Baby/Parenting Thread

pettie4sox

1 hour ago, pettie4sox said:

So we had easy mode for the first six months since we had a SNOO bassinet.  We had to return it since he just turned six months.  He is rolling like crazy these days.  We transitioned to a crib and he obviously isn't sleeping as long.  He will wake up fussing on his stomach and he's also getting his limbs stuck in the crib bars.  I wanted to put on some mesh linings so he can't stick his appendages through the bars but I was told that it could be a SIDs risk.

This is crazy.

Do you use a sleep sack? 

19 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Yeah and we allow his arms to be free.

Gotcha. We had a few rough nights with the transition to the crib but basically took the cry it out approach and she seemed to adjust pretty quick. But obviously if there is something wrong, or they are coughing, or really working themsevles up we go in. How long has he been in the crib now? I remember watching ours on the monitor during that phase and just having to go in and flip them over when she would roll, which sucks, but it doesn't last very long. 

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Gotcha. We had a few rough nights with the transition to the crib but basically took the cry it out approach and she seemed to adjust pretty quick. But obviously if there is something wrong, or they are coughing, or really working themsevles up we go in. How long has he been in the crib now? I remember watching ours on the monitor during that phase and just having to go in and flip them over when she would roll, which sucks, but it doesn't last very long. 

Yeah we just bought a new web cam type monitor so we can see what's going.  We are essentially letting him cry it out if he wakes up in the middle of the night, but we want to monitor to make sure he's not in a compromised position.

2 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

So we had easy mode for the first six months since we had a SNOO bassinet.  We had to return it since he just turned six months.  He is rolling like crazy these days.  We transitioned to a crib and he obviously isn't sleeping as long.  He will wake up fussing on his stomach and he's also getting his limbs stuck in the crib bars.  I wanted to put on some mesh linings so he can't stick his appendages through the bars but I was told that it could be a SIDs risk.

This is crazy.

Unless something has changed in recent years SIDS is a very young baby thing primarily.  I want to say by six months the odds have dropped off a ton.

39 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Yeah we just bought a new web cam type monitor so we can see what's going.  We are essentially letting him cry it out if he wakes up in the middle of the night, but we want to monitor to make sure he's not in a compromised position.

We use the Nanit camera which has been great, really never had a problem with it and the app works really well. 

We also use a Hatch sound machine, which both helps her sleep and also keeps out other household noises. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless something has changed in recent years SIDS is a very young baby thing primarily.  I want to say by six months the odds have dropped off a ton.

I need to look into this, we sent our pediatrician a list of questions so we can prepare accordingly.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

We use the Nanit camera which has been great, really never had a problem with it and the app works really well. 

We also use a Hatch sound machine, which both helps her sleep and also keeps out other household noises. 

We have the hatch, not sure which camera my wife decided on but she typical doesn't hold back when it comes to the baby's safety.

9 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

This is crazy.

Definitely use a sleep sack. It helps keep the baby stationary and from rolling too much. Their limbs won’t get stuck in the crib bars. I wouldn’t worry about SIDS now.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

So I was tasked with finding items to fasten bookshelves, drawers, and any other tilt susceptible furniture to the wall.  Any advice on how to proceed with this?

I used this one, pretty easy to install. Recommend installing it without slack to reduce tipping potential.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SIMPLE-MOUNT-Furniture-Anti-Tip-Kit-TK400L/206411011

I'm also lucky that I don't have a climber, so it hasn't really been tested yet and hopefully never will be. 

Edited by Marqhead
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

What a wild year and change!  Kid is feeding himself, walking, and babbling all day long.  We have been fortunate that this kid has been easy on us but I fear the hammer will come soon.

This is a wildly prying question, but I need some advice.  Does any soxtalk parent have firearms in the home and have a partner who vehemently opposed to it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 8:53 AM, pettie4sox said:

What a wild year and change!  Kid is feeding himself, walking, and babbling all day long.  We have been fortunate that this kid has been easy on us but I fear the hammer will come soon.

This is a wildly prying question, but I need some advice.  Does any soxtalk parent have firearms in the home and have a partner who vehemently opposed to it?

Nope, but this would seem to be a question other parents could ask about in the future if their kids are at the house. I don’t own a firearm, but if I did, I would want it locked up and inaccessible from kids and from people who didn’t know where it was.

• 5 months later...

My little man is going to be 2 in June.  They grow up so fast.  Just yesterday it felt like he was always in my arms, now he's running around kicking over the pet water fountain and splashing water everywhere. 🤣

13 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

My little man is going to be 2 in June.  They grow up so fast.  Just yesterday it felt like he was always in my arms, now he's running around kicking over the pet water fountain and splashing water everywhere. 🤣

It’s amazing how fast they grow up and time flies. My son is 3 and it felt like just yesterday he was in diapers.

We welcomed by daughter last Tuesday and she’s a sweet little baby girl. 9 pounds 15 ounces and 21 inches long.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

It’s amazing how fast they grow up and time flies. My son is 3 and it felt like just yesterday he was in diapers.

We welcomed by daughter last Tuesday and she’s a sweet little baby girl. 9 pounds 15 ounces and 21 inches long.

Congrats!  Is this your 2nd child?  She's a big a girl!

• Love 1

22 hours ago, The Beast said:

Congrats!!! 

• Love 1

18 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Congrats!  Is this your 2nd child?  She's a big a girl!

She is our second child. Her weight has fallen since to 8 pounds 15 ounces and rebounded to 9 pounds 2 ounces. We (my wife, the pediatrician and I) think it has to do with the fat content in the breast milk and not getting enough of what our baby needs. So long story short we will be using some formula to supplement feedings and I will be cleaning, sterilizing, drying and giving bottles!

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Congrats!!! 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:41 PM, The Beast said:

She is our second child. Her weight has fallen since to 8 pounds 15 ounces and rebounded to 9 pounds 2 ounces. We (my wife, the pediatrician and I) think it has to do with the fat content in the breast milk and not getting enough of what our baby needs. So long story short we will be using some formula to supplement feedings and I will be cleaning, sterilizing, drying and giving bottles!

Thanks!!

Hopefully you have some sterilization device to make it easier.  Not sure if we'll have a second child since we're already old as is, but I would be curious how being a clueless first time parent compares to knowing what to expect to some extent.

4 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Hopefully you have some sterilization device to make it easier.  Not sure if we'll have a second child since we're already old as is, but I would be curious how being a clueless first time parent compares to knowing what to expect to some extent.

We have the Baby Breda sterilizer that both sterilizes and dries the bottles, bottle and pump parts. We got it with our son but never used it since he was entirely breast fed so we didn’t have to pay that cost.

Being a first time dad was tough since I was anxious about having a child to raise (mostly financial) and I know we made some mistakes early on, but things change and you get the hang of parenting while learning something new each day. My daughter is less temperamental and is a better sleeper than my son, but I was prepared for a baby that wasn’t a great sleeper. I think knowing this is our last baby makes things easier since we are just having two. But having more knowledge really helps with parenting a second child, there is no doubt.

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 7:25 AM, pettie4sox said:

Has anyone taken their kids to a children's play place?  I was thinking about taking my 21 month old to one tomorrow.  Any recommendations?  Things I need to be aware?

We have gone to the DuPage Children’s Museum in Naperville. If you ever go, go early to avoid the crowds. 

• Like 1