Oscar Colas Story (Is this true?)

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I actually think it's true. He did miss time earlier for an unknown reason. Maybe he should be reminded that an average American after 30 years of work can't even save anything close to the amount of money he already has at 23 yrs. old . His talent is a gift and will reap many benefits with the right attitude. That said depression will warp your thoughts.

Kenny Williams always used to say prospects are just suspects until they prove themselves in the Major Leagues.  Hopefully this kid straightens himself out and gets his mind right.

45 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Kenny Williams always used to say prospects are just suspects until they prove themselves in the Major Leagues.  Hopefully this kid straightens himself out and gets his mind right.

Probably because he had so many terrible drafts under his supervision.

Or guys who never realized their potential until first leaving the organization.

Prospects were just his way of bringing established veterans into the fold.  And it did work.  Once.  But never on a consistent, repeatable or sustainable basis.

Unless that goal was second or third place.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Or guys who never realized their potential until first leaving the organization.

Prospects were just his way of bringing established veterans into the fold.  And it did work.  Once.  But never on a consistent, repeatable or sustainable basis.

Oh no, don't go getting people started on that again.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, Kenny could be criticized about a lot of things.  But what I liked about Kenny was that he was always trying (although not always successfully) to bring in better talent than what they had.  Trade deadlines and offseasons were always entertaining during the KW years.  He was always shooting for the moon.

Another thing I liked about KW was losing really seemed to bother him and he wouldn't tolerate lackadaisical play from anyone.  From calling out his players as "b*tches and motherf**kers" to flipping over banquet tables to calling out Jon Rauch for leaving the park early, KW at least showed some passion for the team.  Not saying all was proper, but at least you knew he cared and would take action to improve the team. 

Can you imagine what KW must be thinking today when he sees the manager telling the players not to hustle?

• Fire 1

You can see that the Sox organization is an absolute joke with player development 

Cesar Prieto and Oscar Colas were signed at 23 years old.  Both decided to forfeit almost all of their contract to come stateside right away.  Both being older were almost assuredly under the impression that if they were able to perform well that they would be on a faster track to the majors then other prospects.  

Both Prieto and Colas were raking at A+ for the first month.  At that time the Baltimore Orioles promoted Prieto to AA.  The Sox chose to keep Colas down, why, no reason why.  A+ was solely intended to let both players shake off the rust and get used to American baseball and a routine.  Its not been a month past when Prieto was promoted to AA.  Colas is still at A+ and continuing to rake.  

Then comes Colson Montgomery who raked at A ball to a similar tune that Colas was doing at A+.  Colson gets promoted to A+ while Colas is still forced to stay at A+.  

Then we have the Lenyn Sosa situation as he gets promoted from AA to the bigs while Colas is still stuck at A+

The Sox fucked up if this is the root cause of a perceived rift.  Nothing surprising bc the guys running the organization at every position are straight trash.  Colas should have been promoted a month ago plain and simple.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

You can see that the Sox organization is an absolute joke with player development 

Cesar Prieto and Oscar Colas were signed at 23 years old.  Both decided to forfeit almost all of their contract to come stateside right away.  Both being older were almost assuredly under the impression that if they were able to perform well that they would be on a faster track to the majors then other prospects.  

Both Prieto and Colas were raking at A+ for the first month.  At that time the Baltimore Orioles promoted Prieto to AA.  The Sox chose to keep Colas down, why, no reason why.  A+ was solely intended to let both players shake off the rust and get used to American baseball and a routine.  Its not been a month past when Prieto was promoted to AA.  Colas is still at A+ and continuing to rake.  

Then comes Colson Montgomery who raked at A ball to a similar tune that Colas was doing at A+.  Colson gets promoted to A+ while Colas is still forced to stay at A+.  

Then we have the Lenyn Sosa situation as he gets promoted from AA to the bigs while Colas is still stuck at A+

The Sox fucked up if this is the root cause of a perceived rift.  Nothing surprising bc the guys running the organization at every position are straight trash.  Colas should have been promoted a month ago plain and simple.  

I don't follow what goes on in the lower levels of the Sox organization that closely.  Your post helps me understand Colas's frustration a lot more.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Chris Getz has brought little or nothing with him from the Royals...they hit on a string of high first rounders over there and Dylan Moore made the right moves for vets to get them two WS appearances, but their development results are typically bottom 5-10.

Well, maybe the Sox would have messed up Witt, JR., too.

"I never wanted things to turn out so contentious. I don't have anything bad to say about the team. I am thankful for the opportunity and the way they treated me throughout this tough year."

His Hawks contract, negotiated by the Cuban government, contained a five-year team option. Colas insists it was never explained to him and thought he had no obligation to SoftBank beyond 2019.

He defected last winter in the hope of signing a deal with a major league club, something SoftBank would not permit. Dash believes he could sign with a big league club as early as January."

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/sports

Sounds like something Ozzie Guillen might have come up with...

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Chris Getz has brought little or nothing with him from the Royals...they hit on a string of high first rounders over there and Dylan Moore made the right moves for vets to get them two WS appearances, but their development results are typically bottom 5-10.

Well, maybe the Sox would have messed up Witt, JR., too.

The Sox do have some very promising guys in the system.  Its just been a mismanagement of a few that wreck the things as a whole.  

Borrero and Quezada are the next crop of young guys that I'm excited about.  I just hope they don't mess them up like other in past.  

I have no idea what the first word of that phrase means, but ‘hacer’ is the infinitive of ‘to make’.  Something is making, makes, or made (?) my soul hurt.  My recollection of verb tenses is really bad these days so not sure.  We also have no clue about the context of the statement.   Hard to glean meaning w/o a native speaker of Cuban Spanish. 

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I have no idea what the first word of that phrase means, but ‘hacer’ is the infinitive of ‘to make’.  Something is making, makes, or made (?) my soul hurt.  My recollection of verb tenses is really bad these days so not sure.  We also have no clue about the context of the statement.   Hard to glean meaning w/o a native speaker of Cuban Spanish

Come back to us @Cubano

13 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Yeah, I'm sure Sosa took solace to that idea.  Give me a break. 

Anyone who makes it to the show never wants to get sent down, especially unfairly when the guys they decided to keep just flat out suck. 

Of course he didn't want to get sent down. However I'm sure he was stunned and elated to get the call as he wasn't the most obvious choice. 

It more enjoying the fact he got the call more than he was sent down. I'm sure he absolutely loved the experience. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yeah, Kenny could be criticized about a lot of things.  But what I liked about Kenny was that he was always trying (although not always successfully) to bring in better talent than what they had.  Trade deadlines and offseasons were always entertaining during the KW years.  He was always shooting for the moon.

Another thing I liked about KW was losing really seemed to bother him and he wouldn't tolerate lackadaisical play from anyone.  From calling out his players as "b*tches and motherf**kers" to flipping over banquet tables to calling out Jon Rauch for leaving the park early, KW at least showed some passion for the team.  Not saying all was proper, but at least you knew he cared and would take action to improve the team. 

Can you imagine what KW must be thinking today when he sees the manager telling the players not to hustle?

Do you think the President of Baseball Operations has zero input on that decision?

7 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

In this organization? Who knows?

Come on man.  There is no separation of powers here, Kenny is absolutely in the room.  Acting like he would have this team in a somehow different and better position is just ignoring how many times he sold out the future for mediocre teams and was a big part of the reason the rebuild had to happen

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Come on man.  There is no separation of powers here, Kenny is absolutely in the room.  Acting like he would have this team in a somehow different and better position is just ignoring how many times he sold out the future for mediocre teams and was a big part of the reason the rebuild had to happen

Sure, but 2000 through 2012 still looks a heckuva lot better than 2013-2022.