If the White Sox trade for Shohei Ohtani they have a chance

caulfield12

On 7/23/2022 at 2:41 AM, Dam8610 said:

It's mind boggling to me that the Angels have quite possibly the 2 best players in baseball and cannot surround them with enough talent to even consistently break .500.

it is exhibit A that a team cannot build through free agency. The additional revenue the white sox make over their division should be plowed in a much more advanced player dev/scouting network, not just puffing our chests and signing a 4th middle reliever.

The returns, they are a-diminishing. But I'm sure trout alone makes the angels look like excellent drafters over the decade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

So many bad FA deals it’s not even funny.  Angels are as bad as the White Sox at team building, except they actually spend $$ on premium FA.  

Angels would be competing for championships, NBA Championships where one or two stars can carry a team.

In baseball, you need lots of quality depth to ride out the inevitable injuries, expected up and down player swings from their career norms. Their farm system and interference by the Owner has been as bad as the Sox, hence they have been as bad as the Sox.

I got a notification from espn or mlb (can’t remember not important) that said which team should add Syndergaard, Ohtani and Iglesias and I’m gonna be totally honest here I believe that the White Sox should do this, I know that might be a controversial thing 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I got a notification from espn or mlb (can’t remember not important) that said which team should add Syndergaard, Ohtani and Iglesias and I’m gonna be totally honest here I believe that the White Sox should do this, I know that might be a controversial thing 

To make it somewhat feasible from a financial perspective, the Sox would have to include a couple MLB players like Giolito and Eloy along with prospects. Can’t see it working from the money side with the Sox sending prospects only.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

To make it somewhat feasible from a financial perspective, the Sox would have to include a couple MLB players like Giolito and Eloy along with prospects. Can’t see it working from the money side with the Sox sending prospects only.

How about Leury straight up for all

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

MLB network broke down what an Ohtani trade would look like and there are at least 6 teams that would blow any offer the Sox could make out of the water without really trying.  

Out of curiosity, what was the best potential offer floated in this hypothetical?

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The most realistic was probably the Dodgers.  Gonsolin, Cartaya, Miller and Lux.

The Cardinals offer was ridiculous. Gorman, Libertore, Walker, Winn and Sosa.

The Padres was a joke too. I don't remember all of it but Gore, Abrams, Hassell and a couple more.

Does that trade even make the Dodgers that much better this season? I’m not sure it does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The most realistic was probably the Dodgers.  Gonsolin, Cartaya, Miller and Lux.

The Cardinals offer was ridiculous. Gorman, Libertore, Walker, Winn and Sosa.

The Padres was a joke too. I don't remember all of it but Gore, Abrams, Hassell and a couple more.

Pepiot has been mentioned a lot in potential Dodgers' trades as well recently...

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

MLB network broke down what an Ohtani trade would look like and there are at least 6 teams that would blow any offer the Sox could make out of the water without really trying.  

No doubt that is true, but are those teams willing to give up their guys? 

1 hour ago, Leonard Zelig said:

No doubt that is true, but are those teams willing to give up their guys? 

Of course they are.  All the teams listed (LAD, SD, STL, Tor, Sea, Atl) have histories of making big trades.  Those teams understand the point of having a minor league system is to make the big league team better and they're not afraid to make big aggressive moves. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Of course they are.  All the teams listed (LAD, SD, STL, Tor, Sea, Atl) have histories of making big trades.  Those teams understand the point of having a minor league system is to make the big league team better and they're not afraid to make big aggressive moves. 

They are also

1. Able to identify and sign good players beyond Paddy's signings.
  2. Develop many players to improve as they move through the system, and trade from a position of strength and depth.
  3. Trade key prospects for players in their prime, not guys at the end of their careers like James Shields, Jeff Samardzija or Todd Frazier.