Your Mid Season Top 10

Chicago White Sox

With promotions starting to occur and the major league team disappointing like crazy, I thought putting together top 10 prospect lists would be a fun distraction.

Here is my top 10 list:

1. Colson Montgomery, SS*
  2. Oscar Colas, OF*
  3. Lenyn Sosa, 2B
  4. Bryan Ramos, 3B
  5. Norge Vera, RHP
  6. Wes Kath, 3B*
  7. Sean Burke, RHP
  8. Jose Rodriguez, SS/2B
  9. Christian Mena, RHP
  10. Matthew Thompson, RHP

One note but I really struggled with that #10 spot.  To me, the top 9 is firmly established, but you could make an argument for a half a dozen guys at #10.  Cespedes & Romy were top 10 guys coming into the year, but aren’t deserving based on their seasons so far.  Then you got Yogurt who put up great contact heavy numbers in AA, but has slowed down since moving to AAA.  Additionally, an older kid like Simas may be more worthy than Thompson, but I haven’t had the chance to see him pitch this year.  Ultimately, Matthew’s secondary numbers aren’t great, but he’s improved vs. 2021 and is a more exciting prospect than the other guys in this range that I’m more familiar with.

Great thread idea. 

I don't know that I know enough to really rank them, but I am very excited that Colson Montgomery has gotten off to the first half that he has had.  It really gives the system merit when he is  out there just absolutely destroying folks in A ball.

Wes Kath has recovered nicely after a .500 OPS to start with in April, to push himself up to .730 on the season.

Norge Vera is by far the guy I am most excited about, as he might be the one guy in the system with star starting pitcher stuff.

Oscar Colas is out there destroying baseballs in A+ without any red flags in his numbers.  You'd like him to walk more, but outside of that, he is looking really good.

Christian Mena  is also off to a great start in the lower levels, really nice K numbers, walks under control, solid H/9, and improving as the season goes along.

Loidel Chappelli has been absolutely destroying DSL, and seems to be a guy who is ready for US ball.  I get he is 20, but it is nice to see him doing what he should to inferior competition, as we haven't always saw that.

I know Kohl Simas is down with injury, but what a start to the season he had.  12.3 K/9 and a 1.024 WHIP.

Tommy Sommer is also putting up huge K numbers at A ball with 82 K's in 65IP.  Not many hits against either, but giving up a few walks as an older guy.

Darrio Borrero is off to a nice start in the ACL as is Victor Quezada in the search for the next Latin American shooting star.

Bryan Ramos had the huge start, huge slump, and now seems to be adjusting back again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With promotions starting to occur and the major league team disappointing like crazy, I thought putting together top 10 prospect lists would be a fun distraction.

Here is my top 10 list:

1. Colson Montgomery, SS*
  2. Oscar Colas, OF*
  3. Lenyn Sosa, 2B
  4. Bryan Ramos, 3B
  5. Norge Vera, RHP
  6. Wes Kath, 3B*
  7. Sean Burke, RHP
  8. Jose Rodriguez, SS/2B
  9. Christian Mena, RHP
  10. Matthew Thompson, RHP

One note but I really struggled with that #10 spot.  To me, the top 9 is firmly established, but you could make an argument for a half a dozen guys at #10.  Cespedes & Romy were top 10 guys coming into the year, but aren’t deserving based on their seasons so far.  Then you got Yogurt who put up great contact heavy numbers in AA, but has slowed down since moving to AAA.  Additionally, an older kid like Simas may be more worthy than Thompson, but I haven’t had the chance to see him pitch this year.  Ultimately, Matthew’s secondary numbers aren’t great, but he’s improved vs. 2021 and is a more exciting prospect than the other guys in this range that I’m more familiar with.

I really like that list. Only change I would have is Veras above or below Sosa.

I did my top 20 on the plane back from NC this weekend:

1.Montgomery 2. Colas 3. Sosa 4. Vera 5. Ramos 6. Mena 7. Burke 8. Kath 9. Jose Rodriguez 10. Thompson 11. Kelley 12. Cespedes 13. Davis Martin 14. Romy Gonzalez 15. Erick Hernandez 16. Chappelli (aggressive, right?) 17. Mieses 18. Dalquist 19. Yolbert 20. Stiever Just missed: Veras, Bailey, Gladney, Quezada

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

1. Colson Montgomery
2. Lenyn Sosa
3. Oscar Colas
4. Bryan Ramos
5. Norge Vera
6. Jose Rodriguez
7. Wes Kath
8. Cristian Mena
9. Erick Hernandez
10. Sean Burke

This list still isn't great, but the system is clearly in a much healthier place than it was a year ago at this time.

Love how aggressive you went with Hernandez. I didn't have the guts.

Sommer has a great K rate, pretty low H/9 both in college and in the minors; he just walks way too many.  But he's really interesting, especially for what was essentially  a late round pick (r 10, but a puntee).

Ramos takes his walks.; not super, but 10%.  I hope it's indicative of good patience and strike zone understanding, and not just wild pitching coming his way.

There  seem to be a lot more interesting players to follow this year than last year.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Sommer has a great K rate, pretty low H/9 both in college and in the minors; he just walks way too many.  But he's really interesting, especially for what was essentially  a late round pick (r 10, but a puntee).

Ramos takes his walks.; not super, but 10%.  I hope it's indicative of good patience and strike zone understanding, and not just wild pitching coming his way.

There  seem to be a lot more interesting players to follow this year than last year.

I saw Sooner yesterday in person in Kanny. Cubs affiliate has a lot of big righties, he baffled them with the off speed at times, but there was a far amount of hard contact. A college lefty who can change speeds in lo A should be successful. I’m reserving judgment  until he faces more experienced hitters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I saw Sooner yesterday in person in Kanny. Cubs affiliate has a lot of big righties, he baffled them with the off speed at times, but there was a far amount of hard contact. A college lefty who can change speeds in lo A should be successful. I’m reserving judgment  until he faces more experienced hitters.

Yeah exactly. Nice to have a pitcher not throwing 4+ BBs every game but we’ll see how he stand’s against more mature hitters.

Nice start though.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah exactly. Nice to have a pitcher not throwing 4+ BBs every game but we’ll see he stand’s can more mature hitters.

Nice start though.

*Would be nice 

edit: nvm just ignore too much editing to make it coherent

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I didn't know where else to put this, Montgomery is now 99 in BA's Top 100.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-top-100-prospects/

Notes:

Tools: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Speed: 50 | Fielding: 55 | Arm: 55
Skinny: Montgomery’s ascent onto the Top 100 continues the trend of the 2021 draft being the year of the high school shortstop. He becomes the seventh prep shortstop from the 2021 draft to join the Top 100. The tall and lanky lefthanded hitter has shown a propensity to hit line drives and work counts. He will likely eventually get to more power as he learns to lift the ball more consistently, but as scouts have long liked to note, it’s easier for a pure hitter to gain power than it is for a slugger to develop an ability to hit for a high average.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 6

On 6/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, Sox80 said:

I'm interested to see what the updated team rankings will be? 

Milwaukee and Washington have worse systems imo. So they’re not the worst anymore. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 3:18 AM, Polar Bear said:

Crap.  I don't know how I missed this thread.  I've started working my mid season update.  Will post when I finish it, im actually looking to expand my top 20 to maybe a top 30.  

Gonna maybe make it a top 40 now and include some of the draft picks as well 

• Like 1