O's v. Sox, 6/23/22 GT

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If they win 3/4 (or better) I may start to think they have a shot again

Gotta get 3/4 here.  Next 2 series in Cali will be tough again.  And then we get a longgggg schedule breather. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you call the Guardians and Twins a breather...at 1-7 combined against.

We definitely have to start playing well head to head against Cleveland and Minnesota or we are gonna see a lot of Jim Mora around here.

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you call the Guardians and Twins a breather...at 1-7 combined against.

I do.  Neither are very good and if we can't beat them nothing matters anyway.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

If they win 3/4 (or better) I may start to think they have a shot again

I am not a believer right now. I need to see a real good 20 game stretch first. This team can't get hot because of consistently poor defense, terrible base running, Gio, injuries, and bad managing. We have got to go on a 15-5 stretch. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I am not a believer right now. I need to see a real good 20 game stretch first. This team can't get hot because of consistently poor defense, terrible base running, Gio, injuries, and bad managing. We have got to go on a 15-5 stretch. 

Not really.  Sox a 4.5 GB having played under .500 ball 42% of the way thru the season.  85 wins legitimately could win this division.  Sox remaining schedule is easiest in the league, and gets a whole lot easier in 10 days.  A 15-5 stretch would be great, but its not necessary.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  Sox a 4.5 GB having played under .500 ball 42% of the way thru the season.  85 wins legitimately could win this division.  Sox remaining schedule is easiest in the league, and gets a whole lot easier in 10 days.  A 15-5 stretch would be great, but its not necessary.  

It is necessary to show we are a really good team. Cleveland is on a 17-4 run right now. The bar is World Series for this team, not bum ass 85 wins and winning a bad division. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It is necessary to show we are a really good team. Cleveland is on a 17-4 run right now. The bar is World Series for this team, not bum ass 85 wins and winning a bad division. 

Shrug.  Got to get to the playoffs to a win a world series.  This team isn't winning 95+ games at this point, just have to hope they're playing their best ball of the season come mid-to-late September.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's not necessary to go 15-5, that's a bit dramatic.  Nobody in October is going to be like "if they only went 15-5 in July and showed they were a good team...."

how the team is playing in September is what matters to me, of course with the caveat of being in playoff contention 

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shrug.  Got to get to the playoffs to a win a world series.  This team isn't winning 95+ games at this point, just have to hope they're playing their best ball of the season come mid-to-late September.  

Sure we'd all love to see 95 wins, but that isn't going to happen in 2022.  Forget it.  If they make it, it will be around 90 wins.

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They aren't a really good team right now.  They are missing nearly half the lineup. What matter is if they are a really good team in August and September. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Eh, I don't understand or subscribe to this "if you don't win the world series you are a failure" mentality. 

There is a middle ground. If the Sox win the division and advance to the Championship series, that is a successful season even if they lose that series. Is it what we ultimately want? Of course not, but it would be a successful year. 

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Eh, I don't understand or subscribe to this "if you don't win the world series you are a failure" mentality. 

There is a middle ground. If the Sox win the division and advance to the Championship series, that is a successful season even if they lose that series. Is it what we ultimately want? Of course not, but it would be a successful year. 

I hate to say it, but especially this year.  This year has been a damned disaster.  To come out of it with a playoff birth would be good for these players.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What I subscribe to is "if they make the postseason but don't win the world series, they'll be less motivated to improve to a world series winning team in this window"

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What I subscribe to is "if they make the postseason but don't win the world series, they'll be less motivated to improve to a world series winning team in this window"

Every time they fail to win, the pressure to rescue Tony LaRussa is going to grow.  This was Jerry's move to save this window, and he is the one who looks bad if it doesn't happen.  I think that has weight.

40 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This should be a fun "guess the lineup" day. I'll go with:

TA 6, Vaughn 3, Robert 8, Burger DH, Pollock 7, McGuire 2, Harrison 5, Leury 9, Sosa 4

If Jose somehow convinces Tony he can play, put him at DH and Burger at 3B.

Did I miss something on Abreu? Why wouldn't he be in the lineup?

38 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The improvement needs to come from within the personnel already in place. 

I think people who think if we don't make the playoffs this will all of a sudden light a fire to go out and spend insanely in free agency are sadly mistaken (yet again). 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

You have to re-adjust your bar based on the hand you're dealt. 

The Sox have been destroyed by injuries and yet still hovering the .500 mark.   Making the playoffs and having a puncher's chance would feel like a huge win to me at this point. 

• Like 1