Shane Riordan's interview with Rick Hahn

South Side Hit Men

Listening to this and am full of regret.  Guys like this get these interviews because they play nice at their regular jobs.  They never ask the tough questions, they never push on the BS narratives, and they never follow up to the ridiculous stuff we get fed.

Now he get the gift of hanging out with Rick Hahn for a half hour.

I shouldn't have wasted my time.  The toughest questions in here should have been asked years ago, but again, they didn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Listening to this and am full of regret.  Guys like this get these interviews because they play nice at their regular jobs.  They never ask the tough questions, they never push on the BS narratives, and they never follow up to the ridiculous stuff we get fed.

I shouldn't have wasted my time.  The toughest questions in here should have been asked years ago, but again, they didn't.

Yeah, problem is if you grill him you’re never going to get the opportunity again. But I agree. 

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think it's in the realm of dreamland if you believe Shane was going to do this podcast and grill him as if he has zero obligations to his employers.  It's nice to think that every media guy should be a person who asks every hard question that us fans think should be asked, but the reality is that they can't operate at 100 percent no bullshit like that. 

which questions would you ask that you feel Shane failed at asking?

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think it's in the realm of dreamland if you believe Shane was going to do this podcast and grill him as if he has zero obligations to his employers.  It's nice to think that every media guy should be a person who asks every hard question that us fans think should be asked, but the reality is that they can't operate at 100 percent no bullshit like that. 

There is space between 0 and 100.  Chicago media is about 1.5.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Which questions would you have asked

I mean if you really need this, here is a start

-I would have loved to hear a question asked about the Tony LaRussa hiring process

-The backslide in health the last few years

-Wes Helms/Omar Vizquel and that whole thing has never been answered for publicly.

-How much influence Tony has on acquisitions

-What is the status of Tony's future with this organization after two underperforming seasons in our "window" that Rick used to talk about

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Actually, sports media members could absolutely chose to not be the sports PR wing; there are media members who have great access and sources who light up teams, the game and leaders. They haven't lost access or anything. 

People in local sports media merely work in PR for the local organizations most times. Acting like it's reasonable to not put pressure on an organization in the name of "access" means ones certainly not a sports journalist. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

-I would have loved to hear a question asked about the Tony LaRussa hiring process

-Wes Helms/Omar Vizquel and that whole thing has never been answered for publicly.

-What is the status of Tony's future with this organization after two underperforming seasons in our "window" that Rick used to talk about

At what point is it fair to question leadership for the product on the field, given how they've clearly underperformed your expectations that you presented to fans at the beginning of the rebuild and during the most recent off-season?

What do you think is the main driving factor, beyond injuries, for the team taking a significant step backwards this season; where has all the power gone?

Do you believe that there needs to be some accountability for anyone in leadership for how things are unfolding?

Why all of a sudden are players being activated and on the 26 man roster who are incapable of hustling without injuring themselves? Why rush unhealthy players back and risk reinjuring them?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Which questions would you have asked

Why haven't you made any moves to improve the current team?

Was it this medical staff that advised you not to offer Carlos Rodon the QO?

Why do you continue to misevaluate the free agent market?

Why didn't you add an impact LHH?

Why didn't you upgrade RF?

Why didn't you upgrade the starting rotation?

Why didn't you upgrade the defense?

Why didn't you add more team depth?

Why did you put so much money in the bullpen?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

19 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

I almost feel bad for Hahn that he's had TLR forced on him. I bet TLR goes to the front office after leaving the dugout too.

Hahn should have never fired Rick Renteria though.

I never had an issue with that.  No one else seems interested in him.

Rare the Sox hire experienced managers and they ruin that. No more former Sox retreads either.

If they ditched Tony the replacement will be from within and nothing will change.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why do we continue to overpay for the bullpen while neglecting the outfield and 2B. 

Why are we never in on any big trades or able to reel in the big young fish types similar to the Chicago Bulls? 

How do we plan on getting back into championship contention? 

Why are fans talked down to for being rightfully upset right now? 

Why does it take forever to make intelligent changes to the lineup and roster? 

Why is the hitting coach still here?

Why is the training staff still here?

Why is our farm system dead last?

Hahn, why haven't you addressed the fans and avoid tough questions?

What happens if this team misses the post season? 

And of course many others. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Anyone going to ask Rick Hahn why Jerry Reinsdorf is going to pay Zach Lavine $250M tomorrow but act like he (Jerry) and the White Sox are broke and can't DFA Leury Garcia because $16M is so expensive. 

Well, for starters, the teams have two separate budgets and as far as I'm aware Jerry doesn't 100% own either team (hence "The Chairman" moniker).

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Actually, sports media members could absolutely chose to not be the sports PR wing; there are media members who have great access and sources who light up teams, the game and leaders. They haven't lost access or anything. 

People in local sports media merely work in PR for the local organizations most times. Acting like it's reasonable to not put pressure on an organization in the name of "access" means ones certainly not a sports journalist. 

Man, Joe Cowley was moved off of the white Sox beat and they almost completely iced him out.  I don't even like the guy because of his manufactured drama but he had to get in with the guillen kids for anyone to even tell him anything 

and not all sports media members are the same, if shit goes sideways with Josh Nelson, then he never gets to interview Hahn again oh well.  Shit goes sideways with Shane and the Sox could totally pull access from the station for however long they want.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man, Joe Cowley was moved off of the white Sox beat and they almost completely iced him out.  I don't even like the guy because of his manufactured drama but he had to get in with the guillen kids for anyone to even tell him anything 

and not all sports media members are the same, if shit goes sideways with Josh Nelson, then he never gets to interview Hahn again oh well.  Shit goes sideways with Shane and the Sox could totally pull access from the station for however long they want.  

Hence lies the problem.  This isn't a problem in places like New York, Boston, and Philly, as the media as a whole is will to ask tough questions.  And since you can't ice out everyone, it is effective.  When the media as a whole is cowards in a market, it doesn't work.  In Chicago, they are lapdogs who are afraid to break from the back, making it easy to punish anyone who strays.

It is the number 1 reason we never get anything tough asked or answered.

3 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

That's besides the point. 

No, that's the entire point.

The NBA salary structures are a Byzantine maze that necessitate teams hiring capologists to help facilitate transactions.

The Sox also have the seventh highest payroll in baseball, so they're spending money, they're just spending it real fucking poorly. A better question would be "why did you spend money on Leury and Harrison when you could have just signed Escobar and played Mendick on the MLB roster from the start?" Right now on RealGM you have Bulls fans upset that Dallas Keuchel's DFA might hurt the Bulls free agency dreams but they don't correlate.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hence lies the problem.  This isn't a problem in places like New York, Boston, and Philly, as the media as a whole is will to ask tough questions.  And since you can't ice out everyone, it is effective.  When the media as a whole is cowards in a market, it doesn't work.  In Chicago, they are lapdogs who are afraid to break from the back, making it easy to punish anyone who strays.

It is the number 1 reason we never get anything tough asked or answered.

Wait so in New York and Boston and LA the general managers are asked the toughest questions like the ones you want to hear and offer unfettered access?

i think it operates the same everywhere you are just pissed about it here.  

19 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Anyone going to ask Rick Hahn why Jerry Reinsdorf is going to pay Zach Lavine $250M tomorrow but act like he (Jerry) and the White Sox are broke and can't DFA Leury Garcia because $16M is so expensive. 

Not defending Jerry at all. I would just point out basketball and baseball contract and salary cap structures are much different.

Max contracts in the NBA are not an indication of the owner's willingness to spend. 

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Not defending Jerry at all. I would just point out basketball and baseball contract and salary cap structures are much different.

Max contracts in the NBA are not an indication of the owner's willingness to spend. 

It's not even worth discussing, those two things do not overlap