6/28 GT: Sox @ LAAAAAA - WHY IS TLR STILL HERE?

ChiSox59

Who goes down for Moncada today?  I was thinking Burger yesterday, but its probably Sosa.  He's looked pretty overmatched at the plate and I think they're going to want to keep getting Harrison in the lineup.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who goes down for Moncada today?  I was thinking Burger yesterday, but its probably Sosa.  He's looked pretty overmatched at the plate and I think they're going to want to keep getting Harrison in the lineup.  

Until Moncada proves he can play 3B every day and be productive, Burger needs to stay. It's probably Sosa, but it could also be Haseley.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Burger hasn't proven this either, for the record.

Right.  I am absolutely running Moncada out at 3B everyday, and if he needs an offday, Harrison can cover.  Burger shouldn't be playing 3B in the bigs unless its an emergency as long as Yoan is on the roster.  Dude is BAD at it. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  I am absolutely running Moncada out at 3B everyday, and if he needs an offday, Harrison can cover.  Burger shouldn't be playing 3B in the bigs unless its an emergency as long as Yoan is on the roster.  Dude is BAD at it. 

Look if we aren't going to score runs, we can't give away cheap ones.  Even if Moncada keeps hitting like he was prior to his injury, he is still giving top notch defense at 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Until Moncada proves he can play 3B every day and be productive, Burger needs to stay. It's probably Sosa, but it could also be Haseley.

Honestly after last night I'm leaning Sheets.

While there's several who can go down, Sosa is the one who would seem to have the best chance to benefit from a brief cup of coffee followed by regular at bats in Charlotte, and the most to lose if he goes back to playing less often with another infielder around.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Honestly after last night I'm leaning Sheets.

Doubt it.  He's like 7/16 since returning and Tony's pet.  

Need AV's legs to get better.  He's certainly not great in RF, but I'd take him over Gavin 100/100 times.  Then Gavin and Burger can DH until Eloy is ready, if that ever happens.  

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

He hit 2 balls hard last night and he is up for his offense so I think he stays.

If the Sox aren't going to trade for a legit LH bat, a Sheets/Pollock platoon with Vaughn flipping between LF and DH is the best option. Sheets can hit RHP but he just shouldn't ever play in the OF.

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If the Sox aren't going to trade for a legit LH bat, a Sheets/Pollock platoon with Vaughn flipping between LF and DH is the best option. Sheets can hit RHP but he just shouldn't ever play in the OF.

Could not agree with you more.

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

And damn I thought Pollock had turned a corner, but he looks as bad as he did earlier in the season.  The guy is an automatic out.  He only seemed to hit well when he was at the top of the lineup.

Another game this evening, another probable fiasco of an effort by this floundering White Sox team. Nothing seems to be going right or working for Chicago this season and the margain of error is getting slimmer as each game is played. Talk of TLR being fired will be the main chatter once again on the game thread with numerous chit chat about the pitiful play of our White Sox players. Same old story once again I'm afraid. With all that said, I'll be here once again rooting for them to somehow get this season turned around. It's possible that they can get their fire lit and start a run to the top but reality says other wise. Come on gang, see if a win tonight can jumpstart a nice winning streak.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, zisk said:

They probably have 2-3 weeks before it's too late. If the sense of urgency doesn't kick in by then they're finished.

There's no probably about it. They follow up this moderately tough road trip with 4 series against the AL Central, 1 of them Detroit and 3 against Minny/Cleveland. If they don't play several games over .500 on this stretch, then it's either a 12 game winning streak after the AS Break or they're effectively out of everything.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

This would just be another turd drop from Rick Hahn's ineptitude as GM. 

Jumps the kid from AA to the big leagues, gets the service clock going, takes a spot on the 40 man, then gets sent down after 10 ABs or so.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if we aren't going to score runs, we can't give away cheap ones.  Even if Moncada keeps hitting like he was prior to his injury, he is still giving top notch defense at 3rd.

To follow up on this, if you expand fangraphs out to 180 PAs to include Jake Burger's season here are their defensive ratings out of 76 peers

Yoan Moncada 17th 3.9 Dwar, 3.6 UZR/150, 1 OAA, 0 RAA

Jake Burger 57th -4.2 Dwar, -13.4 UZR/150, -6 OAA, -4 RAA

2 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I feel very strongly both ways about everything posted here and remember Tony is a genius 

Do you concur with the OP that they should "Strive mightily to win"?

• Like 1