If the team has to sell, who would you be willing to part with…

Boopa1219

I don’t think this is a playoff team, with a horrible manager not optimizing the talent on the roster, the constant injuries and the lack of adequate organizational depth. There’s just so much to overcome in my opinion.

If the Sox find themselves out of the playoff picture come the ASB, I think they should look to trade some of the vets on the roster. Most notably Abreu, Lynn, and Pollock.

Acquire some more useful pieces and some depth hopefully and use the off-season to build a playoff roster.

What do you think?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I don’t think this is a playoff team, with a horrible manager not optimizing the talent on the roster, the constant injuries and the lack of adequate organizational depth. There’s just so much to overcome in my opinion.

If the Sox find themselves out of the playoff picture come the ASB, I think they should look to trade some of the vets on the roster. Most notably Abreu, Lynn, and Pollock.

Acquire some more useful pieces and some depth hopefully and use the off-season to build a playoff roster.

What do you think?

This won't happen, but if we are selling you have to take the calls on all expiring contracts PLUS Giolito, Moncada, Eloy and most the youngsters.  The only "untouchables" I'd have are Anderson, Robert, Cease and Kopech. I'd also be hoping these deals are for retooling rather than prospects that can't help next year.  

If nothing happens in the next month, this is a franchise that should listen on anyone that is a short term deal.  If someone blows you away, you work on reforming the shape of this team into something more balanced going forward.

Unfortunately, the guys who fit that description are mostly hurt and/or awful, so I doubt we see returns that are worth much to the future of this franchise. 

Typically a guy like Giolito should bring a huge return, but he has been terrible since COVID.  Maybe we could get something for the relievers, but even they have been injured and brutal in the top cases.

• Like 3

anybody who would replenish the farm system with the most amount of talent

Giolito, and Lynn should be on the block for sure, I would say TA7 also but I feel like they're gonna lock him up just so they can say "See? We spent the money"

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

anybody who would replenish the farm system with the most amount of talent

Giolito, and Lynn should be on the block for sure, I would say TA7 also but I feel like they're gonna lock him up just so they can say "See? We spent the money"

Giolito isn't getting you much back until he starts pitching better. 

If this team goes farther south and sells, I think they gotta get rid of anyone who might not be here past next year: Lynn, Hendriks, Giolito. The SP market probably won't be that saturated by the deadline, so there is a chance you can get something good back for a guy like Lynn. 

If this team remains in the doldrums, late July will be used for giveaways of non-core players. Salary dumping  will be the focus (they won't bother trying to get prospects), with the idea to keep this august front-office in good graces with the Chair.  

44 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Giolito isn't getting you much back until he starts pitching better. 

If this team goes farther south and sells, I think they gotta get rid of anyone who might not be here past next year: Lynn, Hendriks, Giolito. The SP market probably won't be that saturated by the deadline, so there is a chance you can get something good back for a guy like Lynn. 

Giolito has been good for so long, this year is clearly an outlier.  I think he'll definitely bring back a decent haul.

32 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

There's only 3 guys I'm considering untouchable at this point, Vaughn, Robert and Cease.  Even Kopech I'm listening for the right return. 

Cease and Kopech are locked up for way too long to trade them right now.  You'll get the same return this year as you would next year and the year after imo

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

What do you think?

And we expect Rick Hahn to make all the right moves? I don't think so!

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 3

Unwilling to part with: Cease, Kopech, Bummer, Vaughn, Robert, Anderson

Only willing to part with for a very hefty price: Giolito, Lynn, Hendriks, Graveman, Lopez

Willing to drive to the airport: Vaelsquez, Cueto, Foster, Crochet, Lambert, Ruiz, McGuire, Zavala, Jimenez, Harrison, Engel, Pollock

Would say I'd drive to the airport but would drop off in Englewood at 2am: Garcia

Edited by CentralChamps21
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Giolito has been good for so long, this year is clearly an outlier.  I think he'll definitely bring back a decent haul.

Anyone who is trading for him is doing so for what he can give them right now, because he's a free agent in 1.5 years. The only way he's worth anything other than scraps is if he has a really good July. Right now he's almost literally a salary dump.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

What do you think?

I don't believe this is a playoff team, nor do I believe they have it in them as constructed to make a meaningful run under TLR.  The problem is that anyone I would be willing to part with has been injured, awful, or has underperformed to the point of lowering their trade value.  Eloy, Moncada, and Giolito are tops on my list of guys I would trade, but it would be selling very low.  Robert, Vaughn, and Cease are untouchables, anyone else I listen on but only pull the trigger if I am blown away.  This team needs a reboot, but based on performance this year the returns I fear would be rather disappointing.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anyone who is trading for him is doing so for what he can give them right now, because he's a free agent in 1.5 years. The only way he's worth anything other than scraps is if he has a really good July. Right now he's almost literally a salary dump.

This is absolutely not true, by really any standard. 

He's making 7.5 million this season and next will be his last arb year. On May 25th of this season, he was sporting an ERA of 2.63.

He's had a terrible June but given that Giolito is in his age 27 season and has put up 3 consecutive seasons of well-above-average production, expecting a C-level prospect back for Giolito is an insane take on June 27th

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

He's making 7.5 million this season and next will be his last arb year. On May 25th of this season, he was sporting an ERA of 2.63.

He's had a terrible June but given that Giolito is in his age 27 season and has put up 3 consecutive seasons of well-above-average production, expecting a C-level prospect back for Giolito is an insane take on June 27th

Then he’s simply not moving because if the trade deadline were right now no contender would give up anything of value for him. Too high of a risk for anything else. That only changes if he gives you a few good games.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Truly an outrageous comment.  Giolito has certainly done some damage to his value his page 5-6 starts, but salary dump is just a comical take.  

• Like 4

They made the playoffs last year and the entire world thought the Sox were a playoff team going into the season…now the roster isn’t good enough and need to sell? That makes 0 sense to me. If you want to complain that the proper final steps weren’t taken to make the roster a true WS contender that’s fine. But this is a playoff caliber roster. There’s no doubt in my mind that the manager is holding this team back. 

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

They made the playoffs last year and the entire world thought the Sox were a playoff team going into the season…now the roster isn’t good enough and need to sell? That makes 0 sense to me. If you want to complain that the proper final steps weren’t taken to make the roster a true WS contender that’s fine. But this is a playoff caliber roster. There’s no doubt in my mind that the manager is holding this team back. 

The Sox aren't selling.  There is pretty much a 0% chance they'd trade any meaningful piece controlled behind 2022 even if they have a brutal July.  Right or wrong, they'll just run it back next year (hopefully with a new manager). 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox aren't selling.  There is pretty much a 0% chance they'd trade any meaningful piece controlled behind 2022 even if they have a brutal July.  Right or wrong, they'll just run it back next year (hopefully with a new manager). 

You would think that the results right now following the failure to make meaningful additions this past offseason would tell you to, you know, make those additions next offseason. But I agree running it back is more likely.

8 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

You would think that the results right now following the failure to make meaningful additions this past offseason would tell you to, you know, make those additions next offseason. But I agree running it back is more likely.

I would hope they’d add least add a lefty stick in RF. 

Sell high on Graveman now if you can in the hopes of using Lopez more as a closer if the team is out of it a month from now.

Prefer to deal Hendricks and keep Graveman, but how realistically will Liam's health hold up?

Need to carve out payroll flexibility somewhere. Obviously you listen on Bummer and Kelly as well if you can get something useful back.  Odds aren't great there either.