Lenyn Sosa joins the White Sox (Update Pg. 5)

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I hope the kid does great!!  

I do get this feeling that they maybe showcasing him for a trade at some point.

If you were doing that, you leave him in the minors to build up numbers where he’s already having success. 

Guys coming up and struggling for a few weeks, especially from AA, is the norm. This generally makes people question a young player’s value. Guys coming up and taking immediately are rare, and teams probably focus on the BABIP line if they do.

Teams can also scout guys plenty in the minor leagues too.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My worry with this is that Mendick is only a deep bruise, he’s only gone for a few weeks, Sosa plays like 3-4 games a week before the AS break and doesn’t really get a chance before Mendick returns.

Yep, and he has played 2B, SS, and 3B so hopefully hes not coming up to just get a backup role in the infield

Edited by T R U

29 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I hope the kid does great!!  

I do get this feeling that they maybe showcasing him for a trade at some point.

Don't know about that. If he does well he's a potential superstar. If he struggles ( which is likely to happen) it's not much of a showcase. A better showcase might be sticking him in AAA and letting him rake there too in a ball park made for hitting.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My worry with this is that Mendick is only a deep bruise, he’s only gone for a few weeks, Sosa plays like 3-4 games a week before the AS break and doesn’t really get a chance before Mendick returns.

What the big deal if this happens?  Just send him back to AA/AAA then when Mendick gets back.  I'd love to see him play more than 3-4 days a week, but they are not going to glue Harrison and Leury to the bench, and yoan should be back next week sometime further crowding the IF picture.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The way they've slow played young players into the lineup, Vaughn for instance, I don't him getting more games than that anyway.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think they're promoting what has now become the team's prized prospect from AA to the Big Leagues without the intent of giving him the chance to claim an everyday role on this team. 

I think if Mendick by some miracle avoids the 60 day, he'll simply comeback and either go to AAA for insurance or Harrison would have finally been DFAd. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What the big deal if this happens?  Just send him back to AA/AAA then when Mendick gets back.  I'd love to see him play more than 3-4 days a week, but they are not going to glue Harrison and Leury to the bench, and yoan should be back next week sometime further crowding the IF picture.

I don’t want to have a guy in a rhythm and then break that rhythm by moving him between 3 levels and playing him 9 games over three weeks. 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't think they're promoting what has now become the team's prized prospect from AA to the Big Leagues without the intent of giving him the chance to claim an everyday role on this team. 

I think if Mendick by some miracle avoids the 60 day, he'll simply comeback and either go to AAA for insurance or Harrison would have finally been DFAd. 

It would also stink for Mendick to have actually earned a spot and then lose the spot because of an injury (unless someone else genuinely outplayed him).

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Based on how much guys who were playing all of the time aren't currently playing, there is definitely more going on than we know.  Unless something crazy happens again, Sosa is going to have to play a pretty fair amount while he is up here.  I don't know what Danny's status is, or how long he will be out, but Leury is obviously hurt, Moncada is out, TA still isn't 100%, and they don't seem to trust Burger to play 3rd very much.  Sosa might not start a day or two a week, but a guy like Harrison is going to be getting play to fill in behind some of these other guys leaving plenty of ABs for Sosa at 2b and SS.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Based on how much guys who were playing all of the time aren't currently playing, there is definitely more going on than we know.  Unless something crazy happens again, Sosa is going to have to play a pretty fair amount while he is up here.  I don't know what Danny's status is, or how long he will be out, but Leury is obviously hurt, Moncada is out, TA still isn't 100%, and they don't seem to trust Burger to play 3rd very much.  Sosa might not start a day or two a week, but a guy like Harrison is going to be getting play to fill in behind some of these other guys leaving plenty of ABs for Sosa at 2b and SS.

I’d be ok with 5 games a week or so with the usual offday, but Im used to guys getting fewer than that to rest or protect them or whatever. I would not be thrilled with that treatment.

If you’re calling a kid up from AA you just gotta play him.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I’d be ok with 5 games a week or so with the usual offday, but Im used to guys getting fewer than that to rest or protect them or whatever. I would not be thrilled with that treatment.

If you’re calling a kid up from AA you just gotta play him.

I have to imagine this is a desperation move.  If they were looking to fill time, they don't go down for Sosa.  They would have either gone higher floor for someone like Yolbert, or tried to find someone on waivers/small trade.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

unfortunately though I am pro Sosa on a long timeline, this is a legitimate jump. I don't know about a big jump here, but, worth a shot.

Sosa has been a slow starter at every level so far (in part because he has been young for each level), and now he's making far and away the biggest jump yet. In his first month at each level, he OPSed  .456 at  Kannapolis, .580 at W-S, and .625ish at Birmingham. He also has a new swing that is only 60 games old. Certainly there will be some kinks to iron out in the new approach, and major league scouts and pitchers will be ready to find and exploit those holes way faster and more aggressively than AA pitchers.

I could see this guy being a stud 2B for us by the end of 2023. But the evidence says this first trip to the majors could be rough, and I think the board will turn on him by week 2 if he is playing every day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have to imagine this is a desperation move.  If they were looking to fill time, they don't go down for Sosa.  They would have either gone higher floor for someone like Yolbert, or tried to find someone on waivers/small trade.

This. If all they wanted was a depth guy for a few weeks that's Yolbert. This move is a come up and take it kid move.

I like the move. Bring him up and play him immediately against the orioles. Less pressure on him than versus teams like the blue jays, yanks, Astros etc. Lets see what the kid brings to the table. He can’t do much worse than Leurys 3ks a night  

25 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Sosa has been a slow starter at every level so far (in part because he has been young for each level), and now he's making far and away the biggest jump yet. In his first month at each level, he OPSed  .456 at  Kannapolis, .580 at W-S, and .625ish at Birmingham. He also has a new swing that is only 60 games old. Certainly there will be some kinks to iron out in the new approach, and major league scouts and pitchers will be ready to find and exploit those holes way faster and more aggressively than AA pitchers.

I could see this guy being a stud 2B for us by the end of 2023. But the evidence says this first trip to the majors could be rough, and I think the board will turn on him by week 2 if he is playing every day.

I will be annoyed if Mendick comes back and they send Mendick down while this kid is struggling. I will be annoyed if they keep benching him for Harrison and Leury when those guys are playing poorly. I won’t be annoyed if they keep playing him while he’s hitting .100.