Luis' Swing

SouthSideRock

1 hour ago, SouthSideRock said:

I don't know if I'm the only person that has noticed or if there are stats that support this, but whenever I see Luis follow through with two hands he tends to do pretty well at the plate.  Just thought that was interesting when I saw that HR last night.

That's more of a balance thing. When he's not fooled, he goes through the zone with better balance and his bat is more in line with his hips and he's not flailing at the ball. When he's off balance, his bat gets out in front of his hips and his turn, so he lets go of the bat with his back hand. It's not that his swing is different as much as it's just that he's off balance and has to release with his trail hand.

• Like 1

Robert's problem is not his swing. His swing is fine. His problem is, he isn't patient enough at the plate and swings at too many pitches outside the zone.

Robert leads MLB in O-Swing% at 48.6%. 

Case in Point:

MLB Home Run leaders 

HR                                     O-Swing%

Aaron Judge - 28               28.1
Mike Trout - 23                  24.3
Yordan Alvarez - 23          25.3
Kyle Schwarber - 23         24.2
Pete Alonso - 22               33.7
Anthony Rizzo - 20           30.7
Byron Buxton - 20            32.6
Paul Goldschmidt - 19    30.4
Christian Walker - 19      24.9

Luis Robert - 8                 48.6

Robert has the swing and power to hit more home runs, but not with his current batting plate discipline and approach. 

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

his swing is fine... the issue he has is seeing the ball

if he just was 10-15% more selective he would be devastating.

• Like 2

Robert's natural talent is the only reason he's in the big leagues right now.  With that said, he isn't close to hitting his prime, way too many flaws in his game (on offense and defense).  He's still a better player than probably 95% of the guys who come up with his level of minor league seasoning.  Sox probably brought him up when they did because his flaws weren't going to be remedied in AAA (tightening up his O-Swing% isnt' going to happen facing AAA pitching and that's a fact) and it was a budgetary move also

• Like 1