Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paulie4Pres

Imagine...

Recommended Posts

An organization so completely devoid of confidence in their ability to keep players healthy...that they are actually telling their players not to hustle to first base... How can a training staff be this inept? How can a training staff be completely incapable of conditioning their players to be able to sprint 90 feet without fucking hurting themselves? What the fuck are we doing here?

Short-handed Chicago White Sox, understanding that 'their legs are important,' tell some players to slow it down running to first base (espn.com)

I am without words. Burn this organization to the ground.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the training staff deserves some blame…let’s not take accountability away from adults getting millions to be athletes. Unless there was some sort of mandatory program forced on the players, I don’t want to hear blame for an athlete not being in the proper shape. Trainers can’t force the players to train, stretch, eat properly, sleep, ect…be accountable for your own body, it’s literally an athletes livelihood 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

While the training staff deserves some blame…let’s not take accountability away from adults getting millions to be athletes. Unless there was some sort of mandatory program forced on the players, I don’t want to hear blame for an athlete not being in the proper shape. Trainers can’t force the players to train, stretch, eat properly, sleep, ect…be accountable for your own body, it’s literally an athletes livelihood 

Maybe a certain injury prone someone should stop making music videos in the offseason and work on conditioning his damn body. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

An organization so completely devoid of confidence in their ability to keep players healthy...that they are actually telling their players not to hustle to first base... How can a training staff be this inept? How can a training staff be completely incapable of conditioning their players to be able to sprint 90 feet without fucking hurting themselves? What the fuck are we doing here?

Short-handed Chicago White Sox, understanding that 'their legs are important,' tell some players to slow it down running to first base (espn.com)

I am without words. Burn this organization to the ground.

You are looking at this from the wrong perspective.  Players get injured.

Here is what it should read:

Imagine an organization so lacking in depth that they need to play players that aren't even 80% healthy so they need to not play 100%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Maybe a certain injury prone someone should stop making music videos in the offseason and work on conditioning his damn body. 

The guy does nothing but post videos of him working out in the off-season, look at the man he is super cut.  I don't think a one day music video shoot ruined his conditioning.  Now maybe he should start working on flexibility over building muscle but the idea that this one music video somehow made him injury prone is laughable 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all fair to criticize. Considering the org, they have had absolute control over the decisions of which players to acquire, health staff, strength and conditioning staff, player development, etc.

Considering Hahn actually did inherit one of the best operations in baseball in keeping players healthy / the synergy between scouting, coaching, health in Schneider/Cooper and how it is decidedly not one of the best operations in baseball (though hahn will be quick to point out it isn't the worst) I'd say another feather in the cap for Hahn's determination to make a decidedly below average baseball ops organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“It’s underway, I think it got stymied a little bit this offseason,” Hahn said of the long-term improvement and evolution he hopes to see in the team’s strength and conditioning efforts. “It doesn’t mean we aren’t each day trying to answer that question in terms of what perhaps are we doing, if not appropriate, what can we do to help stem this tide on the fly. It’s going to be difficult in-season to perhaps change the results over the next few weeks and months in terms of health. It’s more something that you need to build over an extended period of time in a normal offseason, I think, in terms of building the proper foundation, so a guy is able to get through a seven-month season, ideally unscathed, there’s still going to be fluky things that happen.”

https://theathletic.com/3375167/2022/06/21/white-sox-injuries/?redirected=1

 

Can't think of a better time than two years into your contention window to start working on building the proper foundation.

  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never been a fan who appreciates when players run hard as they can to first base on routine groundouts or fly balls and I think it’s absolutely insane to run into a wall and risk injury in meaningless regular season games. I care less about players “playing the game right” than I do about players being healthy when it counts the most (playoffs). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand how baseball players can be so injury prone in their legs by running. Soccer and basketball players do 0-100 constantly yet they dont have hamstring or "lower half" problems like the Sox do. I just dont get it. Can someone explain this to me?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I dont understand how baseball players can be so injury prone in their legs by running. Soccer and basketball players do 0-100 constantly yet they dont have hamstring or "lower half" problems like the Sox do. I just dont get it. Can someone explain this to me?

Running in dirt and hitting obstacles like bases do add some additional issues, but yeah - for a whole team to have such a problem with this that they have a standing order not to run hard covering multiple people is something else. One or two guys getting that instruction because they're in their 30s and dealing with long-term issues is one thing. Everyone getting it? That's something unusual.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I dont understand how baseball players can be so injury prone in their legs by running. Soccer and basketball players do 0-100 constantly yet they dont have hamstring or "lower half" problems like the Sox do. I just dont get it. Can someone explain this to me?

My guess is that in baseball you have a lot more downtime, so your muscles have a chance to cool down far more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

While the training staff deserves some blame…let’s not take accountability away from adults getting millions to be athletes. Unless there was some sort of mandatory program forced on the players, I don’t want to hear blame for an athlete not being in the proper shape. Trainers can’t force the players to train, stretch, eat properly, sleep, ect…be accountable for your own body, it’s literally an athletes livelihood 

This is so true. I also addressed this in an earlier thread this season on how the players need to take more ownership. Case in point: I went to the game yesterday. I was there a little early and was watching some of the pre-game stretching routines. I was extremely impressed with the individual stretching routine that was done on Jose Abreu. One of the trainers was working directly one on one with Jose. This involved specific and precise use of stretches, as the trainer himself extensively stretched Jose in a series of complex stretches. These stretches involved the trainer controlling each stretch movement and not Jose doing his own stretching. Maybe I wasn't there early enough to see if this was done by the other players, but I didn't see any other player being stretched out to this extreme manner. The trainer put Jose through a rigorous routine and worked all parts of both legs and hips to make sure the hamstrings, quads, calves, groin, hip, etc. were all properly stretched. Oh yeah that's right, I can't remember the last time I saw Jose pull a groin or hamstring. Btw, Jose is one the few players who is always stretching before each at bat. Maybe the players should be paying attention to "Best Practices"! Even better yet, maybe TLR and staff should implement "Best Practices"!

You are 100 percent right the players making millions should take the ownership. However even if this will never happen, maybe if the player's entire income wasn't guaranteed and they played for some incentive performance based results, they would probably take it more seriously. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The guy does nothing but post videos of him working out in the off-season, look at the man he is super cut.  I don't think a one day music video shoot ruined his conditioning.  Now maybe he should start working on flexibility over building muscle but the idea that this one music video somehow made him injury prone is laughable 

If I learned anything from the Jake Burger saga, it's that if a player does anything in the offseason that isn't baseball/working out (even if they are also doing baseball activities/rehab/workouts), they will be chastised for it every time they get injured until the end of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

An organization so completely devoid of confidence in their ability to keep players healthy...that they are actually telling their players not to hustle to first base... How can a training staff be this inept? How can a training staff be completely incapable of conditioning their players to be able to sprint 90 feet without fucking hurting themselves? What the fuck are we doing here?

Short-handed Chicago White Sox, understanding that 'their legs are important,' tell some players to slow it down running to first base (espn.com)

I am without words. Burn this organization to the ground.

I must admit that when I heard and read about this I started mowing my lawn at 80% speed. It's a long summer and I also need to stay healthy. Great advice! Thank you, Chicago White Sox!

 

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ptatc said:

You are looking at this from the wrong perspective.  Players get injured.

Here is what it should read:

Imagine an organization so lacking in depth that they need to play players that aren't even 80% healthy so they need to not play 100%.

Players getting injured running to first base is not normal. Sorry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very tough quote to read when we get beat by less-talented teams who regularly outplay, out-hustle, and out manage us.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Running in dirt and hitting obstacles like bases do add some additional issues, but yeah - for a whole team to have such a problem with this that they have a standing order not to run hard covering multiple people is something else. One or two guys getting that instruction because they're in their 30s and dealing with long-term issues is one thing. Everyone getting it? That's something unusual.

I don't think I've ever heard of a team giving a standing order to its players to not play hard in fear of getting injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a team giving a standing order to its players to not play hard in fear of getting injured. 

It's one of the most absurd fucking things I've ever seen in professional sports.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a team giving a standing order to its players to not play hard in fear of getting injured. 

It happens all the time. Bit as someone else said it's usually in specific circumstances  such as older player, injured etc. It just so happens that they have so many injured players that it's become nearly a team wide order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×