White Sox among 'most agressive' teams in pitching market

southsider2k5

Just now, RTC said:

They’re going to pull some stupidly aggressive Kenny shit and lose in the wildcard, aren’t they?  Just so they can say “everyone in this front office wants to win”.

They bought all in on this rebuild, the owner and the manager are geriatrics.  Retooling or giving up on this season is not in their vocabulary.  They will burn whats left to the farm to the ground to give them a spot in the playoffs.  The montra has always been if you get into the dance you get a chance.  

Its real simple.  If the asset costs a lot of money or requires you to take a bad contract back no way does it get done.

If the asset only costs prospects, they dont care about those.  They will trade them all away especially if whatever is coming back is still cost controlled or there is money being kicked back to us.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

They bought all in on this rebuild, the owner and the manager are geriatrics.  Retooling or giving up on this season is not in their vocabulary.  They will burn whats left to the farm to the ground to give them a spot in the playoffs.  The montra has always been if you get into the dance you get a chance.  

Its real simple.  If the asset costs a lot of money or requires you to take a bad contract back no way does it get done.

If the asset only costs prospects, they dont care about those.  They will trade them all away especially if whatever is coming back is still cost controlled or there is money being kicked back to us.  

I'm fine if they go for it as long as they don't let everyone leave for nothing. 

They have to have the balls to do what the Cubs did at the end. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This “team” right now is not currently a “contending” team no matter how you spin in, any of these losers coming out of the central will get their asses handed to them in the playoffs. Adding pitching to this horse shit team will not magically fix the offensive issues, defensive issues, managerial issues, fundamental issues, and lack of effort. 

This is an 80 grade post.

The AL Central winner will do about as well in the playoffs as the AFC Champion did in the Super Bowl from 1984-1996....total, complete and utter sacrificial lamb that will get destroyed even if you add a few pieces here and there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm very fearful now.

Do not part with a single LH savage or Vera. 

No way in hell.

Hahn is running a BOGO special on minor league savages and all he wants in return is a semi-controllable starter and a LH reliever.  Just wait, Frankie Montas + AJ Puk for Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas, & Norge Vera is going to happen brother.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is extremely depressing but the logic is absolutely sound. There is no incentive structure right now for them to think of the long term. The old man and TLR are about to leave the scene and the FO has future employment to worry about. KW/RH's rebuild cannot end up like Al Avila's. They'll sacrifice every young savage for the here and now even if it will obviously end in futility.

All they are trying to do right now is save face and just get into the playoffs. Everyone knows this team ain't shit but at least they can say "hey we made it to the playoffs 3 years in a row for the first time ever with back to back division winners....sure we didnt win...but in the playoffs nothing is guaranteed, look at the Dodgers!". 

There is no realistic plan to actually win a championship, it's just trying to half ass their way back into the postseason and anything beyond that is gravy. 

Colson Montgomery being a 5 time All Star with Billy Beane's Oakland As with a 370+ career OBP is irrelevant.

Oscar Colas becoming a perennial 25-30 HR hitter and left handed savage extraordinaire RHP destroyer for an NL Central club really isn't their problem. 

Norge Vera who? Oh we can get good Cuban players all the time RH will say. Oh and did you know that young pitchers can break?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn is running a BOGO special on minor league savages and all he wants in return is a semi-controllable starter and a LH reliever.  Just wait, Frankie Montas + AJ Puk for Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas, & Norge Vera is going to happen brother.

Dude I'm already practically in tears because I can already feel the young savages slipping away. 

It wouldn't surprise me one damn bit if they pulled this shit.

• Like 2

1.5% chance to win the World Series per Fangraphs.  

Feel free to add the guys where all you have to do is pickup the remainder of this year's money and throw them a bone.

Do not deal from the worst farm system in the league just because the owner and the front office have a 2-3 year window.  

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

Two pitchers deals:     Q And bednar, montas and Trevino, free land and bard, Hendricks and Robertson, skubal and fulmer……. Any other package starter/reliever tandems make sense? 

Why does no one mention Martin Perez like i do Lol . If we meet up with the Astro's Perez is the guy you need.

I hope they don't do anything  too stupid. Ideally, they keep most of what they have for now and bting in a new DM to decide the best course of action,  which no doubt,  would include a new manager and coaching staff. These dopes had their chances and they are still mired in mediocrity. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why does no one mention Martin Perez like i do Lol . If we meet up with the Astro's Perez is the guy you need.

Cause he sucks. Nice season for him. Wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole unless TEX hands him over for a song. 

1 hour ago, RTC said:

They’re going to pull some stupidly aggressive Kenny shit and lose in the wildcard, aren’t they?  Just so they can say “everyone in this front office wants to win”.

I can already hear Hahn dropping the line about “two straight division titles” this offseason when he’s justifying not making significant improvements.

Being in this division is a blessing and a curse.

Edited by Snopek
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

You have a near mid 80s owner who has his bestie who is near 80 running the team.  They are not building for tomorrow.  They will burn it all down to give them a lottery ticket into the dance.  They could be dead by the time these kids are up. Coals/Montgomery/Vera are all fair game to go IMHO.  Hahn is not in charge of this dance.  The GM is the old man in the dugout right now.  Whatever he says we need is what we are getting.  

Eh, if they were that interested in going for it, I think we would have seen a much different approach last winter. I don't buy it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Eh, if they were that interested in going for it, I think we would have seen a much different approach last winter. I don't buy it.

They're interested in going for it....as long as it doesn't cost too much money or require a long term commitment. 

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cause he sucks. Nice season for him. Wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole unless TEX hands him over for a song. 

how does a guy who has a 2.59 ERA and 3.12 FIP and 2.6 FWAR suck ????

Does Cueto suck because that's better than Cueto. Way better. Cueto for as good as he's been only has a .9 fWar

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This “team” right now is not currently a “contending” team no matter how you spin in, any of these losers coming out of the central will get their asses handed to them in the playoffs. Adding pitching to this horse shit team will not magically fix the offensive issues, defensive issues, managerial issues, fundamental issues, and lack of effort. 

The org being stupid AF (I agree) and selling at the deadline while only 3 GB being not the smartest play can both be true.  I myself don't think think a hot streak can overcome what plagues this team but they are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't either way at this point.  I am pro re-tool, while also being open to trading just about anything to rebalance the roster.  But I don't think they can sell at the deadline only 3 games back.  I can only hope they don't decimate what little talent is on the farm in desperation moves.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

how does a guy who sucks have a 2.59 ERA and 3.12 FIP and 2.6 FWAR suck ????

Like I said, nice season. He’s a 31 YO back the rotation SP having a career year. Good for him. Don’t be the guy to pay full price. Dude has a career whip of just under 1.5. He’s an upgrade on no one in our rotation. 

Guardians might win the division and they're still looking to deal Bieber, Plesac or Civale at the right price.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the face if they can still pull off a "Rays counterintuitive stealth genius deadline" while adding youth to once again replace veterans and simultaneously get cheaper?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The org being stupid AF (I agree) and selling at the deadline while only 3 GB being not the smartest play can both be true.  I myself don't think think a hot streak can overcome what plagues this team but they are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't either way at this point.  I am pro re-tool, while also being open to trading just about anything to rebalance the roster.  But I don't think they can sell at the deadline only 3 games back.  I can only hope they don't decimate what little talent is on the farm in desperation moves.

There's 2 guys on the farm worth not moving Colas and Montgomery the rest are trade bait. Is there really going to wailing and gnashing of teeth over most of these prospect whose chance of becoming "dudes " in MLB are practically zilch when the whole system is near the bottom now all of a sudden these guys got worth ?

ARe we saving them for the cellar dwelling teams after 2025 ?

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like I said, nice season. He’s a 31 YO back the rotation SP having a career year. Good for him. Don’t be the guy to pay full price. Dude has a career whip of just under 1.5. He’s an upgrade on no one in our rotation. 

I get the feeling you think minor leaguers are worth more than an All STar pitcher who gets guys on the freakin' astro's out with like 1 run in 14 innings. What the heck do you want to make you happy ? Is last place in 2025 a goal because that's where the Sox are headed .

Tell me what he's worth and lets see if hes traded and how much TX. gets ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He might regress, sure.

But he might have really found something like Loiaza in 2003 that lasts for most of the year.

To say he doesn't give you a better chance than Giolito or Lynn or whoever takes Kopech starts down the stretch is a bit preposterous unless you forget the name and look carefully at the reasons behind the All-Star results.  Plus we need at least one lefty for balance.

That said, Rangers won't just give him away but also aren't forced to trader him if dissatisfied with the returns offered.

• Thanks 1