Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Lenyn Sosa joins the White Sox (Update Pg. 5)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

The Sox aren't calling up Sosa to let him dick around and try to learn the OF in the big leagues. He'll be playing 2B everyday.

That's great to hear but you have to admit it is not unusual to question this organizations penchant for dicking around.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So either someone has to get DFA or someone has to go on the 60 day IL.

Probably Mendick to the 60 day IL. Sounds like Engel’s injury may be more concerning because it’s the same hamstring so he may be out for awhile as well. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are more moves.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited to see what Sosa can do....not too excited about more time for Hasely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's great to hear but you have to admit it is not unusual to question this organizations penchant for dicking around.

“A right-handed hitter, Sosa owns some of the best hand-eye coordination and bat-to-ball skills in the system but needs to make better swing decisions to reach his offensive potential. He rarely walks and gets himself out too often by making weak contact. He has enough bat speed and projectable strength to deliver 15 or more homers per season if he can adopt a more selective approach. 

Sosa has good actions, reliable hands and solid arm strength at shortstop, but his below-average speed leads to subpar range. He fits better at second or third base, though those positions will demand more offense. He may be more of a bat-first utilityman than a true everyday player.”
 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/whitesox/lenyn-sosa-672820

 

Need to tap the brakes a bit…it’s exciting to see change, but a Top 10-15 MiLB guy like Andrew Vaughn didn’t even get everyday playing time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Probably Mendick to the 60 day IL. Sounds like Engel is going to be out for awhile as well. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are more moves.

Where are you getting this Engel news? Jumping to 60 day IL based on news we have on Mendick at this point seems a tad premature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The Sox aren't calling up Sosa to let him dick around and try to learn the OF in the big leagues. He'll be playing 2B everyday.

In a perfect world, yes. With all the injuries, he could wind up anywhere. They are calling him up because Mendick and others are injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where are you getting this Engel news? Jumping to 60 day IL based on news we have on Mendick at this point seems a tad premature. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“A right-handed hitter, Sosa owns some of the best hand-eye coordination and bat-to-ball skills in the system but needs to make better swing decisions to reach his offensive potential. He rarely walks and gets himself out too often by making weak contact. He has enough bat speed and projectable strength to deliver 15 or more homers per season if he can adopt a more selective approach. 

Sosa has good actions, reliable hands and solid arm strength at shortstop, but his below-average speed leads to subpar range. He fits better at second or third base, though those positions will demand more offense. He may be more of a bat-first utilityman than a true everyday player.”
 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/whitesox/lenyn-sosa-672820

 

Need to tap the brakes a bit…it’s exciting to see change, but a Top 10-15 MiLB guy like Andrew Vaughn didn’t even get everyday playing time.

Imagine referencing this scouting report, from before the season when Sosa was ranked like #22 in the Sox system by pipeline.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Imagine referencing this scouting report, from before the season when Sosa was ranked like #22 in the Sox system by pipeline.

Hey his ETA according to that pipeline is 2023....whats going on here? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Imagine referencing this scouting report, from before the season when Sosa was ranked like #22 in the Sox system by pipeline.

But 2-3 months of minor league play doesn’t change a player’s basic profile, either.

Obviously, scouts cast Alexei Ramirez as a utility player and they were completely wrong.

Sosa is not a left-handed hitter to balance out the lineup and he’s not a speed-based, dynamic game changing presence.

Sometimes we do players a disservice when we expect too much…simply for NOT being Harrison or Leury or Mendick. It’s the classic back-up QB syndrome.
 

I do hope he goes on an absolute tear offensively, but forty years watching the White Sox tells me the odds of this happening are not exactly the highest, either.  Anything over a 675-700 ops would be a pleasant surprise.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It almost has to be a DFA of a pitcher.  Going to guess Aybar who has been awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It almost has to be a DFA of a pitcher.  Going to guess Aybar who has been awful. 

I'm going to guess it'll be Severino....this is kinda like the opposite of pick to click.....crap to cut?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Terrible break for mendick. He'd been playing great. Baseball is a cruel game. 

What is your prediction on Sosa?

It’s certainly a higher upside play than Yolbert Sanchez…but players numerous have had issues the last two seasons going from AAA to the bigs, let alone Birmingham to Chicago.

 

That injury in theory doesn’t happen with the veteran Pollock more likely to take charge of the situation…versus someone new to the team and just trying to do whatever they possibly can to stick around and make an impression.

 

… 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But 2-3 months of minor league play doesn’t change a player’s basic profile, either.

Granted, but Sosa has made big mechanical adjustments.  I’m not saying he’s gonna tear the league up right away or even this year, but he has 140 wrc+ at Birmingham and is on a pace to hit 30 hr in that ballpark.  I’d say it’s fair to say his profile has changed.  Jose Ramirez hit 14 hr in his minor league career, then his profile changed. It happens.  Maybe the Sox did something right?  Anyway, I’m excited to see him. Predicting he is up to mostly play 3b because Tony doesn’t like Burger’s defense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has been such a great watch this season and the progress has been incredible.

Props to @bmags on being the OG Sosa guy though. He was on the Sosa train before he was even in Kanny I believe.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Granted, but Sosa has made big mechanical adjustments.  I’m not saying he’s gonna tear the league up right away or even this year, but he has 140 wrc+ at Birmingham and is on a pace to hit 30 hr in that ballpark.  I’d say it’s fair to say his profile has changed.  Jose Ramirez hit 14 hr in his minor league career, then his profile changed. It happens.  Maybe the Sox did something right?  Anyway, I’m excited to see him. Predicting he is up to mostly play 3b because Tony doesn’t like Burger’s defense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonyblengino/2019/04/29/jose-ramirez-and-the-slump-that-wouldnt-end/?sh=2b4c14e64770
And his 2019 slump even made it into Forbes, lol.  That guy is just so physically tough, he was born to play baseball even though he certainly doesn’t look like it physically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t AA supposed to be where all your best young guys are at and AAA is where all the guys that go between the show and AAA all the time. Bringing up a guy from AA is not a big deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, runtheballdown said:

Isn’t AA supposed to be where all your best young guys are at and AAA is where all the guys that go between the show and AAA all the time. Bringing up a guy from AA is not a big deal

Best prospects/best raw stuff.

But not the precise command/control you see in the big leagues.  And not the control of more than just one or two basic pitches more typical at lower levels where pure stuff just dominates.  The refinement almost always happens between AA and the majors, with multiple trips up and down.

All that said, the missing development time in 2020-21 has been tough for a lot of players to work through…look at Andrew Vaughn, possessing perhaps the best prospect pedigree of any Sox hitter since Thomas and Ventura.
 

Kelenic, Torkelson, Rutschman, Abrams, etc.  It has been 2-3 years since rookies just came up and dominated from Day 1.  Not to mention how much tougher bullpens have gotten, especially over the last 3-5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Best prospects/best raw stuff.

But not the precise command/control you see in the big leagues.  And not the control of more than just one or two basic pitches more typical at lower levels where pure stuff just dominates.  The refinement almost always happens between AA and the majors, with multiple trips up and down.

All that said, the missing development time in 2020-21 has been tough for a lot of players to work through…look at Andrew Vaughn, possessing perhaps the best prospect pedigree of any Sox hitter since Thomas and Ventura.
 

Kelenic, Torkelson, Rutschman, Abrams, etc.  It has been 2-3 years since rookies just came up and dominated from Day 1.  Not to mention how much tougher bullpens have gotten, especially over the last 3-5 years.

Hater 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't want Tony to fuck this up.  

Sosa needs to play everyday.  If I see Harrison or Leury taking time from this kid my head will explode. 

My lineup for now

TA SS 

Vaughn RF

Robert CF 

Abreu 1B

Pollack LF 

Burger DH 

Sosa 2B

Catcher 

Harrison 3B

 

Grandal and Yoan come back then we can start to feast 1-9. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

sorry I don’t know how to embed

 

James Fox

If the #WhiteSox called up Lenyn Sosa from
@BhamBarons I believe he’d be in the big leagues to stay. They won’t be interested in adding him to the 40-man briefly with the intention of a short stint. Could be an interesting 24 hours.”

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesFox917/status/1539777118434955265

Maybe he’s headed to AAA. It looks like their bench is as short as the big league club 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×