Lenyn Sosa joins the White Sox (Update Pg. 5)

southsider2k5

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They definitely can.  THere is no IL in the offseason.  They've done similar things with with Ryan Burr and Luis Gonzalez when injured in previous season.  They actually just did it again with Burr a week or two ago when he was on the 40 man and MLB IL. 

I don't think they will or should do this with Mendick, but its definitely within the rules.  

Do you know if they still responsible for his medical care? I would assume so when they are injured they are on workers compensation as with any other injured worker. 

I found this, sounds like they will have to cut him (any team would honestly) but will be on the hook for his medical expenses:

The second type of injured list is the 60-day injured list. A player on this list can be replaced both on the active roster and the Major League roster during the regular season and post-season. However, he must return to the Major League roster during the off-season if his team wants to retain his services for the future. This is used for more serious injuries that require many weeks of healing. Some players who are in fact retired are put on the 60-day injured list for insurance purposes; this was the case of Albert Belle, who spent two full seasons on the Baltimore Orioles injured list after announcing his retirement in spring training 2001 because of a degenerative hip injury. This move allowed the Orioles to claim reimbursement for a portion of Belle's guaranteed salary from an insurance company, but it also meant that they had to put Belle's name back on the Major League roster after the 2001 and 2002 seasons, thus losing a spot for an actual player.

Just a terrible break for Danny. He was on the verge of securing a future as a MLB utility man either in Chicago or somewhere else and now I'd say the over under on future career PA is probably something like 200 instead of 500-800. He's losing the prime 18-24 month window he had to accrue time and get some chances.

43 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Do you know if they still responsible for his medical care? I would assume so when they are injured they are on workers compensation as with any other injured worker. 

It’s either 43 days of service time or 1 day, I can’t remember, but it doesn’t matter with Mendick, he qualifies for lifetime healthcare.

32 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Only the White Sox would base the near future of their (arguable) top prospect off a literal one game sample. It really sucks for Sosa, too. You get called up for the first time in your career only to be told you're starting just one game, and it if doesn't go well, you're probably back to the minors 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:54 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Based on how much guys who were playing all of the time aren't currently playing, there is definitely more going on than we know.  Unless something crazy happens again, Sosa is going to have to play a pretty fair amount while he is up here.  I don't know what Danny's status is, or how long he will be out, but Leury is obviously hurt, Moncada is out, TA still isn't 100%, and they don't seem to trust Burger to play 3rd very much.  Sosa might not start a day or two a week, but a guy like Harrison is going to be getting play to fill in behind some of these other guys leaving plenty of ABs for Sosa at 2b and SS.

Cough.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I found this, sounds like they will have to cut him (any team would honestly) but will be on the hook for his medical expenses:

The second type of injured list is the 60-day injured list. A player on this list can be replaced both on the active roster and the Major League roster during the regular season and post-season. However, he must return to the Major League roster during the off-season if his team wants to retain his services for the future. This is used for more serious injuries that require many weeks of healing. Some players who are in fact retired are put on the 60-day injured list for insurance purposes; this was the case of Albert Belle, who spent two full seasons on the Baltimore Orioles injured list after announcing his retirement in spring training 2001 because of a degenerative hip injury. This move allowed the Orioles to claim reimbursement for a portion of Belle's guaranteed salary from an insurance company, but it also meant that they had to put Belle's name back on the Major League roster after the 2001 and 2002 seasons, thus losing a spot for an actual player.

Just a terrible break for Danny. He was on the verge of securing a future as a MLB utility man either in Chicago or somewhere else and now I'd say the over under on future career PA is probably something like 200 instead of 500-800. He's losing the prime 18-24 month window he had to accrue time and get some chances.

Thanks! I figured as much.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Only the White Sox would base the near future of their (arguable) top prospect off a literal one game sample. It really sucks for Sosa, too. You get called up for the first time in your career only to be told you're starting just one game, and it if doesn't go well, you're probably back to the minors 

Didn't someone post that Boston did this exact thing but he was sent down the next day? He was up for just one day.

If Sosa is up for a week, the thing they’re burning on him is a minor league option.

Maybe this doesn’t matter. But then we burn an option this year, we burn an option next year to send him to AAA, and then either he struggles in his first big league year or gets hurt, now you have to decide whether to DFA him. 

Probably this doesn’t matter, but it’s one of those unnecessary errors that only has to be important once. For 10 years we heard about how it didn’t matter that we were trading prospects because they were never any good…until all of a sudden it mattered a lot! Classic Russian roulette.

JD Martinez got called up in 2011 when he was probably supposed to spend most of the year at AA. He struggled in the bigs and got sent down. In 2012 he was used as a near everyday player and struggled. In 2013 they dropped him to a part time player and he got a few minor league at bats. Never got a majority AAA season. After that he was released and Detroit signed him. Oh.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Sosa is up for a week, the thing they’re burning on him is a minor league option.

Maybe this doesn’t matter. But then we burn an option this year, we burn an option next year to send him to AAA, and then either he struggles in his first big league year or gets hurt, now you have to decide whether to DFA him. 

Probably this doesn’t matter, but it’s one of those unnecessary errors that only has to be important once. For 10 years we heard about how it didn’t matter that we were trading prospects because they were never any good…until all of a sudden it mattered a lot! Classic Russian roulette.

JD Martinez got called up in 2011 when he was probably supposed to spend most of the year at AA. He struggled in the bigs and got sent down. In 2012 he was used as a near everyday player and struggled. In 2013 they dropped him to a part time player and he got a few minor league at bats. Never got a majority AAA season. After that he was released and Detroit signed him. Oh.

Similar situation with David Ortiz in Minnesota.

Way back in the day, that's how we ended up with Damaso Marte when the Pirates ran out of options on him and were pretty much forced to trade him.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s either 43 days of service time or 1 day, I can’t remember, but it doesn’t matter with Mendick, he qualifies for lifetime healthcare.

IIRC, 1 day is insurance, and 43 puts you into the pension program.  10 years is fully vested. 

19 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am starting to think Tony sees Sosa has the back up SS right now 

I think he thought it was Sammy Sosa and is pissed he didn’t get another massive juicer on his team, as that’s the only way he’s successful.