O's v. Sox, 6/23/22 GT

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Abreu is also 7 or 8 years older than most of the core of this team. And yet, he somehow still plays through pain. I'm not sure if that's just the greatness of Jose or an indictment against the rest of core. 

It's the greatness of Jose. 

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Abreu is also 7 or 8 years older than most of the core of this team. And yet, he somehow still plays through pain. I'm not sure if that's just the greatness of Jose or an indictment against the rest of core. 

Both, but probably more of Jose's greatness.  Moncada and Robert wince and limp around every time they swing a bat.  I think a lot of that is theater/habit, especially with Robert.  But Jose would probably have to be missing a leg before he would agree to sit.  It's amazing how many guys have hurt themselves, to the point of having to go on the IL, by running to 1st.  Jose takes a baseball to the face, a bat to the knee, and still plays.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Presuably a torn ACL is > 60 day injury, so why put him on the 10 day and move Eloy to the 60 day when they're just going to move Mendick to the 60 day when Eloy comes back?

Because the Sox don't have anyone else they want to add to the 40 man. When Eloy comes back they'll move Mendick to the 60 day.

45 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They guy just got to Chicago and I can see giving him a day to learn where everything is and actually meet his teammates.

lol pal, this isn't some desk job. The field is the field, dugout the dugout, and clubhouse the clubhouse. You think they're doing meet and greets and discussing things they like to do in their free-time before the game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Yeah, I was ready to blow up myself but if he literally just walked into the clubhouse at 3PM when guys are probably already doing preparation then I understand why he isn't starting. 

However, what kind of damn travel arrangements did they get for him if Mendick was pulled off in the early part of of a day game?    He should have been on an evening flight here or one first thing in the AM. 

Have you traveled anywhere by plane in the last two years?

• Like 1

I shit on it, and want to hate it, but i actually don't fully disagree with sitting Sosa tonight seeing as Harrison has been good of late and Sosa hasn't been above AA. I think that's Harrison's job again (unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you slice it) and that he has earned (very light interpretation) to have that be his job while he's playing well. All of that said I do hope to see Sosa get his chance and we obviously desperately need a spark. Right now Harrison is providing a spark, i just think as fans, and maybe even as a team, we need a few more sparks and the "new guy" is generally a good way to do so. ,

Hopefully we can take 3/4 from the Orioles despite our injuries and by next week this time we're having healthy lineups with fully productive Yaz, Yoan, and Eloy instead of getting upset about Sheets v. Haseley. 

Next week I'd hope our lineup is:

Anderson SS

Vaughn DH

Robert CF

Abreu 1B

Eloy DH

Pollock LF

Yaz C

Yoan 3B

Whoever is swinging a hot bat (Sosa, Harrison ... puke Leury ...)

Bench of Burger/Haseley/McGuire/ ____ 

God forbid for my mental health Abreu or Robert go to the IL ... that Yaz's back or legs continue to be sore and "day to day" or that Eloy doesn't progress. I'm losing my positive vibes by the hour with this team. i want to stay positive, just not much more I can take. 

We've won what ... 6 of 9? and 6 of those were against playoff foes. and real ones. really really good teams. even with the shit lineup yesterday afternoon they fought back when TLR pulled everybody and said not too. We can keep this going. Let's grab today, and move on to tomorrow. 

By the way for tonights game ... Kremer is looking damn good this year. His fastball has been very, very good (small sample size) but his changeup has been suspect and he's throwing more of them this year. Last year he was 14% barrel and terrible exit velocity and xERA, etc. This year, totally different. basically no barrels. Let's hope it's just the small sample size though. The fastball only went up from 92.6 to 93.6 ... so it's not something crazy. Just nobody hitting it thus far through 3 games. Let's hunt early. he's throwing that pitch over 50% of the time. early and often! 

Go go sox. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing about this lineup makes sense, but this takes the cake. 

I'd way prefer AV in RF over Sheets.  Only possible explanation is that AV has looked a tad hobbled lately as well.  

Eyes did not deceive. 

1 minute ago, KipWellsFan said:

Is this sarcasm?

I mean his comment about Sosa starting 1/4 games this weekend is insane. What’s the point? Let the kid play. See if he can hack it. Sitting in the bench 3/4 games aint it.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean his comment about Sosa starting 1/4 games this weekend is insane. What’s the point? Let the kid play. See if he can hack it. Sitting in the bench 3/4 games aint it.

Fair, I just don't think (considering how much else TLR already screws up) that we need to lose it because the guy doesn't start his first game up. He was called up because we are in a pinch. It's not because we think he will be the world's next great infielder immediately.

Edited by KipWellsFan
I don't think I read the room on how much everyone hates everything. And that's fair.

2 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Fair, I just don't think (considering how much else TLR already screws up) that we need to lose it because the guy doesn't start his first game up. He was called up because we are in a pinch. It's not because we think he will be the world's next great infielder immediately.

Yeah, I think not starting today has *some* merit, though I'd certainly have him in there.  But the comment was just unncessary.  As @Balta1701 said, just say he's starting tomorrow and leave it at that.  But this is TLR we're talking about...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

If we need a "call up in a pinch", you call up Yolbert who is already at AAA, and has a far higher liklihood of just being a AAAA/Utl player.. Not someone in AA, who is finally mashing and showing he may be real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Fine. You are giving him a day to get comfortable and let the nerves die down. I don’t believe that works at all but blah.

You know what doesn’t help nerves? Sitting around on a bench next to a bunch of people he barely knows waiting for his first at bat with no idea when it will come because the manager won’t commit to starting him tomorrow. Maybe he can keep himself awake for 3 nights wondering when it will come, that’ll help nerves!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

If that's the case, just call up Romy (already on the 40-man) then. Or Yolbert.

Edited by Bob Sacamano