Oscar Colas Story (Is this true?)

57 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yoelqui Cespedes has nothing to do with when Oscar Colas gets promoted. And that’s not just my opinion. 

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

None of the other four outfielders at Birmingham should be blocking Colas.

Cespedes is barely hanging in there at the periphery of the Top 30.  Only his name recognition has any impact, but that and the money they likely wasted on/invested in him has nothing to do with Colas, either.

Sunk cost.

The White Sox will eventually promote him simply so they can argue in the media he’s close enough to the big leagues so they don’t need to tie up long term money with a LH corner outfielder in FA.

It's literally the only explanation.  Sox probably don't want to move either off of CF and aren't sending Cespedes down to A+.  Thus Colas stays at A+ since Cespedes is already at AA.   It's the way the Sox work.  

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

It's literally the only explanation.  Sox probably don't want to move either off of CF and aren't sending Cespedes down to A+.  Thus Colas stays at A+ since Cespedes is already at AA.   It's the way the Sox work.  

Well sure. It's not like they promoted a AA player straight to the MLB for a couple if days or anything.  They always refuse to promote players.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

There were all deleted (except for 2) yesterday and his profile pic turned to just a red circle.  Today its back to normal 

Could have been hacked

• Like 1

Here's the thing.

No one said anything about this. There has been no denial, no acknowledgement.  Nothing.  If it was a misunderstanding, I would imagine someone would have said so. That's easy to fix. If Colas doesn't say it, you shovel it to one of your preferred scribes to do it for you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pcq said:

I would think he is frustrated with the garbage blocking his access to Chicago. His agent might be getting him worked up. 

Dudes not even a top 100 prospect. Maybe he should pump the breaks a bit if that’s his opinion. I am excited for the guy, but it’s not he’s some can’t miss guy. 

That said, there are several overdue promotions in the minors and Colas is high on the list. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I would think he is frustrated with the garbage blocking his access to Chicago. His agent might be getting him worked up. 

He's not even close to ready for Chicago. He's not even likely to be a top 100 prospect right now. 

Neither was Alexei Ramirez considered a Top 100 prospect when he came over.

Nobody knows because he basically sat for three years.

That's a ton of rust.

The one certainty at this point is that Cespedes shouldn't be blocking his path.  Robert is...they will keep him in CF as long as possible for projecting trade value but he's far more valuable to the Sox as a viable LH option.

And because they're not going to pay up for Conforto or Nimmo.

30 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Just reported on the Score Colas is unhappy to still be in A Ball. Thinks he can help the major league league team. 

This is about right.   As an older prospect his progression should have been almost identical to (if not faster than Cesar Prieto).  

A+ for a couple weeks to a month to shake off the rust.  

If he hit just average there (he hit well above average) he should have been promoted to AA. 

After being at AA for another month (depending on his performance) he should have been promoted to AAA.  

He then should have been at AAA for the remainder of the season unless he was doing great, at which point a callup to the bigs would be warranted (only if he was doing great at AAA).  

This isn't a prospect, this is closer to the equivalent of say a Seiya Suzuki than a 18 year old Cuban (which is how they are treating him).   

For his skill and age, Colas should have been spending most of the season at AAA if he did well at AA, or AA if it was more of a challenge.  The Sox are treating him like he is an 18 year old Cuban thats only played in the DSL which is an absolute joke.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Just reported on the Score Colas is unhappy to still be in A Ball. Thinks he can help the major league league team. 

Soxtalk endorses this message.

To be honest, my soul hurts a bit any time I watch the 2022 White Sox.

Edited by wegner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Polar Bear said:

This is about right.   As an older prospect his progression should have been almost identical to (if not faster than Cesar Prieto).  

A+ for a couple weeks to a month to shake off the rust.  

If he hit just average there (he hit well above average) he should have been promoted to AA. 

After being at AA for another month (depending on his performance) he should have been promoted to AAA.  

He then should have been at AAA for the remainder of the season unless he was doing great, at which point a callup to the bigs would be warranted (only if he was doing great at AAA).  

This isn't a prospect, this is closer to the equivalent of say a Seiya Suzuki than a 18 year old Cuban (which is how they are treating him).   

For his skill and age, Colas should have been spending most of the season at AAA if he did well at AA, or AA if it was more of a challenge.  The Sox are treating him like he is an 18 year old Cuban thats only played in the DSL which is an absolute joke.  

The problem is he has no real "major" league experience.  Almost all of his time in Japan was in their minor league system.  The other guys you are talking about have a ton more ABs professionally, and they also have them more recently.

I get it is time to move the kid up a level, but to compare him to a guy who had 1000 ABs in the last two seasons in the top Japanese league when Colas had exactly 0 during that same time frame isn't and apples to apples comparison.

I saw him in two games in W-S, and I’ve watched him on MiLB, he clearly has shaken the rust off and should be at a higher level.  How high?  Who knows?  I think he’s a future MLB hitter and that the future is soon.  My question is more upside. I would guess high average, some power but he’s not Yordan Alvarez. I wish they would move him to AA and stick him in rf. Hard to tell whether the arm plays there until they try it.  

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is he has no real "major" league experience.  Almost all of his time in Japan was in their minor league system.  The other guys you are talking about have a ton more ABs professionally, and they also have them more recently.

I get it is time to move the kid up a level, but to compare him to a guy who had 1000 ABs in the last two seasons in the top Japanese league when Colas had exactly 0 during that same time frame isn't and apples to apples comparison.

I said closer to that than an 18 year old that's only played in the DSL.  As he has played in the minors in Japan which is closer to AA.  And he did play in the bigs in Japan for a couple games which is probably closer to AAA.  

Hmm. Wonder if that stretch of him not playing for a while in May is somewhat related to this. I'm not sure we ever received confirmation of injury. The occurrence was so odd with him removing himself from the game and marching into the clubhouse by himself.

/End speculation. 

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I said closer to that than an 18 year old that's only played in the DSL.  As he has played in the minors in Japan which is closer to AA.  And he did play in the bigs in Japan for a couple games which is probably closer to AAA.  

Sure.  A kid that young starts out in rookie ball, not in High A.  That is a higher assignment than any 18 year old would get.