Baby/Parenting Thread

pettie4sox

9 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Any tips for dealing with a fussy newborn?

Sorry bud. It's going to feel like forever but promise it will just kinda evaporate. Your pediatrician should have some good tips based on if its around trouble staying asleep, getting to sleep, or discomfort.

For calming my kids down to sleep, I always felt like walking and bouncing them gently got them to a sleep state quickest, but my wife always rocked and didn't like the walking. When they were really crying, I did this I found on a youtube one day but now I can't find. I swaddled them (while still possible), and laid them on their back onto my lap while I was sitting, with their heads toward my knee. Then I would have my hands gently on their front, and rock my knees side to side while I shushed. 

I don't know how clear that is in text but it was my go-to. A lot of this stuff is in here:

This also won't help you for a few weeks, but we swore by this book. But we also may have just been lucky. 

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Hours-Sleep-Weeks-Step/dp/0525949593/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GZH1D99VU8I3&keywords=12+weeks+of+sleep+by+12+weeks+old&qid=1656512769&sprefix=12+weeks+of+sleep+by+12+weeks+old%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-1

One thing that sucks is our infants always really calmed down in the rock 'n play chairs, which were inclined rockers. They have almost all been recalled. But I know last case scenario I'd also put mine in their car seat carrier and swing them back and forth in pretty wide swings.

This stuff all worked on my kids. Then I watched my cousins baby and none of it worked lol. But they like motion, shushing, sucking, and you'll find the right combo for your kid.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Mine just turned 5 months a week ago. When he was really on a roll, I'd cradle him in my arms, take him by the faucet, and turn it on. It usually did the trick pretty quickly, so you're not just wasting gallons of water. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Well isn't that a billion dollar question.

Again, in my humble experience it is usually.... 1) tired 2) hungry 3) the need a new diaper 4) some form of irritation (sometimes that was me) sometimes it's that they twitch and startle themselves awake or something... 

And it really could be absolutely none of these.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Sorry bud. It's going to feel like forever but promise it will just kinda evaporate. Your pediatrician should have some good tips based on if its around trouble staying asleep, getting to sleep, or discomfort.

For calming my kids down to sleep, I always felt like walking and bouncing them gently got them to a sleep state quickest, but my wife always rocked and didn't like the walking. When they were really crying, I did this I found on a youtube one day but now I can't find. I swaddled them (while still possible), and laid them on their back onto my lap while I was sitting, with their heads toward my knee. Then I would have my hands gently on their front, and rock my knees side to side while I shushed. 

I don't know how clear that is in text but it was my go-to. A lot of this stuff is in here:

This also won't help you for a few weeks, but we swore by this book. But we also may have just been lucky. 

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Hours-Sleep-Weeks-Step/dp/0525949593/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GZH1D99VU8I3&keywords=12+weeks+of+sleep+by+12+weeks+old&qid=1656512769&sprefix=12+weeks+of+sleep+by+12+weeks+old%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-1

One thing that sucks is our infants always really calmed down in the rock 'n play chairs, which were inclined rockers. They have almost all been recalled. But I know last case scenario I'd also put mine in their car seat carrier and swing them back and forth in pretty wide swings.

This stuff all worked on my kids. Then I watched my cousins baby and none of it worked lol. But they like motion, shushing, sucking, and you'll find the right combo for your kid.

The rock n play chairs were amazing.  They worked great with all our kids too.  Our 2nd actually slept in hers overnight ALOT.  For some reason it was just better for her than the bassinet.  

Our kids all really gravitated towards the pacifiers too.  They were always really helpful.

• Love 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, pettie4sox said:

Has anyone ever hired help with kid?  Nannies, doulas, au pairs, etc…?

My brother hired a nanny and has gone through two of them. He’s starting to look for a daycare and is having a hard time finding one that makes sense from a commute perspective. Make sure you get on a list for one now or soon if you are intending on using one.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

My kid spits up non-stop and eats a ton.  He is gaining weight and the pediatrician says he's OK.  How can you tell if a fussy baby is pain or is just hungry?  He seems like he writhing in pain from gas but you give him the bottle and he immediately ceases adverse emotions.  I'm so confused lol.

So, much experience with this.  Big possibility of reflux/gerd.  I suggest baby sleeping with a crib wedge.  If the baby sounds congested after eating, it sounds like reflux.  There are all different kinds of formula to help, Alimentum helped us.   We had to get imaging done to see the reflux.  Also could be driven by some intolerance, our kids had milk protein issues.  The treatments that work are not fda approved, but work wonders.  You need a GI doc that will listen, some do not.  It normally manifests between week three and 6.....

• Love 1

Are there GI docs that specialize with infants?  The issue is our bassinet is a Snoo so I don't know if they have a crib wedge attachment, I'll look into it.  It's really hard to tell with him, he doesn't cry much unless he's hungry which is a god send so far.  The parenting shtick is hard, I just want my kid to be comfortable.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Is this because the anxiety shifts to the newest kid?

I can't speak from my own experience as I don't have kids yet but talking to people who have multiple kids make it seems like its because you're already experienced.

And my sister had a baby girl in April. I feel like once they can sit up on their own and you don't have to worry about the neck as much it feels way different (at least for me when I spend time with her).

On 6/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, pettie4sox said:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread like this already, but I'm expecting my first child next month.  Any advice from soxtalk parents?

Thanks in advance!

First congrats on yr newborn son! Happy for you! I'm in my 60s and never married or had kids (the price I paid for being a player for most my life) but all my friends have told me theres nothing like having a kid, which I can believe. You care to comment on what its like? And despite minor annoyances, its gotta be the most wonderful feeling in the world! Good for you!

17 hours ago, The Grinder said:

First congrats on yr newborn son! Happy for you! I'm in my 60s and never married or had kids (the price I paid for being a player for most my life) but all my friends have told me theres nothing like having a kid, which I can believe. You care to comment on what its like? And despite minor annoyances, its gotta be the most wonderful feeling in the world! Good for you!

Thanks brother!  I would post pictures, but I feel most of our forum colleagues would think it's probably cringe.  He's a laid back baby for the most part.  Doesn't cry unless he wants to eat or sleep.  I'm grateful he's been easy to care for, and I know the storm is coming soon.  The kid is ridiculously cute and I have to fight off mothers at the daycare when I pick him up.  Even his teacher doesn't want to give him up when I pick him up.  I don't know if it'll translate when he is older but if it does.  He's going to be fighting off people haha.  I know, I know you might say it's parental bias but I'm as pragmatic as they come.  It's a wonderful thing to become a parent, I have seen my own personal changes as result.

19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Definitely because of experience, and a comfort feeling of having done it once already.

Makes sense, but I almost feel like the anxiety would double.  I always have an irrational innate feeling that I need to monitor my kid 24/7.  With technology these days, that's possible to.  I don't think I'll be a helicopter parent but I think some of my anxiety is not wanting to f*** up a kid?  I don't know if that makes sense or not.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Iwritecode said:

The problem is that when they hit the teenage years you get a whole new list of things to worry about...

Yeah, I have to eventually realize that all I can do is prepare them the best I can for the world.  I'm sure my parents worried about me all the time too.

So we had easy mode for the first six months since we had a SNOO bassinet.  We had to return it since he just turned six months.  He is rolling like crazy these days.  We transitioned to a crib and he obviously isn't sleeping as long.  He will wake up fussing on his stomach and he's also getting his limbs stuck in the crib bars.  I wanted to put on some mesh linings so he can't stick his appendages through the bars but I was told that it could be a SIDs risk.

This is crazy.