soreness or something like that, specifying that was why he didn't stretch his last hit into a double.  I'm thinking he was pulled because of a lack of hustle, and Tony gave him a public excuse.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tony said:

I hadn't see the video until now, that was a terrible play by Robert. He deserves to be benched for it. And on one hand, I don't hate the tact TLR is using here. On the other hand, I don't like that this seems to be a consistent thing under his watch. 

My problem is he used the word "ouchies"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://theathletic.com/3375167/2022/06/21/white-sox-injuries/
Menechino on why Robert became a singles hitter…

“The 10 days off really killed him,” Menechino told The Athletic. “He kind of lost his contact points. He kind of lost his confidence in stuff. Having 10 days off and coming back, now he’s starting to get back in the swing of things. It’ll come, it’ll come. Keep getting your hits and your confidence comes up and all of a sudden you’re not swinging as hard, you’re not trying to do too much. Home runs are thrown, right?”

This organization really knows how to work excuses. Hitting coach already trying to save his job. 

• Haha 1

I am also concerned about Abreu’s foot problems. He certainly was hobbling shen trying to run to 1B

prettg big hit if Engel and Mendick hit the IL and gets worse if Jose is added. I still think Robert was pulled for not hustling but who knows for sure 

38 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I am also concerned about Abreu’s foot problems. He certainly was hobbling shen trying to run to 1B

prettg big hit if Engel and Mendick hit the IL and gets worse if Jose is added. I still think Robert was pulled for not hustling but who knows for sure 

They said hip yesterday, is it both?

He always seems to be hurting, plays through it, and right when I think he should get time off because of the slump he is in, suddenly he breaks out. This has happened like 4-5 times in his career.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They said hip yesterday, is it both?

He always seems to be hurting, plays through it, and right when I think he should get time off because of the slump he is in, suddenly he breaks out. This has happened like 4-5 times in his career.

It's much easier to deal with things like that when he plays 1B or DH only.