Sox trying to get Moncada more aggressive

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Let's not be too hasty.  Only one of his hits last night was hit hard.  The single was a bloop hit off the end of the bat.  He also struck out twice.  He had a good night but so did Seby, Leury and just about the rest of the Sox lineup that combined for 17 hits.

It would be great if Yoan can get back to what he was supposed to be but don't get too excited just yet.

Literally the first thing I said was I DON"T KNOW IF IT IS A FLUKE OR NOT.

And as I said, it was more a comment about the swings he was taking, versus the results.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Literally the first thing I said was I DON"T KNOW IF IT IS A FLUKE OR NOT.

And as I said, it was more a comment about the swings he was taking, versus the results.

For some reason, that guy would rather be “right” about Moncada, Yaz and Eloy than seeing them do well. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

I just struggle to see this as an approach problem. The inability to hit velocity really freaks me out with him, as does the not hitting the ball hard. He used to hit the ball hard even when he wasn't aggressive.

In 2018, when he just watched strike 3 every at bat, he had a hard hit % of 44%. It's 33% this year. HIs avg exit velo was 91. It's 87.3 this year. 

So he's not that aggressive, but also he's not finding favorable pitches to crush anyway. He's not generating power for a guy as strong as he has been historically. They need to figure that out.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I just struggle to see this as an approach problem. The inability to hit velocity really freaks me out with him, as does the not hitting the ball hard. He used to hit the ball hard even when he wasn't aggressive.

In 2018, when he just watched strike 3 every at bat, he had a hard hit % of 44%. It's 33% this year. HIs avg exit velo was 91. It's 87.3 this year. 

So he's not that aggressive, but also he's not finding favorable pitches to crush anyway. He's not generating power for a guy as strong as he has been historically. They need to figure that out.

If its a physical issue then hopefully with rest and the right conditioning he can get back to that. Hes what, 27? I really hope thats the case because the dude should be in his absolute prime

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, reiks12 said:

If its a physical issue then hopefully with rest and the right conditioning he can get back to that. Hes what, 27? I really hope thats the case because the dude should be in his absolute prime

Rest?  Not enough rest?  Naps?  Sleep deprivation?  Tired blood?  Rest?

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, reiks12 said:

OZZIE SAYS ITS RIDICULOUS ALL THESE YOUNG GUYS IN THEIR 20s NEED REST

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Before yesterday's ofer. 

Those stats are incorrect. For starters he was on the IL from 18th-28th June and since he got back he has 4 hits from 18 AB which is .222 and his stats for the last 15 games have him batting .245.  And those figures are inflated by his 5 hits in the blow out game against Detroit when at least 2 were against position players. 

I really do hope Yoan figures it out soon but he is not looking that good since coming back from injury but that is hardly surprising as he has had no real consistency because of persistent injuries this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Those stats are incorrect. For starters he was on the IL from 18th-28th June and since he got back he has 4 hits from 18 AB which is .222 and his stats for the last 15 games have him batting .245.  And those figures are inflated by his 5 hits in the blow out game against Detroit when at least 2 were against position players. 

I really do hope Yoan figures it out soon but he is not looking that good since coming back from injury but that is hardly surprising as he has had no real consistency because of persistent injuries this season.

Right. No matter how you slice it he got it wrong If you count the number of AB's with the Sox starting with the June 13 game he's 11 for 36 or .306

If you count it from June 14 it's 10 for 32 or .313.  Whoever Jake is, he has trouble with math.

The 5 for 6 game was June 15. He had 1 AB on the 17th and went 0-1 before being IL'd.

SO if we want to play his game accurately Yoan is hitting .182 since June 17th but has only played 5 games since his return from the IL on June 28 . 4 for 21 or .190.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:17 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

OZZIE SAYS ITS RIDICULOUS ALL THESE YOUNG GUYS IN THEIR 20s NEED REST

Dr. Oz is always opening his mouth without thinking. Giolito , Covid ,came back instantly sucked. Robert before Covid was leading the Sox with 7 HR's in 33 games. After Covid in 29 games 2 HR's. His BA has stayed about the same but his slugging and OPS has dropped a little bit.

A month+ long tear like he had starting in August after his return from injury last year would be very helpful.

Vaughn, not an OF . His legs can't handle it. Needs his legs for hitting .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside