Benetti adding to his resume

southsider2k5

45 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I think he is better on football than baseball

Not that I think he's bad on baseball because I think he's good, but I agree he's even better on football. I've found myself watching games I didn't care about because he was announcing.

There is absolutely no reason he could not remain with the Sox long term. There's very little overlap with football season and none with regular season hoops. Baseball is his first love and the Sox his boyhood team. This can easily work. Unless of course JR pulls an idiotic Blackhawks move and tries to prorate his pay for the few games he'd miss. Losing him like we just lost Eddie O would be a kick in the nuts and a totally JR penny pinching move. 

• Like 1

Vin Scully never left the Dodgers and did national baseball and football for years.

Even Joe Buck worked for the Cardinals through '07 after starting to do national baseball and football in '94. He's going to stick around as long as he wants. JR shenanigans notwithstanding.

That said, I think part of bringing Kasper on was the anticipation that he'd have an opportunity to be on TV every once in a while, perhaps increasingly so, and that at just 51 he could still be around for a long time.

Unfortunate that Joe Davis was already promoted to FOX's #1 for baseball, is in unbearably boring.  

Benetti isn't going anywhere, tons of guys in big national gigs do a local team: Davis, Dan Shulman, Brian Anderson, Sean McDonough, Dave O'Brien, Jon Sciambi, Matt Vasgersian until recently...

Edited by soxfan18

All announcers are kind of an acquired taste. I'm sure we could go back to 2019? or whatever year he started calling the Sox games and our takes were completely different. For baseball especially it becomes almost part of the ambience of the game itself. It's a routine of ours as fans to sit down and spend 2-3 hours with them almost nightly. Benetti has a great cadence, line of questions, makes the game approachable to the average fan, but also doesn't dumb it down. His banter and time filling is strong and works well with Steve Stone. Ultimately in a perfect world I'd introduce a 3rd broadcaster to the booth to balance out the old dad jokes and add even more perspective to the booth. Overall he's a B+ to A- for me. Really my only complaints are the sense of humor is an acquired taste and he tends to beat a dead horse a bit. I think we're going on like game 300 of them singing the nationwide jingle and then rating right after "pretty good, brought the A game today" If I never had to listen to another Nationwide jingle and subsequent critique of it I'd be happier. haha. 

Agree, less filler and he's really damn good. aka, football, basketball, etc. 

Lucky to have him, and now that he's established himself as his own person? I wouldn't actually mind him either coming up with a few of his own tag lines or maybe incorporating a few Hawkisms to kind of turn into "white sox'isms" for generations. They don't have to be overused, but a few ducksnorts or can of corns would be nice. Think you can put it on the board every few homers would be nice. a tasteful usage could be nice. 

• Hawk 1

On 7/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, ScooterMcGuire said:

Can you imagine hearing Benetti calling the world series? That would be worlds better than Buck.

I can already hear the collective groan of the nation when he makes a terrible arrested development joke

21 hours ago, he gone. said:

All announcers are kind of an acquired taste. I'm sure we could go back to 2019? or whatever year he started calling the Sox games and our takes were completely different. For baseball especially it becomes almost part of the ambience of the game itself. It's a routine of ours as fans to sit down and spend 2-3 hours with them almost nightly. Benetti has a great cadence, line of questions, makes the game approachable to the average fan, but also doesn't dumb it down. His banter and time filling is strong and works well with Steve Stone. Ultimately in a perfect world I'd introduce a 3rd broadcaster to the booth to balance out the old dad jokes and add even more perspective to the booth. Overall he's a B+ to A- for me. Really my only complaints are the sense of humor is an acquired taste and he tends to beat a dead horse a bit. I think we're going on like game 300 of them singing the nationwide jingle and then rating right after "pretty good, brought the A game today" If I never had to listen to another Nationwide jingle and subsequent critique of it I'd be happier. haha. 

Agree, less filler and he's really damn good. aka, football, basketball, etc. 

Lucky to have him, and now that he's established himself as his own person? I wouldn't actually mind him either coming up with a few of his own tag lines or maybe incorporating a few Hawkisms to kind of turn into "white sox'isms" for generations. They don't have to be overused, but a few ducksnorts or can of corns would be nice. Think you can put it on the board every few homers would be nice. a tasteful usage could be nice. 

Just can’t imagine many “kids” under age 25 or so following 75% of his jokes…that are mostly about the 80’s and 90’s.

Then again, it might be even more corny if he deliberately talked about Taylor Swift, the Kardashians, Blackpink and BTS to seem hip or cool.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just can’t imagine many “kids” under age 25 or so following 75% of his jokes…that are mostly about the 80’s and 90’s.

Then again, it might be even more corny if he deliberately talked about Taylor Swift, the Kardashians, Blackpink and BTS to seem hip or cool.

I get most of his jokes, but then my parents have relentlessly pounded 80s-90s music and pop culture into me for my entire life.

Also, most "kids" my age don't watch many baseball games. I'm an outlier.

This is official now https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/blog/2022/07/28/celebrated-play-by-play-announcer-jason-benetti-joins-fox-sports/

Celebrated play-by-play announcer Jason Benetti joins FOX Sports in 2022, contributing to the network’s live sports slate beginning with college football this fall.