4 teams called Conforto post-draft

South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Back on the field in September… coming in off the shelf… after his worst season…

Hard pass.

I'm presuming a 2-3 year deal. The Sox could use a RF and LHB.

I assume the Sox are not in the Aaron Judge market. The rest of the field is slim pickings in 2023.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/right-field/

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm presuming a 2-3 year deal. The Sox could use a RF and LHB.

I assume the Sox are not in the Aaron Judge market. The rest of the field is slim pickings in 2023.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/right-field/

Gotta get a LH outfielder via trade since we always seem to lose out in FA.

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Agreed. He’s unlikely to contribute anything to the team this season and next season I expect Colas to provide similar production at a far cheaper salary.

He's played 3 games in AA, with a few weeks left in the season. Perhaps he is an in season call up in 2023 if he is promoted and can mash in AAA the first half of the year, but he is not on the Opening Day roster.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So less than we’re already paying Pollock for the next season and a half…

I mean, yeah maybe.  Pollock could still reject his player option.  Unlikely if he doesn't play better the next 2.5 months.  

If Sox were to sign Conforto in the next couple weeks, I think its possible the Sox could "Rios" Pollock and someone desperate for OF would snag him.  

I am assuming Pollock is on the roster next season, and while paying him $12M or whatever isn't ideal, the net cost is $7M because the $5M buyout is guaranteed regardless, and frankly the OF insurance is probably worth having for $7M.  He doesn't even need to be that good to be worth $7M. 

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

There's already so much out of position dead weight in the OF, sure, let's add another guy we're not sure can contribute. 

Easy pass for me.

Not sure how anyone could define a career wRC+ of 136 against RHP as "dead weight" on this club.  

Conforto's bat is, quite literally, exactly what this club needs more of.   You can't really expect much from him this year, but the move is more about taking a step towards solving the god awful offense against RHP in 2023.  For a pillow contract and the chance to contribute in September?  Good $ spent IMO.  Decent chance he turns into a significant asset. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not sure how anyone could define a career wRC+ of 136 against RHP as "dead weight" on this club.  

Conforto's bat is, quite literally, exactly what this club needs more of.   You can't really expect much from him this year, but the move is more about taking a step towards solving the god awful offense against RHP in 2023.  For a pillow contract and the chance to contribute in September?  Good $ spent IMO.  Decent chance he turns into a significant asset. 

Coming off a terrible season and coming off a really bad injury.

Yes, it's dead weight for the rest of the 2022 season and possibly another roster clog (something we are filled with right now). 

Get a legit LH solution  or don't do nothing at all. 

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Coming off a terrible season and coming off a really bad injury.

Yes, it's dead weight for the rest of the 2022 season and possibly another roster clog (something we are filled with right now). 

Get a legit LH solution  or don't do nothing at all. 

Conforto is a legit LH option.  Even in this down season you speak of, he was still 19% above league average against RHP (119 wRC+), which would make him the third most productive hitter against RHP on the 2022 White Sox behind only Abreu (140 wRC+) and AV (128 wRC+).  

The only reason you can get him on the cheap is the down 21 and the injury.  

So yeah, I disagree strongly, and the numbers do as well. 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He's played 3 games in AA, with a few weeks left in the season. Perhaps he is an in season call up in 2023 if he is promoted and can mash in AAA the first half of the year, but he is not on the Opening Day roster.

Never say never. Sox stuck him in A ball and now he's in AA he could mash there for 1.5 months and Sox promote him to AAA for September where he could mash for the rest of the season. Unlikely yes but there's even a chance if he keep mashing continuously that he called up some time in Sept. Early next year seems a real possibility unless he's traded.

If you meant by a "few weeks left in the season" 2 months left in the season, that would be accurate. Birmingham's season ends Sept 18 and Charlotte's ends Sept. 28.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside