Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, massive steal

Yeah he's only 29 and he's been a solid all star starter the past 2 years. It's a very good deal for the Padres. I think he could have gotten 5 and 120 on the open market. 

Musgrove's hometown is SD, fwiw.

Also Padres are/were going to have Manaea going into FA with Gore likely out for 2023.

Makes deGrom and Rodon the top two FA pitchers this offseason. 

$83+ million deals for Myers, Hosmer, Machado, Tatis, Musgrove now.

Took on Darvish deal with $59 million remaining out of $126 million from original Cubs' FA deal.

Edited by caulfield12

51 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Musgrove's hometown is SD, fwiw.

Also Padres are/were going to have Manaea going into FA with Gore likely out for 2023.

Makes deGrom and Rodon the top two FA pitchers this offseason. 

$83+ million deals for Myers, Hosmer, Machado, Tatis, Musgrove now.

Took on Darvish deal with $59 million remaining out of $126 million from original Cubs' FA deal.

Hosmer and Myers should be FA soon, shouldn't they? Waddle and Silvy brought up a good point, how the hell are the Padres spending more to get top guys than the White Sox?

40 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Hosmer and Myers should be FA soon, shouldn't they? Waddle and Silvy brought up a good point, how the hell are the Padres spending more to get top guys than the White Sox?

I'll give you some hints.

1) Five letter word. Starts with the letter "J" and ends with "y".

2) Other known aliases include: penny-pincher, cheapskate, scrooge, scumbag, asshole, fuckface, prick... you get the idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Then they had one year they spent a boatload maybe five years ago going way way way over intl bonus pool limit to load up their farm system with prospects.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-09-23/in-bid-for-tailgate-park-padres-beat-brookfield-with-1-4b-office-focused-proposal

$1.4 billion Tailgate Park development project like Ricketts around Wrigleyville.

Taylor Rogers a FA too.

He has been disappointing. 7 blown saves with 28 converted.  Should be 13-15 games over .500, but have Tatis and at least one big bat coming in the next week or so..

Edited by caulfield12

All trade inquiries should be halted.  It's all lipstick on an old sow.   Tonight was a disgrace.
The worst thing they could do is trade for a 2-year player that will cost real prospects.
The next worse thing is to waste 2nd tier prospects to rent more old guys.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then they had one year they spent a boatload maybe five years ago going way way way over intl bonus pool limit to load up their farm system with prospects.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/story/2020-09-23/in-bid-for-tailgate-park-padres-beat-brookfield-with-1-4b-office-focused-proposal

$1.4 billion Tailgate Park development project like Ricketts around Wrigleyville.

Taylor Rogers a FA too.

He has been disappointing. 7 blown saves with 28 converted.  Should be 13-15 games over .500, but have Tatis and at least one big bat coming in the next week or so..

From an asset perspective, this explains a bit of the gap, but the Sox have done pretty great internationally as well. I keep hearing how weak our system is, but we do have Cespedes, Colas, Colson in the farm and a lot of guys who barely came up. 

From a monetary perspective, makes no sense how the Padres beat the Sox out financially for Machado other than Jerry being cheap. The Padres essentially did what the White Sox were supposed to do. Spend big while your best guys were cheap.

For Waddle and Silvy (who are not even Sox fans) as well as Jesse Rogers to flat out call them out for just being purely cheap, that's pretty awful. You have a 23 year old superstar out there and you're not even going to attempt to make a trade. It's disgusting. Even if you don't plan on saving this season, he's a guy who can help you for the next 10 years at least as well as move some merch. It's saddening to see, because if you're not going to do it for Soto, you're literally not going to do it for anyone. 

As far as what they should do (aside from actually going after a star), blow it up. I think Grandal could get you a mid level prospect back and you clear some cash. Teams are looking at C including the Padres. Graveman should be gone. Liam, IMO, should be gone. Moncada, I think I would get rid of as well. Giolito could probably still fetch you something (though not as great as last year before stickum was removed). And Abreu, just to let him compete for a ring. Poor guy. 

• Hawk 1

Tampa looking for catching help.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/rays-looking-for-catching-help.html

A4625-D7-C-678-B-42-CF-B38-B-1-CD71-BF4-

Hello, it’s Rick. I’ve got a few guys available for your catcher spot.

Peter Bendix “Hi Rick, let me put you on hold to finish this call I’m on.

Clicks hold.

preview.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

From an asset perspective, this explains a bit of the gap, but the Sox have done pretty great internationally as well. I keep hearing how weak our system is, but we do have Cespedes, Colas, Colson in the farm and a lot of guys who barely came up. 

From a monetary perspective, makes no sense how the Padres beat the Sox out financially for Machado other than Jerry being cheap. The Padres essentially did what the White Sox were supposed to do. Spend big while your best guys were cheap.

For Waddle and Silvy (who are not even Sox fans) as well as Jesse Rogers to flat out call them out for just being purely cheap, that's pretty awful. You have a 23 year old superstar out there and you're not even going to attempt to make a trade. It's disgusting. Even if you don't plan on saving this season, he's a guy who can help you for the next 10 years at least as well as move some merch. It's saddening to see, because if you're not going to do it for Soto, you're literally not going to do it for anyone. 

As far as what they should do (aside from actually going after a star), blow it up. I think Grandal could get you a mid level prospect back and you clear some cash. Teams are looking at C including the Padres. Graveman should be gone. Liam, IMO, should be gone. Moncada, I think I would get rid of as well. Giolito could probably still fetch you something (though not as great as last year before stickum was removed). And Abreu, just to let him compete for a ring. Poor guy. 

Middle of the pack with catching.  Hosmer (great start and then 26th in OPS since) and Voit have just been so so…

They will first look at Josh Bell, Ohtani and Soto.

Most likely is going after Happ/Contreras/Robertson as a combined package, as they need all three to be able to legitimately compete with the Dodgers. 

Might also at least dip into the Montas pool.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Rockies are the dumbest organization in sports.  What in the hell are they doing extending a 37 year old closer who would actually bring back legit value?

They constantly make head scratching moves.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

We may be stuck with out FO, but at least we aren't the Rockies.

Paying a ton of money to trade Arenado while then turning around and signing Kris Bryant, a worse and more injured player, was about the most head scratching move that I can ever think of. 

• Like 1