6/29 GT: Sox @ LAAAAAA (Kopech v. Ohtani) - let's go streaking at 8:38 PM CT

ChiSox59

• bmags pinned this topic

Watched some of the replay this morning. Seeing Ohtani and Trouts slashlines...for the good of the sport they should contract the angels and distribute those guys throughout the league (but within the southside of chicago exclusively).

JR would probably opt out to avoid the salary.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Watched some of the replay this morning. Seeing Ohtani and Trouts slashlines...for the good of the sport they should contract the angels and distribute those guys throughout the league (but within the southside of chicago exclusively).

JR would probably opt out to avoid the salary.

If we think we're pessimistic, Angels fans saw Trout and Ohtani go back-to-back and assumed they'd lose because Tungsten Arm O'Doyle won't be denied.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

If we think we're pessimistic, Angels fans saw Trout and Ohtani go back-to-back and assumed they'd lose because Tungsten Arm O'Doyle won't be denied.

I honestly don't think there is a worse situation than the angels. I know myself, and I know that it would seriously be hard for me to enjoy having the two greatest players on the planet because having slightly below .500 teams is the worst. And we always assumed ok if we just got better players we'll be good. What a mindfuck to have some of the greatest players in the game on your team, a high payroll, a completely different team than 5 years ago, and yet the same team nonetheless.

They've tried completely different draft strategies in the meantime, and do have a better farm than 5 years ago, but still.

It would really drain me, and what a terrible state when having Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani on your team and never getting a good run.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I honestly don't think there is a worse situation than the angels. I know myself, and I know that it would seriously be hard for me to enjoy having the two greatest players on the planet because having slightly below .500 teams is the worst. And we always assumed ok if we just got better players we'll be good. What a mindfuck to have some of the greatest players in the game on your team, a high payroll, a completely different team than 5 years ago, and yet the same team nonetheless.

They've tried completely different draft strategies in the meantime, and do have a better farm than 5 years ago, but still.

It would really drain me, and what a terrible state when having Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani on your team and never getting a good run.

It's the Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu situation, but 1000 times worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu wasn't the problem.  The problem was Rick Hahn being incapable of building a good team around them and now we're seeing that same problem again.  

Which is...exactly what the Angels have, but 1000 times worse because the Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core was good, but they weren't Trout/Ohtani good.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

They are the ultimate boom or bust roster.  Such a weird mix of absolute superstars and dumpster fires.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Is it much different than what the White Sox did when Thomas was the best player in the game?

Uh totally. The angels haven't made the playoffs since 2014. While the back half of the 90s was rough, we only didn't make the playoffs in 94 because of the strike, then we made the playoffs in 2000, then obviously a gap and then 2005.

And keep in mind it is EASIER to make the playoffs than when Thomas was the sox star. The 2015 angels had 85 wins but since then have been below .500, not close to competitive. 91/92/96/03 the sox had winning records and were competitive.

The angels have been an afterthought to the division fights every year for the last 7 seasons. 

People talk about how bad the AL Central is and I understand that but the AL West has the Astros and every other team is under .500 and I never hear anything about what a lousy division that is.  

Edited by wegner
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wegner said:

People talk about how bad the AL Central is and I understand that but the AL West has the Astros and every other team is under .500 and I never hear anything about what a lousy division that is.  

well the top team has a .630 win percentage not a .530 or whatever the twins is.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Uh totally. The angels haven't made the playoffs since 2014. While the back half of the 90s was rough, we only didn't make the playoffs in 94 because of the strike, then we made the playoffs in 2000, then obviously a gap and then 2005.

And keep in mind it is EASIER to make the playoffs than when Thomas was the sox star. The 2015 angels had 85 wins but since then have been below .500, not close to competitive. 91/92/96/03 the sox had winning records and were competitive.

The angels have been an afterthought to the division fights every year for the last 7 seasons. 

Frank Thomas never won a playoff series and I think he only won one playoff game in his White Sox career.

This was back when there was much more parity amongst teams and spending.

The Angels are spending foolishly but they are spending. 

1 hour ago, wegner said:

The Rangers are a sleeping giant in a huge media market/new stadium and the Mariners will turn the corner eventually.

Sure, the A’s are terrible and will relocate eventually, but the Angels would be competitive with a healthy Rendon.  Ward has been amazing, and Walsh and Marsh are solid.  It’s their problem supplementing the core (see the trials and travails of Jo Adell) and developing pitching internally that has doomed them to mediocrity.

They are fourth right now behind both Wests, NL East.  But the Astros are still THE team in the AL until the Yankees knock them off.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Which is...exactly what the Angels have, but 1000 times worse because the Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core was good, but they weren't Trout/Ohtani good.

Trout & Ohtani are generational stars and the org can't put a good team around them, despite spending gobs of cash in FA.  White Sox fandom is frustrating AF for myriad reasons, but I do feel for LAA fans.  That's a whole different level of long-suffering frustration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Rangers are a sleeping giant in a huge media market/new stadium and the Mariners will turn the corner eventually.

Sure, the A’s are terrible and will relocate eventually, but the Angels would be competitive with a healthy Rendon.  Ward has been amazing, and Walsh and Marsh are solid.  It’s their problem supplementing the core (see the trials and travails of Jo Adell) and developing pitching internally that has doomed them to mediocrity.

Rarely what you want to hear about your ballclub.  I'm sure the 2022 White Sox will turn the corner eventually....maybe next week when they play some games that matter against the Twins.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Frank Thomas never won a playoff series and I think he only won one playoff game in his White Sox career.

This was back when there was much more parity amongst teams and spending.

The Angels are spending foolishly but they are spending. 

The angels aren't even making the playoffs man. They aren't even threatening.

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Trout & Ohtani are generational stars and the org can't put a good team around them, despite spending gobs of cash in FA.  White Sox fandom is frustrating AF for myriad reasons, but I do feel for LAA fans.  That's a whole different level of long-suffering frustration.

Pujols, Hamilton, Rendon, Upton (a trade, but a trade with a lot of cash/years attached).

Every time they try to add a second/third star using their pocketbook, it crashes and burns.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

Pujols, Hamilton, Rendon, Upton (a trade, but a trade with a lot of cash/years attached).

Every time they try to add a second/third star using their pocketbook, it crashes and burns.

I took a look through some archive documents and the last time it appears they had a consensus top 10 system was back in 2010-2011 when they had Mike Trout down there. Since then they’ve been consensus bottom 10 every year, coming in last more than once. I also can’t remember any prospects they had coming up from the international market.

Theyre a great example in this respect of how a lack of a supporting system starves a big league roster even if they’re willing to spend money.

• Like 1