Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Look at Ray Ray Run

Oscar Colas Story (Is this true?)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Current IG story below, my google translate skills lead me to believe this roughly translates to "my fucking soul hurts" 

image.png

 

 

Hopefully he's doing alright. I'd imagine he's away from most people he loves and has been for some time. 

That in addition to probably being here, for what he feels like is work only. 

That said, the slave thing is a bit much. 

Hopefully this is all a nothingburger and it's not about the Sox treatment and if it's personal that he's OK sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not that he played with Lenyn Sosa, but if I'm a promising minor league player right now for this franchise, I'd be very concerned at how that shit show was handled. 

a) should have never skipped AAA

b) should have never been returned to that skipped AAA after just a handful of ABs here.  

Harrison, Leury, or the dumbass AAAA OF guy should have been launched to the moon first. 

 

 

Edited by HOFHurt35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox will reach out to Colas and take care of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tray said:

Sox will reach out to Colas and take care of him.

Based on what?  Sheer blind faith?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonders why he can't play for a sucko team like the Sox. Good point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Not that he played with Lenyn Sosa, but if I'm a promising minor league player right now for this franchise, I'd be very concerned at how that shit show was handled. 

a) should have never skipped AAA

b) should have never been returned to that skipped AAA after just a handful of ABs here.  

Harrison, Leury, or the dumbass AAAA OF guy should have been launched to the moon first. 

 

 

Yes it sucks to get your time toward FA started and to get that MLB check and per diem.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Is there any actual evidence of a "temper tantrum" other than a screenshotted post from "southside.sox_"?

That's fair.  I will add the caveat, if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wonders why he can't play for a sucko team like the Sox. Good point. 

With Sheets, Vaughn, and Leury covering the outfield, where is he gonna play?  Maybe if he converts to 1B, the Sox will call him up and stick him in the outfield.

 

Edit:  And no, I'm not advocating calling him up.  It's just in jest at the way the Sox handle their outfield situation.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

With Sheets, Vaughn, and Leury covering the outfield, where is he gonna play?  Maybe if he converts to 1B, the Sox will call him up and stick him in the outfield.

 

Edit:  And no, I'm not advocating calling him up.  It's just in jest at the way the Sox handle their outfield situation.

He might feel he is more worthy. Throw those other guys in the dumpster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Not that he played with Lenyn Sosa, but if I'm a promising minor league player right now for this franchise, I'd be very concerned at how that shit show was handled. 

a) should have never skipped AAA

b) should have never been returned to that skipped AAA after just a handful of ABs here.  

Harrison, Leury, or the dumbass AAAA OF guy should have been launched to the moon first. 

 

 

Frank Thomas skipped AAA. All that matters is if a guy can play if called up. Sosa never really had a chance.

Colas should be encouraged if players in the org can skip AAA. OTOH, if Colas is friends with Yolbert…..That conversation between them might be negative if they feel stuck

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes it sucks to get your time toward FA started and to get that MLB check and per diem.

Yeah, I'm sure Sosa took solace to that idea.  Give me a break. 

Anyone who makes it to the show never wants to get sent down, especially unfairly when the guys they decided to keep just flat out suck. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be a mis-translation?  We must have someone here who speaks / reads Spanish, no?

If not, WTF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope this doesn't hurt his trajectory of being an MLB DH....we need more.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Could it be a mis-translation?  We must have someone here who speaks / reads Spanish, no?

If not, WTF.

THe first two words are really only used in the Cuban spanish dialect. I translated those via a search, but the last half about "my soul hurts" I know is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

THe first two words are really only used in the Cuban spanish dialect. I translated those via a search, but the last half about "my soul hurts" I know is correct.

How is his hamstring though??

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Not that he played with Lenyn Sosa, but if I'm a promising minor league player right now for this franchise, I'd be very concerned at how that shit show was handled. 

a) should have never skipped AAA

b) should have never been returned to that skipped AAA after just a handful of ABs here.  

Harrison, Leury, or the dumbass AAAA OF guy should have been launched to the moon first. 

 

 

I think if I was a prospect I’d be excited at the thought the org I play for isn’t scared of aggressive promotions to the big leagues. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What next, a return to Japan and reuniting with Viciedo?

For what it's worth, major league teams do a terrible job supporting their Latin American players once they reach the US.

I worked for the Pirates and was basically responsible for finding them housing (since I spoke Spanish well enough), even ordering at McDonald's, rides back and forth...negotiating leases.

Can't even imagine dealing with mental health issues for modern athletes.  Then finding someone qualified in Spanish in that area in places like Augusta, Bristol, Winston-Salem, Kannapolis, etc.

They would support first round draft picks and bonus babies, but most of those were "American" kids who were already fluent in English.

Plus the Cuban kids don't have those MLB academies to support them with English and life skills/finance.

Plus baseball in Japan is all about performance, and most Hispanic players feel culturally isolated or alienated there if they don't speak the language.

Colas really hasn't had a reliable home environment for three years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think if I was a prospect I’d be excited at the thought the org I play for isn’t scared of aggressive promotions to the big leagues. 

If the players are actually ready to contribute...and well prepared by their coaches.

When's the last time that we nurtured a position player prospect for 3-5 years and then he successfully contributed to the Sox?

Tim Anderson?  Semien and Escobar didn't excel in Chicago.  All the prospects like Moncada or Jimenez were just a year or less from the big leagues.

Montgomery and Kath are the real case studies about really pulling this whole development thing off.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I actually think it's true. He did miss time earlier for an unknown reason. Maybe he should be reminded that an average American after 30 years of work can't even save anything close to the amount of money he already has at 23 yrs. old . His talent is a gift and will reap many benefits with the right attitude. That said depression will warp your thoughts.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tray said:

Sox will reach out to Colas and take care of him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I actually think it's true. He did miss time earlier for an unknown reason. Maybe he should be reminded that an average American after 30 years of work can't even save anything close to the amount of money he already has at 23 yrs. old . His talent is a gift and will reap many benefits with the right attitude. That said depression will warp your thoughts.

Well, how much speculation has there been about what early riches have done to Yoan/Luis/Eloy?

I watched it destroy Puig's career...there are so so many distractions for kids coming from poverty-stricken environments.  Yoenis Cespedes with all of his luxury cars was one of the big role models, the opposite of Abreu in so many ways.

That's why Jose Ramirez is so great now...he was always underestimated and had to fight tooth and nail for everything he got.  He got the big extension and is even better this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×