Sox trying to get Moncada more aggressive

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

“I showed him how he hit in 2019 and I told him, ‘You need to start being that guy every day,'” Menechino said.

Great advice Frank

He's the man with the plan. No wonder the offense is unstoppable

Some interesting Moncada statistics (keep in mind this might be because his legs are hurt, as ptatc says below):

- GB% at 48.6%, 5% increase from last year

- LD% down 12% from last year, at a paltry 15%

-MED% (% of balls as hit with medium speed) highest of career at 67%

-HARD%  lowest at 22%

(Menechino mantra: Don't do too much)

- O-Contact% (percentage of balls hit outside the zone) has gone up considerably from 2019, 11%!

- Z-Contact% (percentage of balls hit inside the zone) has gone down considerably from 2019, 7%!

Yet when you look at his 2019, his Swing% in both outside and inside are similar to this year. Is he sacrificing his power just to make contact? Menechino mantra again?

EV in 2019: 93.1

EV in 2022: 87.6

Clearly he is swinging less hard to make contact.

Moncada has been mentally broken from the coaching he has been getting. This is the EXACT same pattern we see with other hitters on the White Sox. Robert's trending in the same direction. 

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Some interesting Moncada statistics:

-HARD%  lowest at 22%

- O-Contact% (percentage of balls hit outside the zone) has gone up considerably from 2019, 11%!

- Z-Contact% (percentage of balls hit inside the zone) has gone down considerably from 2019, 7%!

Yet when you look at his 2019, his Swing% in both outside and inside are similar to this year. Is he sacrificing his power just to make contact? Menechino mantra again?

Moncada has been mentally broken from the coaching he has been getting. This is the EXACT same pattern we see with other hitters on the White Sox. Robert's trending in the same direction. 

Is it trying to swing less hard or have the leg injuries decreased his power?

Tough to generate power without leg strength.

24 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Some interesting Moncada statistics:

-HARD%  lowest at 22%

Do the White Sox employ any baseball people that can note the things you just did?

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Do the White Sox employ any baseball people that can note the things you just did?

The White Sox do have an analytics coordinator. Shelley Duncan, who also likely got the job more because his dad was TLR's pitching coach Dave Duncan than because of anything else on his resume.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-nerdy-conversation-with-white-sox-analytics-coordinator-shelly-duncan/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox do have an analytics coordinator. Shelley Duncan, who also likely got the job more because his dad was TLR's pitching coach Dave Duncan than because of anything else on his resume.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-nerdy-conversation-with-white-sox-analytics-coordinator-shelly-duncan/

This organization. Sheesh.

28 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Then he needed to be IL'ed a long long time ago instead of pushing it further

Possible, but who would have been a better replacement? Everyone want Burger gone due to defense. Is there a better option?

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Possible, but who would have been a better replacement? Everyone want Burger gone due to defense. Is there a better option?

If you are having to play your guys hurt because theres 0 farm depth then part of the blame should be on Hahn, his FO, and the people they employ as scouts and coaches in the minors. 

Although Burger has been bad on defense I don't think the majority of people want him gone. I dont. Without his offense this team is in laughable territory

• Like 2

As someone mentioned our DH's are not hitterish enough to justify DH status. Jake just does not have the body to be an agile 3B and now the concrete glove. Gavin does not look that comfortable moving in RF. Maybe these guys grew up playing soccer??

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

“I showed him how he hit in 2019 and I told him, ‘You need to start being that guy every day,'” Menechino said.

Great advice Frank

That's why they pay Frank the big bucks for those amazing hitting tips. Oh btw, Frank, you weren't the hitting coach in 2019 when he actually could hit. Oh that's right, you took over in 2020 when he went downhill. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

If this quote is real he needs to be fired for saying that alone. This whole organization is a clown show.

Apparently Menechino bases his coaching philosophy on the "come on bud, just throw strikes!" coaching you hear in Little League.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Is it trying to swing less hard or have the leg injuries decreased his power?

Tough to generate power without leg strength.

Is it possible there was still residual pain when swinging too hard from his oblique injury? IIRC those injuries, or at least discomfort from them, tend to linger especially given lots of a swing's torque is generated from the oblique. I certainly hope that's a cause of the reduced EV and that he's had ample time to recover by now. 

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Apparently Menechino bases his coaching philosophy on the "come on bud, just throw strikes!" coaching you hear in Little League.

I read it more as "do what the other guy told you to do before I started coaching you."

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know if it's a fluke or not, but Yoan had more on his swing than he had in a while.  Hopefully that 10 days off fixed whatever was wrong with him, because we could use last nights version of Moncada if we have a chance of turning things around.

Let's not be too hasty.  Only one of his hits last night was hit hard.  The single was a bloop hit off the end of the bat.  He also struck out twice.  He had a good night but so did Seby, Leury and just about the rest of the Sox lineup that combined for 17 hits.

It would be great if Yoan can get back to what he was supposed to be but don't get too excited just yet.