Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

8 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I think this line of thinking gives too much credit to the FO. They screwed up by not giving it to him. I'm 100% on board with not matching the Giants offer, because it's $4 mil more for this year and if he has a monster year he opts out and if he doesn't you're on the hook for the 2nd year.

Just remember the Giants offer could have been different/less if they knew they had to give up a draft pick. By not offering the QO the Sox made it easier on any team wanting to sign him and lost a draft pick.

It's Hahn job to work and do good things for the Sox not the rest of baseball and Scott Boras.

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He’s #4 in pitches per game in MLB in 2022. This idea that the Giants are somehow going to take much better care of him and not “abuse” him like the Sox did in 2021 is dumb.

They don't really have to take better care of him because he isn't coming off 2 straight years of barely pitching now.  He has that 150 innings under his belt from last year. His arm is less likely to get gassed as quickly. Let's look at it again during the All-Star break and see where it's at. 

What's dumb is thinking the innings from last year don't figure into the calculus.

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just remember the Giants offer could have been different/less if they knew they had to give up a draft pick. By not offering the QO the Sox made it easier on any team wanting to sign him and lost a draft pick.

It's Hahn job to work and do good things for the Sox not the rest of baseball and Scott Boras.

Like giving up our own competitive balance pick to the rest of the division...except better...just for the heck of it.

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They don't really have to take better care of him because he isn't coming off 2 straight years of barely pitching now.  He has that 150 innings under his belt from last year. His arm is less likely to get gassed as quickly. Let's look at it again during the All-Star break and see where it's at. 

What's dumb is thinking the innings from last year don't figure into the calculus.

When did he pitch 150 innings? He had around 135 last year and needed time off to do it.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Spring training innings count too.

No they don't as no one uses that in workload calculations.

If you want to go include all of that every pitcher throws close to 200 innings with warm-ups, between innings and side sessions. 

It's all relative to previous workloads which is tracked by pitches or innings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

No they don't as no one uses that in workload calculations.

If you want to go include all of that every pitcher throws close to 200 innings with warm-ups, between innings and side sessions. 

It's all relative to previous workloads which is tracked by pitches or innings.

Well I guess I did then. And who exactly do you mean by no one ? Do you have access to how everyone does workload calculations given how much things have changed in the last 10 years ? Or are you speaking about your time in MLB as a pitching coach and health advisor  to the front offices? What about playoff innings , do they count ?

As far as I'm concerned any time you take the mound in a situation that requires you to pitch against another team in a competitive situation, the IP counts. Side sessions and warm-ups are prerequisites to being a pitcher and do not involve the risk of a batter lining a pitch off your forehead. But I guess we are now down to splitting hairs and I will continue to use 150 IP.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well I guess I did then. And who exactly do you mean by no one ? What about playoff innings , do they count ?

As far as I'm concerned any time you take the mound in a situation that requires you to pitch against another team in a competitive situation, the IP counts. Side sessions and warm-ups are prerequisites to being a pitcher and do not involve the risk of a batter lining a pitch off your forehead. But I guess we are now down to splitting hairs and I will continue to use 150 IP.

Playoffs do because of the intensity. Spring training not really. But if you want to count his spring training innings this this year and add those to his innings pitched this year.

He had about 135 including the playoffs last year.

You can use 150 but the people taking care of his health or lack thereof will not.

Edited by ptatc

On 4/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, caulfield12 said:

Twins will go to a six man rotation when Sonny Gray returns soon.

Ryan, Gray, Ober, Bundy, Paddack, Archer.

Five of those guys weren't on the team last year.

Also, Michael Wacha has been incredible so far this year...and his price tag was right in the Sox range.

Guess it wasn't so hard for some teams to find starting pitching.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guess it wasn't so hard for some teams to find starting pitching.

And the Twins are still about $45 million under the Sox payroll even with Correa's huge yearly salary.

Ryan so far has put up a debut as a starter that is bringing up historical comps with Christy Mathewson.   That certainly won't continue, but everything has gone perfectly for them on the pitching side.  Jhoan Duran looks like a monster, making the more expensive Rogers expendable...helping them bring in Paddack and Pagan.

The crazy thing is how deep those Rays (Ryan/Cruz deal) are on the pitching side to me.  They usually don't so many mistakes on the trade front.  Adames really sticks out there as well last year, and time will tell with the Meadows/Tigers deal.

Edited by caulfield12

42 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Another Quality start for Rodon

Hopefully his arm doesn't fall off in September.  Nothing he is doing now is surprising, if he finishes strong then we can all b**** about the QO and lack of offer. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Oh, they’re going to make the playoffs

That would be more palatable than the Padres for most.

The crazy thing is this Giants’ offense might as well be the Cleveland Guardians.  In fact, almost nobody would take SF.  I mean, Luis Gonzalez is playing a key role right now.  Yet they’re somehow right there in the thick of it again, at least so far.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hopefully his arm doesn't fall off in September.  Nothing he is doing now is surprising, if he finishes strong then we can all b**** about the QO and lack of offer. 

Hes already worth the QO, dont have to wait anymore

• Like 2