Joe Kelly couldn't pitch back-to-back before 7/1

CentralChamps21

https://twitter.com/JamesFox917/status/1543606480649207814?s=20&t=yM_M54cO5KoYmLuPCXRdwA

On @HitAndRun670
this morning, @MattSpiegel670
reported that Joe Kelly’s contract stated that he couldn’t pitch back to back games until July 1. Yesterday was his first back to back appearance of the season. #WhiteSox

• Haha 2

It makes sense due to his injury. However I don't think I've ever heard of it put into a contract. I wonder if it changes due to his additional IL stint.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So LaRussa was literally prohibited from using Kelly because of language Hahn wrote in his contract.  I wonder how many file cabinets LaRussa punched because of that stupid decision.  LOL

Given that TLR seemingly has massive input in personnel decisions, I'm guessing he OK's this before Kelly signed.

There were a dozen+ relievers available this off-season who were indistinguishable from Joe Kelly, so of course they signed the one who was inured, required multiple years to sign, and wouldn't be able to pitch consecutive days for the first 3 months of the season. This franchise is so dumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There were a dozen+ relievers available this off-season who were indistinguishable from Joe Kelly, so of course they signed the one who was inured, required multiple years to sign, and wouldn't be able to pitch consecutive days for the first 3 months of the season. This franchise is so dumb.

Worst franchise in baseball. Perhaps in all of sports. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There were a lot of relievers with a .98 WHIP and 3+ K/Bb ratio?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There were a lot of relievers with a .98 WHIP and 3+ K/Bb ratio?

If you think that was sustainable for him, sure. But reliever performance is volatile for anyone, particularly guys who aren't strikeout monsters. Well run franchises should be able to find mid 3s ERA relievers (which is where all of the projection systems have him) in their system or on 1 year deals.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

If you think that was sustainable for him, sure. But reliever performance is volatile for anyone, particularly guys who aren't strikeout monsters. Well run franchises should be able to find mid 3s ERA relievers (which is where all of the projection systems have him) in their system or on 1 year deals.

Maybe but ERA is very volatile as you say. I would look more at the WHIP and K or K rate when signing a reliever. Thise tend to be more consistent and indicative of performance.  Although they still vary as you said.

I'm wondering what Kelly gave up for that clause. $500,000? $1,000,000? 

But we signed him. Good franchises have their pick of quality players. They are everywhere, you just have to pick one. The easiest job anywhere is being a GM for a baseball team. 

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Given that TLR seemingly has massive input in personnel decisions, I'm guessing he OK's this before Kelly signed.

Also, wasn’t Kelly basically a TLR decision? Like, TLR was the one who essentially recruited him to come? 

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Does he really or is he just the new scapegoat for teflon Hahn's many mistakes.  If nothing else Kenny Williams can remove "Organiztion Boogeyman" from his business card.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Does he really or is he just the new scapegoat for teflon Hahn's many mistakes.  If nothing else Kenny Williams can remove "Organiztion Boogeyman" from his business card.  

Something more insidious probably happened. It was an organization decision. Not the blame of a single person without the input from others.

Wait a minute, they signed him for two years $17M? He's 34 and has a 7.71 ERA with this ridiculous contract stipulation.

I'm calling Illinois Adult Protective Services when they reopen on Tuesday, and requesting an elder abuse check on Jerry Reinsdorf. There is no telling what drugs they slipped him to sign off on several deals the past two seasons, including this jackass deal.