Sox at San Fran 7/2/22 game thread I left my manager in San Francisco

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Weird how the Rays can build a great bullpen every year without having a set closer or guys who previously had closing experience

And then suffer but weather 3-5 injuries...should do like some teams are doing and draft only pitchers. Maybe it was CLE recently.

Edited by caulfield12

Nice win again. Congrats Tony and the Sox on winning this series.

On the glass half full side of things ... as lousy as the Sox hitters have been, there is 'still' a pitching rotation on paper that conceivably could lead this team to a division title. Yes I'd like the starters to go deeper, but the starters for the most part are 'contender' quality.

I personally think the bullpen blows but Kelly and Graveman and today's lefty sometimes are acceptable to decent. And our closer is good when he gets back.

What I'm saying is, pitching and defense (I realize we suck on defense) as it always does could dictate whether the Sox decide to play well enuf to 'contend.' ... And of course the team has to start competing better in divisional games.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's gong to be a free agent and probably won't command $10M a year . Maybe as a last resort you sign him next year. But let's see what the Sox do at the trade deadline this year.

I just don’t see a ton of options that are any better.  And at this point, I’m like to hang on our top prospects and hope for some Braves like magic with Gallo.

17 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It depends if you think Gallo is actually a bad hitter or just in a really bad slump for whatever reason. Projection systems view Gallo & Pollock similarly as hitters, but I would rather bet on Gallo because most 28 year olds with a track record of good production don't usually fall of a cliff. My guess is that if the Sox acquired him, he would hit well, but who knows.

I think he's a bad hitter and has been for a while. I liked him because of his track record when he was available but the track record the last few years has sucked.

Speculating it's just a NY thing isn't a thing I'd rely on. I'd take a deeper dive into what his speed is now compared to then and some other things about his bat.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see a ton of options that are any better.  And at this point, I’m like to hang on our top prospects and hope for some Braves like magic with Gallo.

A better option than what ,a 0 WAR guy ? There are options better than that. If someone wants to pay him $5M in the off season to see if he can regain whatever he lost go for it. If you want to hold onto prospects ,trade veterans but I wouldn't necessarily want Gallo in return. Hahn tried the trading no prospects in the off season. That hasn't worked out too well and now we're stuck with terrible health and injuries to guys the Sox thought would be worth a lot more than they are.

40 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We could be 3.5 back if Jorge Lopez didn't turn into a pumpkin. That guy looked like Mariano Rivera against us and can barely get anyone out against the Twins. 

or if the sox took care of business against a shitty opponent instead of losing 3/4 to balt?

• Like 1