Rick Hahn - Mastermind of Failure

Harry Chappas

2 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Hahn’s biggest accomplishments which anyone with eyesight could’ve done:

-Asked for team’s best prospects for Chris Sale

-Identified that Luis Robert is good at baseball 

-Asked for team‘s best prospects for Quintana

Asked for team’s best pitching prospects for Adam Eaton

The interesting aspect is both those Sox players went on to be important contributors on World Series-winning teams. 

13 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am all for firing Tony LaRussa but is this roster and organization really set up to win multiple championships?   Tony is a failure but is he the only one? 

I view this organization as floundering.  They hit on enough prospects to stay afloat because they play in the worst division in baseball.

The fact that this organization cannot succeed in the AL Central is embarrassing.  There is no large revenue team in this division yet the White Sox struggle to win 82 games in this division.  The Indians and Twins are organizations that will do enough to succeed more times than not and the Royals and Tigers will have decent years.  The White Sox could be the worst run of the five. 

Maybe Hahn did win the three big rebuild trades and if so, great, but he has done nothing to build upon that.  He handed out contracts to unproven players that now look like terrible deals.  He built  a roster that has flaws and then placed a coaching staff around them that exasperated these flaws. 

Maybe Williams and JR are still running things and Hahn is just the mouthpiece.  If so, nothing is changing.  Maybe TLR is calling more shots in regard to player signings than we thought and if so makes Hahn even more irrelevant.

Sadly I don't see anything changing.  The carrot remains out there.  I renewed a 20 game plan and after SF I began chasing it again.  Now I foolishly walk away with it swinging on the stick for another week or two when I maybe think about them again.

I personally watched Tanner Banks blow a huge lead earlier this season and if that was not bad enough I the first ever 8-5 triple play. All while watching a singles offense try and generate runs without walking or hitting any extra base hits.

This organization is a shit show.   

But he injuries yes the injuries.  They will happen and happen again the players they have invested in are injury prone.  Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Kopech and Anderson.

Maybe Abreu has realized this and that is why he is ready to leave.  Maybe he looks at this team and realized it is floundering and while he busts his ass day in and day, half the roster is told to take it easy and not really try to hard because you are injury prone.

What an epic failure. 

Exacerbated.  “Exasperated” is what I am when you keep writing “exasperated” when you mean “exacerbated.”  Thank you, carry on.

21 hours ago, WBWSF said:

1) I wrote JR a few letters in the past requesting to be interviewed for the GM job. I never heard back from him. Perhaps I should write him another letter. 2) Assuming this team doesn't get into the playoffs this year this off season could get very interesting. From what I can see you could probably get a good return for the following players: Anderson, Vaughn, Robert, Cease and Hendriks.  I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Anderson.

"Dear Jerry...

My many years of playing MLB The Show and beating 12 year olds across he country with my sick ass team proved I am what the White Sox need.
How many Diamond cards does the team currently own that we can use?..."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

"Dear Jerry...

My many years of playing MLB The Show and beating 12 year olds across he country with my sick ass team proved I am what the White Sox need.
How many Diamond cards does the team currently own that we can use?..."

Because White Sox fans love rebuilds, especially when they think they can catch the team in front of them.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

* Flipped to MLBPIpeline.com and traded for the highest rated prospects from 7 months prior.  

* Outbid the universe for a mega prospect (Props probably belong to [gasp] Jerry)

* Flipped to MLBPipeline and traded for the highest rated prospects from 11 months prior.  

Cease and maybe Reynaldo had "arrows up" next to their name when acquired.  Giolito, Kopech, Eloy, Rutherford all were trending down when Rick traded for them. 

Hahn's greatest failure in the post Shields era was the lack of diamonds in the rough produced through 3+ years of open opportunity at the major league and AAA level. 

Aaron Bummer's extension his best move?  Maybe jumping the market for Grandal?  Neither move looking as strong these days.

Honestly, with how weak the Central has been, and how much the club HAS spent, I believe the Hahn era has been an absolute failure. I grade it a D+ and it appears we are going to find ourselves in a very similar position to Dec 2016 where we have two or three positive contracts and a whole lotta meh.  

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

* Flipped to MLBPIpeline.com and traded for the highest rated prospects from 7 months prior.  

* Outbid the universe for a mega prospect (Props probably belong to [gasp] Jerry)

* Flipped to MLBPipeline and traded for the highest rated prospects from 11 months prior.  

Cease and maybe Reynaldo had "arrows up" next to their name when acquired.  Giolito, Kopech, Eloy, Rutherford all were trending down when Rick traded for them. 

Hahn's greatest failure in the post Shields era was the lack of diamonds in the rough produced through 3+ years of open opportunity at the major league and AAA level. 

Aaron Bummer's extension his best move?  Maybe jumping the market for Grandal?  Neither move looking as strong these days.

Honestly, with how weak the Central has been, and how much the club HAS spent, I believe the Hahn era has been an absolute failure. I grade it a D+ and it appears we are going to find ourselves in a very similar position to Dec 2016 where we have two or three positive contracts and a whole lotta meh.  

Probably Narvaez, McCann, Rodon 2021 (obviously not the offseason plan), Graveman and Cueto.

That’s the extent of good/solid moves.

We need to be producing a lot more players ages 22-26 like the Twins.  Seems Arraez has been around forever, but he’s younger than you imagine. See Larnach, Kirilloff, Gordon, Royce Lewis, Celestino, Jeffers, Miranda, etc.  

We just have Vaughn and Sheets from the last couple of seasons added to the current youth mix.  And Zavala contributing now, although he’s been on the 40 man for ages.

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably Narvaez, McCann, Rodon 2021 (obviously not the offseason plan), Graveman and Cueto.

He traded Narvaez for a reliever who was on close to a market rate contract, during free agency when there were dozens of available relievers.  Felt like a pretty big wash despite Colome having a babip lucky charm in his pocket.  

McCann was a bullseye, and definitely one of (if not the only) diamonds that he found because of all of the available opportunity here. 

But, I can't give Hahn an ounce of credit for anything surrounding Rodon.  It appeared we let him essentially have borderline exploratory surgery not once but twice during his team control years after struggling with a dip in velo for two different extended periods, yet he always seemed unhappy with the organization.  His usage in the wildcard game vs Oakland was bizarre, ill-advised and likely came from the front office and finally, whatever happened this offseason was inexplicable.  

Grading Graveman's three year deal 1/6th of the way through seems ill-advised.  Cueto obviously has been an amazing addition.  

Edited by GREEDY

On 7/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, at this point, a completely different perspective can't hurt.  Would be interesting to see a whole new regime come in that isn't particularly tied to any of these players and what they would do.  

That said, totally understand the concern that JR would fuck this up too. 

Reinsdorf is fond of kicking failed management up the ladder.

TLR - president of baseball operations.

Let that one marinade.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, mmmmmbeeer said:

I don't think we can really evaluate Hahn's performance without knowing how much pull he/TLR actually have.  

Do I think Rick wanted to resign Leury?  No.

Do I think Rick wanted to spend his budget on the bullpen?  No.

Do I think Rick wants Sosa in the minors right now so we can watch Leury?  No.

There are just too many moves being made this season that clearly show that there's a COMPLETE disconnect between the FO and TLR, Sosa's short stint being example 1A.  Tony loves a bullpen, thus the bullpen pieces.  Tony loves Leury, thus the Leury signing.  Tony pus handedness above all else, thus Gavin, Leury, and Reese taking starts away from guys like Pollock, Vaughn, and Harrison.

All that said, if Hahn has truly been relegated to nothing more than a puppet GM, he should quit.  The fact he remains implies he either has a direct hand in this decisions or he thinks he'll outlast TLR

He's a highly educated man who would do well elsewhere in the private sector.

But sports management just ain't it. 

Edited by GradMc

On 7/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, NCsoxfan said:

The extensions signed by Sale, Quintana, and Eaton had a major role in their returns as well.  We need to remember some of the good stuff.  

On 7/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

Definitely missing the playoffs and a losing season as you suggested would definitely help. However the biggest factor that would wake up JR for him to make a FO and manager change is to experience a lack of fan support and attendance! A strong and loud message from the fans where the in-park attendance drops off dramatically! It would be poetic justice for the fans to let JR see under 10K or even better 5K in the park! Can you imagine the embarrassment of only 5K fans on a Saturday and Sunday weekend? Let him feel it on his bottom line, when the sales in the park for food, drink, alcohol and merchandise are all affected drastically, not to mention the horrible empty park look! I realize this probably won't happen, based on the fierce loyal fans...but it should happen! This is the only guaranteed way to affect major change. The fans must make this arrogant and clueless owner lose money and feel it on his bottom line profit. It's either this, JR passes away, or one of the sons takes over the team and has full control. 

It worked on the West Side to a degree. 

When the Bulls go over the luxury tax like every team above them, that will signal a changing of the guard.

JR got tired of the NBA.

He's lost in the 50's.

Not tired of the money though. 

The Bulls are a cash cow.

6 hours ago, GREEDY said:

He traded Narvaez for a reliever who was on close to a market rate contract, during free agency when there were dozens of available relievers.  Felt like a pretty big wash despite Colome having a babip lucky charm in his pocket.  

Narvaez was  a major league caliber catcher, on the improve, with multiple years remaining on his contract.  He was traded for a 2 year closer.  Colome was good, but they didn't need good then.  That was another short-sighted move.
Hahn's great moves were  Eaton #2, Quintana, Eaton #1 (my personal favorite, the nature of which I wish he would repeat).  His contract extensions were good and the Sale trade was fine.  A couple of the FAs were good.
But that's about it.  And the list of bad moves is lengthy.    He even signed 1 guy and traded for another who just quit baseball before their contracts were up.  Friends of Machado.  Napping during in July during the rebuilding years.  On it goes.

Edited by GreenSox

At the end of the day, Hahn has failed to fill out the Sox’s main needs which are a quality LH outfielder and a good 2 nd baseman, as well as a lefty slugger.  We have a power outage until yesterdays game with Eloy back. He also hired one of the worst coaching and training staffs in MLB.  He joins other Chicago bad GMs like the one who traded away the house for Mitch Trubistky, and all the bad moves by the Hawks, including todays bad trade of Alex De Brincat for three draft picks, only one in the first round.  Didn’t get back any proven player and parted with our best player.  This trade has been criticized by the experts.  eSPN gave the Hawks  a D and the Senators an A.  Only explanation is that the Hawks were not going to spend the $ to resign DE Brincat, but they should have negotiated a better deal.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, Harry Chappas said:

I am all for firing Tony LaRussa but is this roster and organization really set up to win multiple championships?   Tony is a failure but is he the only one? 

I view this organization as floundering.  They hit on enough prospects to stay afloat because they play in the worst division in baseball.

The fact that this organization cannot succeed in the AL Central is embarrassing.  There is no large revenue team in this division yet the White Sox struggle to win 82 games in this division.  The Indians and Twins are organizations that will do enough to succeed more times than not and the Royals and Tigers will have decent years.  The White Sox could be the worst run of the five. 

Maybe Hahn did win the three big rebuild trades and if so, great, but he has done nothing to build upon that.  He handed out contracts to unproven players that now look like terrible deals.  He built  a roster that has flaws and then placed a coaching staff around them that exasperated these flaws. 

Maybe Williams and JR are still running things and Hahn is just the mouthpiece.  If so, nothing is changing.  Maybe TLR is calling more shots in regard to player signings than we thought and if so makes Hahn even more irrelevant.

Sadly I don't see anything changing.  The carrot remains out there.  I renewed a 20 game plan and after SF I began chasing it again.  Now I foolishly walk away with it swinging on the stick for another week or two when I maybe think about them again.

I personally watched Tanner Banks blow a huge lead earlier this season and if that was not bad enough I the first ever 8-5 triple play. All while watching a singles offense try and generate runs without walking or hitting any extra base hits.

This organization is a shit show.   

But he injuries yes the injuries.  They will happen and happen again the players they have invested in are injury prone.  Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Kopech and Anderson.

Maybe Abreu has realized this and that is why he is ready to leave.  Maybe he looks at this team and realized it is floundering and while he busts his ass day in and day, half the roster is told to take it easy and not really try to hard because you are injury prone.

What an epic failure. 

It's a baseball team. Spend this energy on something important. The sox/bulls/bears/cubs/hawks any other team aren't it. Why devote this much energy and life space? In the end who cares?

I know I'll get well why are you on a sports forum?

I like reading for the most part things talking about trades, the manager and the team in general. I enjoy the community. 

It's part of a business that only cares about the money you give, you don't need to give a piece of yourself to that. 

• Like 1