Moncada Reinstated, Sosa Optioned to AAA

maloney.adam

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shrug; I am well aware of how options work.  Sox can send Sosa back and forth between the minors and majors for 2.5 more seasons.  Their hands are not tied until 2025.  If he's still looking at getting optioned in 2025 after 2.5 seasons in AAA, he isn't worth all the hand wringing. 

I get the potential downside risk, but its fairly remote.  If he was better prospect heading into 22, he'd have been added to the 40 man last December.  

Like I said, calling him up for 5 days was a curious decision.  To me it reeks of the a lack of communication between the FO and TLR.  But this downside risk you laid out isn't really all that likely to come to fruition.  I too would have just opted for a waiver wire pick, or Dee Gordon as you've pointed out, but I just don't think this is something worth skewering the organization over.  There is plenty of other things to do that about.  

Like I said, it isn’t likely to be a big deal for any one player, but every so often it becomes a major unforced error.

The biggest name I can think of that basically followed this path of called up too early from AA and breaking out right after being released is JD Martinez. And one flop that big illustrates the downside- rare and unlikely, but you get unlucky and bang you gave Detroit one of the best hitters in the game. So if you have a simple way to avoid that downside, probably good to do so.

I don't know - I'm not seeing this as as big of an error as others are seeing it.

Yes - he gets added to the 40-man a year early. Yes - he burns an option.
As someone else said, though - he now has 2.5 years basically to prove he's a worthy major league player. If in 2025 he's still a borderline AAA / 4A player, then hemming and hawing about a burned option when he's 22 isn't really that big of a deal.

As for "why call someone up for 5 days?" - who knows? Optimistically, maybe there's something personal that he can benefit from for his development as a player (conduct, advice, coaching from someone like Abreu and definitely not Menechino, etc.) that he can take back with him to the minors??

My guess is that there was no better option with Sanchez hurt (not a good thing to not have sufficient organizational depth) so he was the next guy available. Bad spot for the organization to be in, but IMO the downside isn't as catastrophic as others make it out to be.

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shrug; I am well aware of how options work.  Sox can send Sosa back and forth between the minors and majors for 2.5 more seasons.  Their hands are not tied until 2025.  If he's still looking at getting optioned in 2025 after 2.5 seasons in AAA, he isn't worth all the hand wringing. 

I get the potential downside risk, but its fairly remote.  If he was better prospect heading into 22, he'd have been added to the 40 man last December.  

Like I said, calling him up for 5 days was a curious decision.  To me it reeks of the a lack of communication between the FO and TLR.  But this downside risk you laid out isn't really all that likely to come to fruition.  I too would have just opted for a waiver wire pick, or Dee Gordon as you've pointed out, but I just don't think this is something worth skewering the organization over.  There is plenty of other things to do that about.  

I could have saved myself a lot of keystrokes with a simple "ditto."

3 hours ago, bmags said:

If they were only going to use him for a weekend, there are guys in AAA who are older and more ready to burn an option on.

Agreed, but that's water under the bridge.  What did you expect from this organization?

I'm just glad they didn't send an outfielder like Haseley down to make room for yet another infielder and then have Sosa sitting on the bench behind Leury and Josh at 2B while continuing to plug infielders into the outfield.

7 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Gotta make sure TLR can fit Leury's -1 WAR and 28 wRC+ into the lineup, NOBODY PUTS LEURY IN A CORNER!

This index is at work tonight.  Leury is playing LF and hitting 7 th.  Another TLR questionable decision.  Even Leury has said that he stinks..  TLR apparently does not believe him.

The arguments against this are basically summarized as "it's unlikely to be a huge error, so it's not a big deal". The problem is it's another dumb mistake that showcases the incoherent operation Hahn is running. Is it going to end the white sox or lenyn sosa as we know it? Likely not.

But if I was Rick Hahn, next to my 3 graduate degrees I'd hang up a white board that says "Days since last terrible decision" and I would really try to get a really big number up there. Then I'd graduate up a level to "consecutive days with a good decision". Because it's not just about preventing bad decisions, though that would be great. I think Hahn should really try to make good decisions. And maybe, after another 10 years on the job, Hahn can get to some great decisions.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

The arguments against this are basically summarized as "it's unlikely to be a huge error, so it's not a big deal". The problem is it's another dumb mistake that showcases the incoherent operation Hahn is running. Is it going to end the white sox or lenyn sosa as we know it? Likely not.

But if I was Rick Hahn, next to my 3 graduate degrees I'd hang up a white board that says "Days since last terrible decision" and I would really try to get a really big number up there. Then I'd graduate up a level to "consecutive days with a good decision". Because it's not just about preventing bad decisions, though that would be great. I think Hahn should really try to make good decisions. And maybe, after another 10 years on the job, Hahn can get to some great decisions.

Cueto probably fits that category.

Unfortunately, 4-5 bad decisions for every one that works out well.

Graveman has been very good too, but his lack of availability to pitch in back to back appearances or multiple innings somewhat mitigates his perceived plus value.