Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree with you that they will almost certainly not sell off any pieces. My point was that even if they wanted to, the pieces that should be moved are not either healthy, or performing enough, to net much of value.  When I expressed my personal preference for selling, I had names like Pollock, Leury, Harrison, Grandal and Moncada in mind. Given their contracts and their inability to either stay on the field and, or provide production, commensurate with their contracts, I'd prefer that they not be on next year's roster. Eloy is a special case, given his age, potential 40 HR power and freakish injury history. This front office has a lot of work to do, but I don't see much opportunity, at the present time.

You can't lump Moncada in with the rest of those guys who are old or have never been productive. Moncada is neither of those things and a plus defender and him getting right would be sooo helpful.

Eloy you just throw your hands up in the air and say UGH ! If only that guy could stay on the field and actually learn to pull the ball and hit some 450ft HR's again, not to left center or center field where HR's go to die with the "new" ball but actually down the LF line or straightaway LF. Get closer to the plate and use that power to hit some HR's to LF . If little dudes like Altuve, Lindor and Albies can do it so can Eloy.

The new ball made pulling it even more important unless you are Judge or Stanton .Plus the Menechino strategy of hitting is neither conducive to the new ball or to the small OF of Guaranteed Rate Field where hard hit doubles and triples go to die. Multiple singles do no good with a team of guys who can't walk and the ones who can walk  haven't been productive at the plate.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You can't lump Moncada in with the rest of those guys who are old or have never been productive. Moncada is neither of those things and a plus defender and him getting right would be sooo helpful.

Eloy you just throw your hands up in the air and say UGH ! If only that guy could stay on the field and actually learn to pull the ball and hit some 450ft HR's again, not to left center or center field where HR's go to die with the "new" ball but actually down the LF line or straightaway LF. Get closer to the plate and use that power to hit some HR's to LF . If little dudes like Altuve, Lindor and Albies can do it so can Eloy.

The new ball made pulling it even more important unless you are Judge or Stanton .Plus the Menechino strategy of hitting is neither conducive to the new ball or to the small OF of Guaranteed Rate Field where hard hit doubles and triples go to die. Multiple singles do no good with a team of guys who can't walk and the ones who can walk  haven't been productive at the plate.

My feelings about Moncada are well known here. I just think that he is not worth the money that will be owed to him after next season: 24:$24M, 25:$25M club option ($5M buyout). He just isn't a good enough hitter to make that kind of money, as a third baseman. He is a great defender, but that position needs offense and he just doesn't seem capable of living up to his potential. He has had enough at bats to demonstrate his ability and should be in his prime. I really doubt that many teams would be willing to give up much to take him and his contract. Therefore, selling him is not really plausible, at this point. That's why I didn't suggest that they could. I'm only expressing my preferences, not what I think will, or should happen. If he showed enough life to attract a good offer, I would like to see him moved. I was as enthusiastic about his potential, as anyone, but there is undeniably something very wrong there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

The Sox just have too many holes to fill.  They need to improve at LF, RF, 3B, 2B, Catcher, and a couple of reliable arms in the pen.

And even with that, they need Robert to come back healthy and Tim to remove his head from his ass.

i just dont see how it would be possible to beat HOU and/or NYY. I think a retool is the wiser choice at the deadline

• Like 1

So much of the Moncada discourse on here is insufferable. The Sox went 20 years between having 4 WAR players at 3b. Between 2019-2021, he had a higher wRC+ than Manny Machado, Kris Bryant, & Nolan Arenado. The guy struggles to play through injuries for 2 months and everyone acts like that's who he is now. I'll never understand it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

So much of the Moncada discourse on here is insufferable. The Sox went 20 years between having 4 WAR players at 3b. Between 2019-2021, he had a higher wRC+ than Manny Machado, Kris Bryant, & Nolan Arenado. The guy struggles to play through injuries for 2 months and everyone acts like that's who he is now. I'll never understand it.

It’s truly unbelievable and picking on him at this point just indicates a lack of understanding the game. He was awful to start, but he’s been well above average for at least 6 weeks now. Sox have way way way bigger issues. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

You have a fair point but on the other side of the coin, every time he gets a hit, draws a walk or even has a good AB ending in a strikeout, many posters here act like he's back to being a 4 WAR player.  I've never seen any other player get more of a pass and the benefit of the doubt.

As we speak his current line is: .208 .264 .599.   I would say the jury is still out.

Now if he continues to improve and hits well from now on out that would be great.  His defense at 3B along with at least average third baseman offense would make him a very valuable player and a fixture at 3B.  But the way he so horribly under-performed at the plate the first few months of the season, whatever the reason, really contributed to crippling the Sox offense and was a major factor to their poor start.  If he doesn't stay hot but continues to hover around his current stats, he needs to be replaced in the starting lineup with someone who provides more offense and used as a late inning defensive replacement.  Let's all hope he returns to his 2019 form and stays that way.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

James McCann, Nick Madrigal & Ivan Nova rank among White Sox Top 10 Cumulative fWAR players over the past four seasons (three full seasons).

White Sox fWAR leaders 2019-2022:

fWAR / Player (Full Seasons * & Games Played)

Position Players

1. 13.9 T. Anderson (3 & 364)
  2. 11.0 Y. Moncada (3 & 381)
  3. 10.3 J. Abreu (3 & 466)
  4. 6.9 L. Robert (2 & 198)
  5. 5.2 Y. Grandal (2 & 193)
  6. 3.7 A. Engel (3 & 237)
  7. 3.7 J. McCann (1.4 & 149)
  8. 3.5 E. Jimenez (3 & 256)
  9. 3.1 L. Garcia (3 & 353)
  10. 1.6 N. Madrigal (1.4 & 83)

Pitchers

1. 12.0 L. Giolito (3 & 89)
  2. 7.9 D. Cease (3 & 78)
  3. 5.9 C. Rodon (2.4 & 35)
  4. 4.5 L. Lynn (1.6 & 36)
  5. 4.1 R. Lopez (3 & 98)
  6. 3.4 L. Hendriks (1.6 & 102)
  7. 3.0 A. Bummer (3 & 149)
  8. 2.6 M. Kopech (1.6 & 62)
  9. 2.1 I. Nova (1 & 34)
  10. 2.1 D.Keuchel (2 & 51)

Note *: 2020 counted as .4 of a season (rounded up from .37), 2022 counted as .6 of a season (98/162).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Most people on here would hate Gallo even if he came here and hit, but man, I love the idea of buying low on him.

It would be such a departure from the usual deadline strategy, but I'd love buying low on guys like him so that you give yourself some chance this season without having to trade Montgomery types. 

At the end of the day, unless you're trading for Juan Soto or Luis Castillo, the success of this season will depend on the core players already on the roster. Might as well buy low on high upside guys in case the core group clicks. If Gallo comes here and sucks, then he's just lefty AJ Pollock with better defense

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s amazing that the Sox are so devoid of any sort of rumor because not even the most desperate mlb reporter could bring themselves to care about Tyler naquin speculation

Could be a good thing. Normally the more quiet the better. I don’t have much faith we will get moves that satisfy us though. I feel like we are gonna see a few relief additions and they will mostly stand pat and fail to address the positional needs.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a Happ thread, but here is Fegan and Sharma's attempt at a Happ trade.

The begrudging deal that is almost solely to demonstrate how painful acquiring an impact, multi-year piece would be: Happ for OF/1B Gavin Sheets, Double-A outfielder Oscar Colás and right-hander Sean Burke.

Life is suffering.

https://theathletic.com/3451738/2022/07/28/white-sox-trade-deadline-deals/?source=emp_shared_article

Edited by DirtySox