The 8-5 Triple Play…

caulfield12

24 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Im really close to taking a sox fandom hiatus until Jerry dies/sells and the team. Hopefully we get a good owner who spends money on decent coaching throughout the farm and at the big league level.

I cant take it anymore, the triple play is just the icing on the cake for how bad this team is and im tired of the nightly embarassments. 

I’m trying to enjoy what little I can, completely emotionally detached and with zero expectation that they ever win anything again.  Being a fan for 30+ years is hard to quit and I mostly tune in because I love Jason on the call, but I find myself watching far more non-Sox baseball than ever before. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This was mentioned in the GT, but if Tony pinch runs Engel for Sheets right away Engel is at 3B on Yoan's single and none of this happens and Sox win game 3-2, at least.  

Can’t overlook the errors preceding the historic blunder. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Can’t overlook the errors preceding the historic blunder. 

It doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you’re gonna pinch run him after Yoans single, why not beforehand? TLR makes so many small mistakes throughout a game that just pile up. 

• Like 1

I wonder a bit if McEwings insanely terrible and aggressive sends on home plays into this too, where our baserunners get more aggressive in the beginning knowing they'll be sent on anything close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I wonder a bit if McEwings insanely terrible and aggressive sends on home plays into this too, where our baserunners get more aggressive in the beginning knowing they'll be sent on anything close.

Outside of Katz I want a clearing house so badly.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I want them all gone. I'm not convinced Katz is really all that great either. 

Cease, Kopech, Rodon, Lynn all thrived. I'm not panicking over Giolito's return from injury and COVID, especially after his last two starts and two seasons where he got Cy Young votes.

We've been over Keuchel falling apart with the sticky stuff ban.

With the training staff being a dumpster fire, I'm not holding the rotating door of the bullpen against him, but Lopez's reinvention is amazing. And getting sub-4 ERAs out of Lambert and Banks is impressive.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you’re gonna pinch run him after Yoans single, why not beforehand? TLR makes so many small mistakes throughout a game that just pile up. 

It's amazing that a team that was suppose to beat the crap out of other teams offensively is left to micro-managing moves to try to salvage games. 

It wasn't suppose to be this way and here we are where the managing corpse matters to daily game results. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's amazing that a team that was suppose to beat the crap out of other teams offensively is left to micro-managing moves to try to salvage games. 

It wasn't suppose to be this way and here we are where the managing corpse matters to daily game results. 

You can tell this team feeds off energy, just like they did under Ricky. When they get a couple runs - boom, floodgates. Especially homers.

But when they can't get those going, it feels insurmountable.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

This was mentioned in the GT, but if Tony pinch runs Engel for Sheets right away Engel is at 3B on Yoan's single and none of this happens and Sox win game 3-2, at least.  

I said that and I said that at the game and the guy in front of me turned around after the triple play and said, they should be winning.

There is a base running flaw in their system.  The Mendick tag up earlier for the third out at second before McGuire scored and then Moncada yesterday.  There is some failing philosophy there.

They are a bad fundamental team and they exasperate the situation with philosophies that do not match. their stupidity.

I liked the Engel steal but it did not work out.  At the game there was no evidence shown that it should have been over turned.

What I think we are seeing more this year as the TLR wants a style of play and the organization is not built for this style of play. 

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Yeah, I mean I guess that's what happens when 60%+ your lineup is or has been hurt and/or having career worst years.

But Tony gives away so much on the margins that frankly this team just has no room for with how they've played.  The move I am referring to is pretty small and  frankly I missed it live, but it was highly likely the difference between a win and a loss.   

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I said that and I said that at the game and the guy in front of me turned around after the triple play and said, they should be winning.

There is a base running flaw in their system.  The Mendick tag up earlier for the third out at second before McGuire scored and then Moncada yesterday.  There is some failing philosophy there.

They are a bad fundamental team and they exasperate the situation with philosophies that do not match. their stupidity.

I liked the Engel steal but it did not work out.  At the game there was no evidence shown that it should have been over turned.

What I think we are seeing more this year as the TLR wants a style of play and the organization is not built for this style of play. 

He was out.  He beat the throw but his leg was curled up under him instead of extended.  A headfirst slide and he was safe easily.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'll defend tlr here because this was the right move. You're putting him in primarily in for defense, which only makes sense with a lead. 1st base no outs there's no guarantee of a lead even with a quicker runner. You want the bigger bat still in the lineup. 2nd base no outs the expectation is now that that runner will score so you take the better speed now with the defense later. Of course then something historically unprecedented blows that all up.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'll defend tlr here because this was the right move. You're putting him in primarily in for defense, which only makes sense with a lead. 1st base no outs there's no guarantee of a lead even with a quicker runner. You want the bigger bat still in the lineup. 2nd base no outs the expectation is now that that runner will score so you take the better speed now with the defense later. Of course then something historically unprecedented blows that all up.

I don't think we'll be seeing Gavin Sheets play full games in RF now that Engel is back, so not sure I agree here.  Engel was likely coming into the game regardless.  

There is no excuse for this level of dumb baserunning.   If these were 10-year-olds I might understand, but these are pros who have played baseball since they were children.  If the ball gets caught you need to return to the previous bag to tag.  It's been that way since the dawn of time.  

22 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

There is no excuse for this level of dumb baserunning.   If these were 10-year-olds I might understand, but these are pros who have played baseball since they were children.  If the ball gets caught you need to return to the previous bag to tag.  It's been that way since the dawn of time.  

I think everybody is playing really tight and making dumb mental mistakes. That's on the manager and clubhouse leaders, but mostly on the manager. You have Moncada busting ass (for once) thinking he's going to score on a ball off the wall and then you have engel neglecting 30 years of baseball instincts to...I have no idea what he was doing. He should have been on the base the entire time regardless of what Moncada was doing.

I was there for the 1959 World Series, so I have seen a lot! But this team, coaches, management and ownership takes the cake! From top to bottom they appear to be disorganized, unwilling to admit mistakes and make the necessary changes! Do they care? If so, do something!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2Deep said:

This play was absolutely baffling to me. How 2 MLB baseball players can't figure out that the ball was caught and they need to tag up.

I honestly think Moncada thought there was 2 outs because he put his head down and ran even before Buxton was near the ball.

I can't understand what Engel was doing. He clearly seem to know it was not 2 outs, was by the bag and still did not tag up.

JUST STUPID!!!!!

I think this is it.  And it affected Engel, too, effectively forcing him to run when he normally wouldn’t.  I think seeing Moncada barreling toward him probably injected just a bit of additional doubt into Engel that led to the strange outcome.