White Sox Interested in Mahle/Castillo?

DirtySox

5 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would the Yankees want Pollock? Obviously Gallo has been a disappointment but his upside is for sure higher than Pollock’s if he can turn it around.

Because they may feel he won’t turn it around in NYC.  And let’s not forgot Pollock was a 3 win OF last year, unfortunately his inability to play a quality RF makes him an imperfect fit for us even if he returns to form offensively.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Or like how half this website declared that Kimbrel was untradeable and nobody would take that contract and you for sure wouldn't be getting a player back because there is no GM that dumb 

Then again, we really didn’t get back an actual player because Pollock is at -0.3 fWAR right now.  No GM was dumb enough to think Pollock could competently man RF with that weak ass arm, but he won a Gold Glove in CF for AZ five seasons ago so what the heck could possibly go wrong there?  Probably just went on LaRussa’s vouching for him.  We would have been better off with Luis Gonzalez, Nomar Mazara and Trayce Thompson, even.

Plus, there’s the additional opportunity cost of that lost $9 million that would have gone to Wainright or Molina, lol.

Hardly one to crow about.  I’ll take my predictions on the Twins and Guardians over that.  I said the Twins would get out to a 7-8 game lead, and I was off by just 1/2 game, and that was before they suffered a rash of injuries and then five final inning losses in less than one week to CLE or it would really all be over but the fat lady singing.

Edited by caulfield12

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because they may feel he won’t turn it around in NYC.  And let’s not forgot Pollock was a 3 win OF last year, unfortunately his inability to play a quality RF makes him an imperfect fit for us even if he returns to form offensively.

Gallo has really slipped the last couple of seasons defensively, but he would fit right in.

Plus, his Gold Glove is much more recent than Pollock’s fading in the twilight of his career one.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The player not performing up to his normal levels has nothing to do with it.  Every GM has dumb and smart moments.  

Thanks for the cliche, Nuke Lalaloosh.  Insightful.  With this level of critical thinking from ownership, grandchildren might ending up suffering with him as Sox GM into the late 2030’s/early 2040’s.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thanks for the cliche, Nuke Lalaloosh.  Insightful.  With this level of critical thinking from ownership, grandchildren might ending up suffering with him as Sox GM into the late 2030’s/early 2040’s.

Ok 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then again, we really didn’t get back an actual player because Pollock is at -0.3 fWAR right now.  No GM was dumb enough to think Pollock could competently man RF with that weak ass arm, but he won a Gold Glove in CF for AZ five seasons ago so what the heck could possibly go wrong there?  Probably just went on LaRussa’s vouching for him.  We would have been better off with Luis Gonzalez, Nomar Mazara and Trayce Thompson, even.

Plus, there’s the additional opportunity cost of that lost $9 million that would have gone to Wainright or Molina, lol.

Hardly one to crow about.  I’ll take my predictions on the Twins and Guardians over that.  I said the Twins would get out to a 7-8 game lead, and I was off by just 1/2 game, and that was before they suffered a rash of injuries and then five final inning losses in less than one week to CLE or it would really all be over but the fat lady singing.

Nobody crowed thanks for all the cliches

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nobody crowed thanks for all the cliches

The relief that we got back (seemingly) something of value and his fWAR in 2021 indicated to some that it was one of the better moves under Hahn.

Alas, one more to add to the “well, it looked good on paper moves” whereas the Rays consistently have head scratchers like Meadows for Paredes/Ramirez break just their way.

Scouting/evaluation.  Just do it.

(And at least there was Cueto and Burger to stave off AL Central elimination these last two months.)

Even though it's been a promising year for the system, particularly on the hitting side, I just can't see the Sox being the top bidder for Lowe if he's made available. 28 year olds signed to bargain extensions with his track record of production aren't going to come cheap. I'm not sure if an offer starting with Montgomery + Crochet even really gets them in the conversation.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The relief that we got back (seemingly) something of value and his fWAR in 2021 indicated to some that it was one of the better moves under Hahn.

Alas, one more to add to the “well, it looked good on paper moves” whereas the Rays consistently have head scratchers like Meadows for Paredes/Ramirez break just their way.

Scouting/evaluation.  Just do it.

(And at least there was Cueto and Burger to stave off AL Central elimination these last two months.)

I’ve always wondered why someone would spend so much of their time on a baseball team yet always have this giddiness to them when pointing out their inadequacies. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Even though it's been a promising year for the system, particularly on the hitting side, I just can't see the Sox being the top bidder for Lowe if he's made available. 28 year olds signed to bargain extensions with his track record of production aren't going to come cheap. I'm not sure if an offer starting with Montgomery + Crochet even really gets them in the conversation.

Rays are already paying Glasnow not to pitch.  And they have a seemingly endless supply of high volatility relief pitchers.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gallo has really slipped the last couple of seasons defensively, but he would fit right in.

Plus, his Gold Glove is much more recent than Pollock’s fading in the twilight of his career one.

At least Gallo is a lefty and has a track record.  I prefer him to Pollock.  More power potential. He would not feel as much pressure here than with the Yankees and may work out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’ve always wondered why someone would spend so much of their time on a baseball team yet always have this giddiness to them when pointing out their inadequacies. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  

Because I'm a fan of the name on the front of the jersey.

I loved following the Sox in the 80's even when they were bad, the 90's despite the strike (especially 1990), 2000-2012...but Hahn has been the worst GM of my lifetime, has the worst winning percentage to back it up, and there are scant signs of things getting better.

I can tune out until JR, Hahn or LaRussa are gone...like many have already chosen to do this season, or trudge on.

Most Sox fans consider this team perhaps the most unlikable of their lifetime.

If I was an Angels or Phillies fan, there would at least be a new manager to instill faith and belief.  Sox fans don't even get that, we only get this we know better than everyone else vibe.

I don't understand why this team insults their own fanbase more than any other but the ones in Cincy and Oakland.

7 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

At least Gallo is a lefty and has a track record.  I prefer him to Pollock.  More power potential. He would not feel as much pressure here than with the Yankees and may work out.

Why are the Sox constantly in the running for other team's garbage/castoffs instead of simply finding better players?

It's just sad and pathetic.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Why are the Sox constantly in the running for other team's garbage/castoffs instead of simply finding better players?

It's just sad and pathetic.

Sox won't pay for good players on the open market and don't have the minor leaguers to acquire them via trade. 

11 hours ago, wegner said:

But you know as a long time Cubbie hater, I do love that Len walked away from being the TV guy for the Cubs to go across town to do radio.  That made me chuckle a bit at the time.

Now if we could just get Dave Kaplan to go over to the Marquee network, that would be great.  I accidentally heard that guy on the radio one morning....he is awful and he's on the radio and tv home of the White Sox...that's just wrong.

Steve Stone also left the Cubs TV booth for the Sox radio booth, after some time off. Loved the Farmeo pairing.

I loved Farmeo, also like Len's approach. I liked everyone Ed was paired with as well. Also liked "The Commander" Bob Elson.

Harry Caray / Jimmy Piersall are still my all time favorite announcer duo.

Hawk and Jason are nice people, but not a fan of either of their broadcasts. Dave Kaplan is trash.

• Love 1

On 7/7/2022 at 7:52 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I thought he got 5/100 but it was 4/79. My bad. If I would have said $20M/year I'd have been closer. 

Still, my point about Dunn stands. 

I wouldn’t have given Schwraber $20M a year either. And I have the money