Offensive Stats Update

reiks12

I am currently looking over our offense and where we rank under Menechino's glorious guidance:

1) Worst team in the league against fastballs (wFA)

2) 27/30 against the slider (wSL)

This is a recipe for disaster

3) 1/30 in opposite field hits

4) 4/30 in O-Swing % (balls swung at out of the zone)

5) 5/30 in GB%

This tells me the offense is constantly looking to poke the ball the other way and "not trying to do too much", a Menechino mantra

6) 29/30 in LD% (Line drives)

7) 10/30 in EV (number has decreased over the year)

8.) 25/30 in LA

9) 22/30 in pitches seen

10) 26/30 in HR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Well they are definitely succeeding in not doing too much, so good job everyone.

Can't imagine what could go wrong with an offense that consists of hitting singles the opposite way, followed by station to station baserunning because all of your players are either already slow or have been instructed to run slow so that their legs won't explode.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I am currently looking over our offense and where we rank under Menechino's glorious guidance:

1) Worst team in the league against fastballs (wFA)

2) 27/30 against the slider (wSL)

This is a recipe for disaster

3) 1/30 in opposite field hits

4) 4/30 in O-Swing % (balls swung at out of the zone)

5) 5/30 in GB%

This tells me the offense is constantly looking to poke the ball the other way and "not trying to do too much", a Menechino mantra

6) 29/30 in LD% (Line drives)

7) 10/30 in EV (number has decreased over the year)

8.) 25/30 in LA

9) 22/30 in pitches seen

10) 26/30 in HR

To be clear - when you say "4/30 in O-Swing %" and "5/30 in GB%," does that mean that they have the 4th and 5th highest in the league?
Or 4th / 5th best?

37 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To be clear - when you say "4/30 in O-Swing %" and "5/30 in GB%," does that mean that they have the 4th and 5th highest in the league?
Or 4th / 5th best?

I'm assuming highest. Which in those 2 stats means bad. 

Focusing so much on going to the opposite field is clearly an organizational philosophy. In Fegan's article on Sosa, it was made clear they kept empathizing a middle-away approach with him. This is something that would have been more beneficial before MLB dejuiced the ball and added humidors in every park. I do wonder if the Sox would consider going away from this, but considering how they appear to be developing hitters in the minor leagues, I think the answer is no.

MLB league-wide results on pulled batted balls: .326 avg .945 OPS 163 wRC+
MLB league-wide results on opposite field batted balls: .313 avg .768 OPS 114 wRC+

• Like 1

Don’t try to do too much, groundball through the hole to RF is what we want. Also if you do put one in the gap, don’t run too hard we don’t want your legs to get hurt. 

Sounds about right. 

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm not sure how much you can blame menechino. Sure it was bad but there also was a big amount of injuries. 

Would they have struggled as much if grandal, eloy, moncada, tim and Robert would have been healthy all year? 

Ironically, quite possibly yes. Moncada has produced less offense than Burger. Eloy has produced less than Vaughn and Pollock. Grandal has produced less than everyone not named Leury. Robert has been ok but certainly not a monster.

You know when guys get hurt on this team, trying to beat out groundballs or creating extra base hits on ground balls.

This whole organization is incredibly broken. 

Let's take big slow guys or injury prone guys and make them singles hitters trying to take extra bases. 

The stupidity is rather amazing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm not sure how much you can blame menechino. Sure it was bad but there also was a big amount of injuries. 

Would they have struggled as much if grandal, eloy, moncada, tim and Robert would have been healthy all year? 

The players deserve blame too of course, however when your young core is declining offensively and in the same way, you have to look at the organization as a whole. Menechino has been a hitting coach for 10 years with us and the Marlins. In that time he has been top 5 in GB% every single season and bottom 5 in LA. Whatever tweaks he does to these guys leads them to hit more grounders. Just look at their numbers from 2019 to now, save for Anderson the decline of these guys is just sad to watch. 

We were all excited about Moncada and Eloy in 2019, they started to break out. Now they hit weak grounders on the infield. Thats their game, healthy or not. I have to ask, what the F happened? We aren't at a liberty to wait around like in 2019. This is our window. They need to get healthy and produce to what they are capable of now or this contention window is already closed. 

We are starting to see signs of Robert regressing in his power due to approach (He has lowered his K rate substantially, however has increased his GB% by 10%, and hitting the ball the other way by another 5%). His average LA has decreased by 5 degrees. He is swinging at balls out of the strike zone 4% more than last year which doesnt seem like much, however since hes sacrificing power for contact hes connecting on those swings 9% more than last year! This is the same pattern we see with a large number of our hitters.

Robert is having a pretty good season still, but its a waste of his potential. He should be an extra base hit machine with how hard he hits the ball. Instead hes settling for singles the other way. Thats the approach under Menechino.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:03 AM, Snopek said:

I love this graphic. Look at our stupid little paper airplane. I also find the Phillies one to be very satisfying.

Big fan of Boston's jellyfish graph.

Detroit's sitting pretty at 7:15. AM or PM?

Houston's graph was drawn by someone shutting their eyes and trying to draw what they thought was the outline of Abe Lincoln on the penny.

Baltimore's looks like a stingray, and Tampa's looks like a bird in flight (if you squint really hard)

On 6/28/2022 at 7:03 AM, Snopek said:

I love this graphic. Look at our stupid little paper airplane. I also find the Phillies one to be very satisfying.

Is this a Rorschach Test ? Twins looks like a spade, Brewers an hourglass, Yankees, the Superbowl Trophy, Bluejays, a Mushroom, Diamondbacks looks like Italy, Tampa Bay Rays actually looks like a Ray. Tigers if you count the circle too looks like it's 7:15 on a clock.  The A's look like a clock at 2:35 with a second hand at 25 seconds.The Sox looks like the head of a pick axe.

The White Sox have always emphasized being aggressive. And aggressive in their mind means hacking away at borderline pitches. That’s why they constantly rank among the league’s worst in O-swing%e despite bringing in countless new players from different organizations.

They also always preach going the other way which is a fool‘s errand in the modern game.

The players witht the best offensive numbers are patient hitters who pull the ball when it‘s in a hittable location.

These two approaches combined are the reason the Sox do not hit home runs at an acceptable rate and will struggle to consistently score runs

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Really enjoying your posts on this @reiks12

The reason why I do blame menechino is I wouldn't say any of these guys had this profile coming up. Instead they had lots of power, or moderate power, too many Ks. For a lot, but not all. Now they are all high contact, high groundball, power diminished. Teamwide. 

Also didn't someone pull up the Marlins GB% under Menechino? I am sorry I stole it from you but it stuck in my mind indelibly. The Marlins were 1st in GB% every single year he was their hitting coach. 5 years! 

They were 27th in hard hit percentage in 2017 the year Stanton had like 58 home runs.

This looks exactly like a Menechino team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Really enjoying your posts on this @reiks12

The reason why I do blame menechino is I wouldn't say any of these guys had this profile coming up. Instead they had lots of power, or moderate power, too many Ks. For a lot, but not all. Now they are all high contact, high groundball, power diminished. Teamwide. 

Also didn't someone pull up the Marlins GB% under Menechino? I am sorry I stole it from you but it stuck in my mind indelibly. The Marlins were 1st in GB% every single year he was their hitting coach. 5 years! 

They were 27th in hard hit percentage in 2017 the year Stanton had like 58 home runs.

This looks exactly like a Menechino team.

I'm inclined to believe the hitching coach really isn't that important, but the stats for his teams are damning and it's not a small sample either.