These are not the Chicago White Sox

Texsox

I've been an ignorant fool for a long time. 

These are JR's White Sox. He gets to add Chicago to the game because he has a lease with a stadium he doesn't own in Chicago. They could just as easily be the Nashville White Sox, San Antonio White Sox, or any other city JR wishes to move HIS team. 

I'm a baseball fan. I've played in over 200 games, attended another 500 or so ( t ball to MLB) and watched too many to count on TV or listened on the radio. I follow two teams in particular. My high school and JR's White Sox. But I've stopped being a fanatic. 

Being a White Sox fan is like being a fan of a local McDonalds. They are just one of a franchise with a local owner. There are plenty of others that are basically the same. If the customer service at a particular McDs declines because they hired their idiot buddy to manage the store, you don't stop eating at McDs, you just move to a different owner's franchise. If half the staff is out sick and the experience at that store is horrible, you stop at a different one.

So JR, I'm sorry but I don't like your franchise much these days. I think you are destroying your location and starting to remind me of Ozzie when he wanted to move to Florida. Perhaps you want to be so disliked by fans the entire city with throw you out and you can move YOUR team to a nice place. Go. 

I'm past defending, I'm past blaming injuries, I'm way past defending Tony, and I'm well past blaming Tony.  I'm finally looking at this as a consumer. Much like you seem to look at this like a personal hobby business for your friends and cronies. 

I came to Chicago for a visit and for the first time in 50 years avoided attending any games. Instead I played a little golf, visited some friends that I wouldn't have had time for, and enjoyed my stay just fine. Thank you for giving me that gift of time you miserable son of a b****. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

I was at the game yesterday. The Sox had a Cy Young type guy on the mound vs. a journeyman at best. I was so happy they won. And it was a squeaker to a very mediocre team. It's pretty pathetic. I had figured they would get it going eventually. I don't believe that anymore. They are just a mediocre team. It seems all the life has been sucked out of them.

Edited by Dick Allen

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was at the game yesterday. The Sox had a Cy Young type guy on the mound vs. a journeyman at best. I was so happy they one. And it was a squeaker to a very mediocre team. It's pretty pathetic. I had figured they would get it going eventually. I don't believe that anymore. They are just a mediocre team. It seems all the life has been sucked out of them.

It's tough when the team is missing most of its lineup.  Yesterday the team started only 5 of its projected starters for the year.

I'll reserve final judgement when they have at least 7 or 8 of their projected starters available for an extended period of time.

• Thanks 2

TexSox- One thing I will say is that, from the very beginning, JR never understood the White Sox fan. One of the first things that was done after the team was purchased in 1981 was tearing out the center field shower. That shower was a symbol of a loved team and one of the few bright spots during a very bad decade. But out it came.

He also had a thing about Bill Veeck. Veeck was not loved by everyone, but many fans felt that Veeck at least understood what fans wanted out of their team and what they wanted when they came to the ball park. He still can't understand how Veeck appealed to fans.

Somethings were changing when the JR group bought the team, and he had nothing to do with somethings. Free TV was going to go, the stadium had to be replaced, and the corporate fan became even more important. JR didn't understand human nature in that people are hostile to change at first. Then the wagons circled.

If the franchise is ever going to build its fan base, these rebuild has to work. I don't know if JR cares or understands that.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's tough when the team is missing most of its lineup.  Yesterday the team started only 5 of its projected starters for the year.

I'll reserve final judgement when they have at least 7 or 8 of their projected starters available for an extended period of time.

You might be waiting into the offseason. I'll be surprised if they have 7 or 8 of their projected starters available for even a short amount of time this year. I do admire your patience, though.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ptatc said:

And what if they bet on the wrong horses, and guys like Moncada, Robert, Eloy are just wound a little too tight, and will never stay on the field for extended periods of time? 

This is a results business. Most observers saw the Sox having a window between 2020-2023 based on how contracts are structured and the core ages of this group. We were told, by the front office, that a World Series was the expectation this season. Oh, and this was a franchise that got rid of their training staff last year and spent time in the offseason looking for a new staff....and we've seen how that's worked out thus far. 

On June 27th, they have the same amount of wins as the Orioles. Since the ASB last year, they are well under .500. Reserve judgment? For what? 

• Like 5

This team is bad, and have been bad, all year. Injuries have played a part in this, but not the whole part.

Run differential is telling the story here.

The White Sox are at -51! The Mariners are at -1. Those are the only two teams in baseball that are supposed to be contenders that are negative. Every other team in baseball is either positive or rebuilding.

This team is underachieving big time. They just aren't as good as we thought.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Grandal and Moncada were both worthless when they were not injured this year, I don't know how much that's moving the needle.

Eloy is scaring the shit out of me. Hes got a .211 / .250 / .211 slash line on his rehab assignment with 2 walks and 11 K's and since the start of the 2021 season he has pretty much been a detriment to this team.

This team has glaring problems anywhere you look.

• Fire 1

I was at the game yesterday and although the official attendance was 29,000, there were too many empty seats for such a beautiful Sunday game. If this team was winning and in first place and one the better teams in baseball...as they were projected to be, then Sox park yesterday would have been more packed and much louder. 

I've been a die hard and life long fan and this is the most upset and disappointed I've been in my life. I've always hated and disrespected Jerry for a long time and now I despise him even more. He has ruined this team and this rebuild! You are right on one fact, the energy has been completely taken away from the players. The basic fundamentals are just not there or being developed. It's not just his insane decision Jerry made in hiring TLR, but all his coaches are horrible too. Again the ultimate blame goes on the owner. I am pretty sure that most of the other 29 owners by now would have fired this pathetic demented manager, along with his coaching staff.

I have always been a huge Rick Hahn advocate, but now I am joining the ones in here who think Hahn needs to be fired as well. Hahn has not only derailed this rebuild, but he has one of the worst farm systems in baseball. At some point if your team is underachieving, has way too many ongoing injuries and a horrible minor league farm system, then Hahn has to take that full blame as well.

As I have stated in previous posts, until his obituary, this POS Reinsdorf will always make sure his Sox team is an underachieving and dysfunctional organization. That fact is so sad and totally not deserving for such a diehard and loyal Sox fanbase. If Jerry had any pride, or intelligence, which he has neither, he would let one of his other sons run the team, like he did when he let his son Michael run the Bulls. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

You might be waiting into the offseason. I'll be surprised if they have 7 or 8 of their projected starters available for even a short amount of time this year. I do admire your patience, though.

It's possible. I'm not sure if it's patience or resignation.  

I'd love to look at the off season strength and conditioning program for the players.

34 minutes ago, T R U said:

Grandal and Moncada were both worthless when they were not injured this year, I don't know how much that's moving the needle.

Eloy is scaring the shit out of me. Hes got a .211 / .250 / .211 slash line on his rehab assignment with 2 walks and 11 K's and since the start of the 2021 season he has pretty much been a detriment to this team.

This team has glaring problems anywhere you look.

Grandal admitted that the issues in the Spring robbed him of the base he usually has going into the season. My guess is that he is missing so much time now because they realized he needed to rebuild it.

Who knows with Moncada.

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's possible. I'm not sure if it's patience or resignation.  

I'd love to look at the off season strength and conditioning program for the players.

The weird thing is, with Allen Thomas, who was obviously the fall guy for all the leg injuries last year, they didn't used to have many leg injuries at all. Something must of changed, and whatever was done to try to correct it this year made it worse. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The weird thing is, with Allen Thomas, who was obviously the fall guy for all the leg injuries last year, they didn't used to have many leg injuries at all. Something must of changed, and whatever was done to try to correct it this year made it worse. 

I really wish we could separate the destruction of spring training this year, and the players themselves.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really wish we could separate the destruction of spring training this year, and the players themselves.

Exactly. I'm assuming some guys worked hard even with the lockout and were as ready to go as they would have been regardless. I imagine some did nothing, neglected any workouts, and deserve our scorn. The majority are somewhere in between. 

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Exactly. I'm assuming some guys worked hard even with the lockout and were as ready to go as they would have been regardless. I imagine some did nothing, neglected any workouts, and deserve our scorn. The majority are somewhere in between. 

They all do something. Nobody neglects the workouts. I just wondering what they did.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It appears so. Although last year, Engel, Robert, Grandal and Lynn had significant leg injuries. 

Here are the ages of men sitting on the White Sox Board of Directors:

Robert Judelson 83

Judd Malkin 85

Allan Muchin 86

Jay Pinsky 73

Lee Stern 95

Burton Ury 95

Front office man Howard Pizer 82

Don't get me wrong. All of these men have had successful careers. But these ages speak for themselves. It is really hard to expect much from this organization with a situation like this. Change and growth just does not happen. And we cannot expect change in the near future.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Highland said:

Here are the ages of men sitting on the White Sox Board of Directors:

Robert Judelson 83

Judd Malkin 85

Allan Muchin 86

Jay Pinsky 73

Lee Stern 95

Burton Ury 95

Front office man Howard Pizer 82

Don't get me wrong. All of these men have had successful careers. But these ages speak for themselves. It is really hard to expect much from this organization with a situation like this. Change and growth just does not happen. And we cannot expect change in the near future.

When original board members die, they do not get replaced. It just gets smaller and smaller.

I've been a Sox fan since the mid 1950's, all the way back to the days of Chico Carrasquel. All of this pessimism, and the dysfunctionality which is driving it, is causing me to wonder if I should continue to root for this franchise. I don't live in Chicago, not even close by, however I'm not sure how I would actually go about rooting for a new team. Anyone care to suggest a particular franchise and what one might find so appealing about it? I wouldn't simply want to root for a winning team, certainly not the "Damn Yankees". I like the way Tampa has run their franchise, so perhaps they could win my allegiance, in time. I'd love to hear suggestions.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I've been a Sox fan since the mid 1950's, all the way back to the days of Chico Carrasquel. All of this pessimism, and the dysfunctionality which is driving it, is causing me to wonder if I should continue to root for this franchise. I don't live in Chicago, not even close by, however I'm not sure how I would actually go about rooting for a new team. Anyone care to suggest a particular franchise and what one might find so appealing about it? I wouldn't simply want to root fro a winning team, certainly not the "Damn Yankees". I like the way Tampa has run their franchise, so perhaps they could win my allegiance, in time. I'd love to hear suggestions.

You could always become a Cubs fan