These are not the Chicago White Sox

Texsox

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

I came to Chicago for a visit and for the first time in 50 years avoided attending any games. Instead I played a little golf, visited some friends that I wouldn't have had time for, and enjoyed my stay just fine. Thank you for giving me that gift of time you miserable son of a b****. 

Good post overall but this graph should (but won't) concern the Sox. A former diehard fan did just fine skipping the Sox game on his trip. Think of all the potential $$ lost by the Sox if you time that by thousands of fans who have stopped going to games or drastically reduced the number because of cost vs. enjoyment.

Tell you the truth the only reason I would ever consider attending a Sox game is I haven't gone to a home game in so long it'd be nice to check out (only on a beautiful sunny night with perfect weather BTW) the environment for all my senses. With my luck I'd get a beer spilled on me by a fan.

Great post. No need to go to a Sox game. And Sox aren't concerned about thousands of fans like you I'm sure because all they care about is TV $$. Nice post.

Edited by greg775

On 6/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, ron883 said:

Want to go to a Cubs game with me?

On 10/23/2016 at 7:51 AM, ron883 said:

GO CUBS GO GO CUBS GO HEY CHICAGO WHATAYA SAY THE CUBS ARE GONNA WIN TODAY

I'm still completely wasted from last night. Chicago was a complete s***show. So fun though

On 9/3/2013 at 9:38 PM, ron883 said:

this is one of the first times i will feel comfortable saying...

GO CUBS GO, GO CUBS GO, HEY CHICAGO WHATAYA SAY, THE CUBS ARE GONNA WIN TODAY

On 10/12/2017 at 10:42 PM, ron883 said:

I want the cubs to win so I can party at sluggers and the cubby bear Saturday

On 3/24/2022 at 12:31 AM, ron883 said:

1. All White Sox and Bulls games will be illegally streamed. Not paying for any cable or subscriptions in order to watch the games

2. Attending Cubs games instead of Sox games. Instead of simply not giving Jerry my money, I'm going to spend it on the other baseball team in the city. 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:35 PM, ron883 said:

I nearly because a Cubs fan due to their failures in free agency, and nearly did it against when they signed TLR as manager. I didn't see ANYBODY else considering this when TLR was hired. And you all claim to truly hate TLR and despise the hiring decision, yet nobody else considered changing sides? You all disgust me. 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, ron883 said:

I'm officially making the transition to being a Cubs fan. This is ridiculous and fucking embarrassing. I'd rather root for a team with a little self respect and decency. I encourage others to join me.

30 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You could always become a Cubs fan

Ron has  rich history as Soxtalk's token Cubs fan.

5 hours ago, Highland said:

TexSox- One thing I will say is that, from the very beginning, JR never understood the White Sox fan. One of the first things that was done after the team was purchased in 1981 was tearing out the center field shower. That shower was a symbol of a loved team and one of the few bright spots during a very bad decade. But out it came.

He also had a thing about Bill Veeck. Veeck was not loved by everyone, but many fans felt that Veeck at least understood what fans wanted out of their team and what they wanted when they came to the ball park. He still can't understand how Veeck appealed to fans.

Somethings were changing when the JR group bought the team, and he had nothing to do with somethings. Free TV was going to go, the stadium had to be replaced, and the corporate fan became even more important. JR didn't understand human nature in that people are hostile to change at first. Then the wagons circled.

If the franchise is ever going to build its fan base, these rebuild has to work. I don't know if JR cares or understands that.

lol, shocker a billionaire sociopath doesn't understand working class people

10 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sociopath? That's a little strong. He is too loyal to his employees according to most on this board.

The Sox are playing not to lose rather than going all out to win because they are too afraid of getting hurt. It’s a legit concern for guys like TA, Jose, Robert, Vaughn. 

But the Baltimore series showed what hustle, athleticism, and playing solid, fundamental baseball can do.

The Sox have superior talent. But the Sox are playing far too tentative and are a station to station team. More versatile Talent like Sosa is needed for the system rather than one dimensional guys like Sheets, Burger and need to move on from the key yearly injury concerns of guys like Eloy, Moncada, Grandal. 

We can’t sell low on Eloy and Moncada. But they can’t stay healthy and are dragging the Sox down. 

43 minutes ago, beck72 said:

The Sox are playing not to lose rather than going all out to win because they are too afraid of getting hurt. It’s a legit concern for guys like TA, Jose, Robert, Vaughn. 

But the Baltimore series showed what hustle, athleticism, and playing solid, fundamental baseball can do.

The Sox have superior talent. But the Sox are playing far too tentative and are a station to station team. More versatile Talent like Sosa is needed for the system rather than one dimensional guys like Sheets, Burger and need to move on from the key yearly injury concerns of guys like Eloy, Moncada, Grandal. 

We can’t sell low on Eloy and Moncada. But they can’t stay healthy and are dragging the Sox down. 

Wrong quote!

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ron has  rich history as Soxtalk's token Cubs fan.

Thanks for bringing me down memory lane to the early and mid 20s days where responsibility was minimal and the times were good. 

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I've been a Sox fan since the mid 1950's, all the way back to the days of Chico Carrasquel. All of this pessimism, and the dysfunctionality which is driving it, is causing me to wonder if I should continue to root for this franchise. I don't live in Chicago, not even close by, however I'm not sure how I would actually go about rooting for a new team. Anyone care to suggest a particular franchise and what one might find so appealing about it? I wouldn't simply want to root for a winning team, certainly not the "Damn Yankees". I like the way Tampa has run their franchise, so perhaps they could win my allegiance, in time. I'd love to hear suggestions.

I think you're stuck Lillian. I feel the same way though. 45 years ago I could always figure out some reason to watch even when we stunk.

Now I just check the score before bed and shrug my shoulders.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zisk said:

I think you're stuck Lillian. I feel the same way though. 45 years ago I could always figure out some reason to watch even when we stunk.

Now I just check the score before bed and shrug my shoulders.

I hear you. I've done the same thing, a lot lately. I look at the box score and usually watch the highlights. I did watch the Baltimore series, primarily to see Sosa.

6 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I was at the game yesterday and although the official attendance was 29,000, there were too many empty seats for such a beautiful Sunday game. If this team was winning and in first place and one the better teams in baseball...as they were projected to be, then Sox park yesterday would have been more packed and much louder. 

I've been a die hard and life long fan and this is the most upset and disappointed I've been in my life. I've always hated and disrespected Jerry for a long time and now I despise him even more. He has ruined this team and this rebuild! You are right on one fact, the energy has been completely taken away from the players. The basic fundamentals are just not there or being developed. It's not just his insane decision Jerry made in hiring TLR, but all his coaches are horrible too. Again the ultimate blame goes on the owner. I am pretty sure that most of the other 29 owners by now would have fired this pathetic demented manager, along with his coaching staff.

I have always been a huge Rick Hahn advocate, but now I am joining the ones in here who think Hahn needs to be fired as well. Hahn has not only derailed this rebuild, but he has one of the worst farm systems in baseball. At some point if your team is underachieving, has way too many ongoing injuries and a horrible minor league farm system, then Hahn has to take that full blame as well.

As I have stated in previous posts, until his obituary, this POS Reinsdorf will always make sure his Sox team is an underachieving and dysfunctional organization. That fact is so sad and totally not deserving for such a diehard and loyal Sox fanbase. If Jerry had any pride, or intelligence, which he has neither, he would let one of his other sons run the team, like he did when he let his son Michael run the Bulls. 

Certainly the most disappointing Sox team since 1984...

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

True, it is not shocking that JR doesn't understand working class people. I don't regard him as a sociopath. He lives in a different world, and, even after all these years, he still doesn't get certain things. The Yes people around him only make things worse. My point is that he alienates some of the most loyal Sox fans. And people like Hawk, Ed Farmer, and Steve Stone have been his enablers. His supporters say he loves baseball. Might be true. But from day one, he never had any idea what motivated Sox fans, and that has nothing to to do with money or class. He just doesn't get it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

I've been a Sox fan since the mid 1950's, all the way back to the days of Chico Carrasquel. All of this pessimism, and the dysfunctionality which is driving it, is causing me to wonder if I should continue to root for this franchise. I don't live in Chicago, not even close by, however I'm not sure how I would actually go about rooting for a new team. Anyone care to suggest a particular franchise and what one might find so appealing about it? I wouldn't simply want to root for a winning team, certainly not the "Damn Yankees". I like the way Tampa has run their franchise, so perhaps they could win my allegiance, in time. I'd love to hear suggestions.

I went to my first Sox game in 1960. Things are tough for long-time fans now. The Rebuild is a last chance to get this franchise truly on its feet, and it isn't working. Switching to another team will never work, but watching this stuff is hard.

8 hours ago, Highland said:

TexSox- One thing I will say is that, from the very beginning, JR never understood the White Sox fan. One of the first things that was done after the team was purchased in 1981 was tearing out the center field shower. That shower was a symbol of a loved team and one of the few bright spots during a very bad decade. But out it came.

He also had a thing about Bill Veeck. Veeck was not loved by everyone, but many fans felt that Veeck at least understood what fans wanted out of their team and what they wanted when they came to the ball park. He still can't understand how Veeck appealed to fans.

Somethings were changing when the JR group bought the team, and he had nothing to do with somethings. Free TV was going to go, the stadium had to be replaced, and the corporate fan became even more important. JR didn't understand human nature in that people are hostile to change at first. Then the wagons circled.

If the franchise is ever going to build its fan base, these rebuild has to work. I don't know if JR cares or understands that.

JR I suspect has never taken a marketing course.  The”customer is always right” mantra is foreign to him.  Being buddy to TLR and looking the other way to TLR incompetence, and not listening to the fans is not smart.  The fans are the ones putting $ in his pocket, not TLR.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Highland said:

Here are the ages of men sitting on the White Sox Board of Directors:

Robert Judelson 83

Judd Malkin 85

Allan Muchin 86

Jay Pinsky 73

Lee Stern 95

Burton Ury 95

Front office man Howard Pizer 82

Don't get me wrong. All of these men have had successful careers. But these ages speak for themselves. It is really hard to expect much from this organization with a situation like this. Change and growth just does not happen. And we cannot expect change in the near future.

Looks like the Board of Directors of Jurassic Park.  It is certainly not a 21 st Century Board.  More like a club of JR drinking buddies.

Edited by hankchifan

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://theathletic.com/3383695/2022/06/26/cubs-losing-streak-money-defensive/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Cubs say there’s a vision, and money, but past year has put organization on defensive

The Cubs are a worse team than the Sox.  Wrigley Field has been converted to a beer garden while the product on the field has become secondary.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

And what if they bet on the wrong horses, and guys like Moncada, Robert, Eloy are just wound a little too tight, and will never stay on the field for extended periods of time? 

This is a results business. Most observers saw the Sox having a window between 2020-2023 based on how contracts are structured and the core ages of this group. We were told, by the front office, that a World Series was the expectation this season. Oh, and this was a franchise that got rid of their training staff last year and spent time in the offseason looking for a new staff....and we've seen how that's worked out thus far. 

On June 27th, they have the same amount of wins as the Orioles. Since the ASB last year, they are well under .500. Reserve judgment? For what? 

This is perfectly said

We keep hearing about "wait until they all get on the field" but based on history of guys, specifically Jimenez, Robert and Moncada, that just might never happen consistently

• Like 2

A couple thoughts.

1) Rick Renteria's worst rebuilding Sox team would be super competitive and perhaps even take a series from these guys, no matter the pitching matchups.

2) if you're considering just rooting for another team, consider another form of entertainment instead. Having shitty sports teams is actually pretty freeing and I dont feel the need to find a 2nd NHL, NFL or any other kind of team. I just enjoy my extra free time in other ways.

3) More people should be alarmed at Jose Abreus quotes earlier this year considering retirement. The culture has to have done a complete 180 for him to not want to be back. And I doubt he wants to play for any other team, so retirement it is I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

The Cubs are a worse team than the Sox.  Wrigley Field has been converted to a beer garden while the product on the field has become secondary.

In reality, the product on the field has always been secondary. The Tribune Company used its massive media presence to market and sell this team on a constant basis. Up until about 2015 this team didn't do anything, and they have returned to that form. Some, not many, but some Cub fans have caught on to the scam.

• Like 1