Report: USC and UCLA to B1G

logistically, these seems insane. I wonder if divisions grow so large and we just see every big market state school become Big 10 or SEC, but there are 3-4 divisions each, and those conference championships may as well be the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is crazy.  Pac 10 / 12 whatever it is is going to have to pivot and join somewhere else without the two LA based teams - this is going to create real chaos if it ends up happening.  

My guess is that the top programs in the PAC 12, Big 12, ACC merge to form a third superconference.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is third hand information, so take it for what it's worth. My uncle went to ND and has a friend who works on campus at the athletic facilities. What my uncle's friend has heard is that ND wants a guarantee from the BIG that they will alternate playing at USC/UCLA every Thanksgiving weekend, and limits on the number of noon and evening kickoffs. Unsure how the BIG would react to that. Another factor is the ACC's ability to keep Clemson and FSU, and possibly add a couple Big 12 teams.

Stanford - SF Mrkt
Washington - Seattle Mrkt

Oregon - Rest of Pacific NW and Nike tie in

ND - Last of the Midwest Bluebloods; Balances B1G

That would be 20.

The other more obvious targets would/could be Cal Berkeley, UNC, UVA and possibly University of Miami.

https://sports.yahoo.com/whats-next-for-big-ten-college-football-after-seismic-power-grab-221423872.html

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Stanford - SF Mrkt
Washington - Seattle Mrkt

Oregon - Rest of Pacific NW and Nike tie in

ND - Last of the Midwest Bluebloods; Balances B1G

That would be 20.

The other more obvious targets would/could be Cal Berkeley, UNC, UVA and possibly University of Miami.

https://sports.yahoo.com/whats-next-for-big-ten-college-football-after-seismic-power-grab-221423872.html

If luring ND is a priority for the BIG, getting Miami and/or FSU would help. ND being in a conference that plays in both Cali and Florida would be hard to resist.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-12-could-become-third-185225356.html

AZ ASU Utah Colorado speculated to Big 12.

What will happen to WSU Oregon State, Cal Berkeley??...really going to mess up NCAA baseball, although that's obviously not a revenue driver.

Assuming Wash ORE Stanford and ND eventually to Big 10.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Texsox said:

What's the end game? Once there are more teams than available dates it's what? 

Do we have the top twenty teams in one conference, the next twenty in another? 

Where I think things end up, though it may take a few years:

BIG and SEC each add two more teams to get to 18.

Top 16-18 teams left from PAC, Big 12, ACC merge to form one conference

A few weeks ago I thought ND would end up in BIG, but now I think they stay independent. The SEC knows that ND is never joining them, and it's in their best interests to not have ND join the BIG, so I think a scheduling deal gets worked out where some of ND's yearly ACC games get switched to SEC games.

Could we reach a point where the majority of the top 40 to 50 universities are aligned under one conference structure and they basically create their own rules to maximize revenue and freeze out lesser schools?

57 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Could we reach a point where the majority of the top 40 to 50 universities are aligned under one conference structure and they basically create their own rules to maximize revenue and freeze out lesser schools?

I can see the the current FBS splitting into two, with the top 50 or so being in that split. I don't see that many teams ever formally organizing into a single conference. I think 16-18 is about the upper limit for a conference, because once you get bigger than that schools like Mississippi and Iowa start losing too many games against schools like Alabama and Michigan and you need the Mississippis and Iowas of the world to be on board.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I can see the the current FBS splitting into two, with the top 50 or so being in that split. I don't see that many teams ever formally organizing into a single conference. I think 16-18 is about the upper limit for a conference, because once you get bigger than that schools like Mississippi and Iowa start losing too many games against schools like Alabama and Michigan and you need the Mississippis and Iowas of the world to be on board.

Everyone is formally organized within the NCAA. I'm thinking along the lines of almost a mutiny.  

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Everyone is formally organized within the NCAA. I'm thinking along the lines of almost a mutiny.  

They might threaten a mutiny, but the NCAA will eventually give the top schools what they want within the framework of the NCAA so they can keep getting a cut of the money.

• 2 weeks later...