Time to buy, not sell

hankchifan

Things are looking up for the Sox after last two wins against the A’s.  Eloy starting to hit, along with TA, Abreu, Pollock, Sevy looking good.  Robert hopefully back soon. Grandal and Vaughn not so good.  Infield defense better.  Cease untouchable, Kopech and Cueto very good.  Hendriks and most of the bullpen back on a groove.  So if we make the playoffs, we have good enough pitching to be competitive in a short series.  We are now only 2 GBs behind, with an easier schedule than Cleveland and the Twins. So the division is for the taking. So, I say WE SHOULD BE BUYERS.  Need to get a good lefty outfielder at the least to help us get over the hump.  Big Energy is playing better so Idont know if we need another 2nd base now,  We could use additional power in the lineup.  I think the only reliever need will be a lefty.  Rather invest in everyday position players, preferably lefties with power and good defense.  Let’s pull the trigger. Aren’t we a major market team? Let’s act as one.

• Love 1

The Braves last year proved with a couple shrewd moves...it's the hottest team in September that wins it all. They can very much do this if Gio and Lynn get their heads out of their asses. if the window is "NOW", I don't see the point in trying to do an on fly roster sell with Hahn. Best case scenario is they win the division, and hope TLR doesn't screw things up. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Nope. It’s all Fool’s gold. This has been a .500 team since last years all star break and there should be no moves made to prop up this team for this year. The front office should be focusing on 2023. 

If it is Fool's gold as you say, then they should be trading some higher priced assets for some younger ones. If they are adding to the roster, they are assuming the roster needs some improvements like RF. If they are just swapping relievers or a 5/6th SP, they are really doing nothing.  We shall see!!!

35 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

If it is Fool's gold as you say, then they should be trading some higher priced assets for some younger ones. If they are adding to the roster, they are assuming the roster needs some improvements like RF. If they are just swapping relievers or a 5/6th SP, they are really doing nothing.  We shall see!!!

I am 100% in favor of trading higher priced assets for some younger ones who will help the team next year and beyond. Hell yes.

• Like 1

Gentlemen, MLB.com just posted an article “ 9 teams that need to go all out at trade deadline”  and the Sox is one of them.  According to them, Sox team is constructed to win now.  Need lefty help at 2 nd and the outfield. Ian Happ is ideal as he can play both 2nd and OF.  Joey Gallo should be plan B.  May need to part with any of the few top prospects Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas and/or Jose Rodriguez.  They also think that Sox may go the rental route so we don’t decimate the farm system.   As you can see, I was not the only calling for the Sox to upgrade thru buying now.

Edited by hankchifan

2 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

I am 100% in favor of trading higher priced assets for some younger ones who will help the team next year and beyond. Hell yes.

So if guys like Grandal, Lynn, Abreu are dealt now for younger players down the road, are you okay?

37 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Gentlemen, MLB.com just posted an article “ 9 teams that need to go all out at trade deadline”  and the Sox is one of them.  According to them, Sox team is constructed to win now.  Need lefty help at 2 nd and the outfield. Ian Happ is ideal as he can play both 2nd and OF.  Joey Gallo should be plan B.  May need to part with any of the few top prospects Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas and/or Jose Rodriguez.  They also think that Sox may go the rental route so we don’t decimate the farm system.   As you can see, I was not the only calling for the Sox to upgrade thru buying now.

This is how we traded Fernando Tatis jr. for James Shields. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Highland said:

I'll be surprised if the Sox make a dramatic move. I don't think they are in a position to make a big move. Maybe they pick up a reliever.

I agree.  They'll say they were in on this guy and that guy but gosh darn it we just couldn't make it work and they'll end up with guys like Chad Kuhl and Anthony Bass.

10 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Things are looking up for the Sox after last two wins against the A’s.  Eloy starting to hit, along with TA, Abreu, Pollock, Sevy looking good.  Robert hopefully back soon. Grandal and Vaughn not so good.  Infield defense better.  Cease untouchable, Kopech and Cueto very good.  Hendriks and most of the bullpen back on a groove.  So if we make the playoffs, we have good enough pitching to be competitive in a short series.  We are now only 2 GBs behind, with an easier schedule than Cleveland and the Twins. So the division is for the taking. So, I say WE SHOULD BE BUYERS.  Need to get a good lefty outfielder at the least to help us get over the hump.  Big Energy is playing better so Idont know if we need another 2nd base now,  We could use additional power in the lineup.  I think the only reliever need will be a lefty.  Rather invest in everyday position players, preferably lefties with power and good defense.  Let’s pull the trigger. Aren’t we a major market team? Let’s act as one.

Exactly what playoff teams do we have a better than 25% chance of beating?

5 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Exactly what playoff teams do we have a better than 25% chance of beating?

At the end of the day if you miss the playoffs you have a zero percent chance of winning.  If you make the playoffs that chance goes up by infinity, no matter how small it is.  YOu get in, get your match up, and go from there.  There is no more random of a sport than baseball.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Wouldn't it be great if we had a franchise that wasn't built to win now but constructed to win all the time like the Yankees and Dodgers. It won't happen as long as JR is the owner is the owner of the Chicago American League Baseball Club.

I also believe that we need to be buyers, who would sell when you are only 2 games out in the Division and 2 games out of a WC spot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Wouldn't it be great if we had a franchise that wasn't built to win now but constructed to win all the time like the Yankees and Dodgers. It won't happen as long as JR is the owner is the owner of the Chicago American League Baseball Club.

I also believe that we need to be buyers, who would sell when you are only 2 games out in the Division and 2 games out of a WC spot.

Williams tried, even if it meant flailing in mediocrity between 2009 and 2016 before finally admitting that a rebuild was needed to be actually competitive.

We've never drafted / developed well, and that's been the main downfall of this organization. Not enough home-grown players to use as trade chips or backfills for veterans. Not enough success on developing the pieces that we've got.

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Williams tried, even if it meant flailing in mediocrity between 2009 and 2016 before finally admitting that a rebuild was needed to be actually competitive.

We've never drafted / developed well, and that's been the main downfall of this organization. Not enough home-grown players to use as trade chips or backfills for veterans. Not enough success on developing the pieces that we've got.

Everything goes back to JR, he's never believed in spending big money on the farm system or what he described as potential.

I'm not sure who the managers and coaches are at the Minor League level but I'm sure they aren't the best that money can buy as player development has not been a strong suit under JR's regime.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

This is how we traded Fernando Tatis jr. for James Shields. 

And Erik Johnson was originally the key piece, another young pitcher who never overcame his injuries.  Part of it seemed almost psychological, too, like the Alec Hansen situation.  Too much in his own head, pretty cerebral dude.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

At the end of the day if you miss the playoffs you have a zero percent chance of winning.  If you make the playoffs that chance goes up by infinity, no matter how small it is.  YOu get in, get your match up, and go from there.  There is no more random of a sport than baseball.

Correct but that doesn’t mean you make stupid decisions to increase your chance of winning the WS from 1% to 1.1%. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

So basically all of the holes Hahn failed to address in the off-season he will magically fill now, with inflated prices and less means to add.  Cool. 

He will probably end up with a reliever and a few rumours we tried for X,Y or Z unattainable players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With Cease we have a very high probability of winning at least one game to start with, anything can happen after that.