Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If Diekman could be signed for 2 years, $8 million last offseason, is it likely that he will be unmovable with 1 year $4 million remaining next offseason unless he’s hurt?

If even Balta thinks he’s movable, he’s gotta be moveable! 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If Diekman could be signed for 2 years, $8 million last offseason, is it likely that he will be unmovable with 1 year $4 million remaining next offseason unless he’s hurt?

Not sure, but Diekman was one year removed from an excellent (but shortened) 2020 season.  His numbers have further regressed since then.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It is another stupid move on the margins that commits a poor crying club to a few million and a roster spot for 2023.

Yep. We can’t have a second baseman because we have to pay Leury and a mediocre bullpen cast. Hahn keeps going further and further down the path step by step whistling  through the Dark Forest

Edited by Chick Mercedes

17 minutes ago, shago said:

What a low rent, Rick Hahn move. How does this move the needle, at all?

It doesn’t, and not only that we’ve given up our best defensive catcher because of the Seby mirage and took on more reliever salary for next season. 

Only good defensive catcher the Sox have had in like a decade. 

I know I’m overreacting to this one. Seby  Zavala is ok or whatever, McGuire wasn’t hitting, etc., but Rick Hahn is the absolute lord of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Of all the ways to land what he needs, he always finds SOME way to open up another hole at the same time. It’s just hard to believe there wasn’t another way to get a mediocre lefty RP 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Only good defensive catcher the Sox have had in like a decade. 

I know I’m overreacting to this one. Seby  Zavala is ok or whatever, McGuire wasn’t hitting, etc., but Rick Hahn is the absolute lord of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Of all the ways to land what he needs, he always finds SOME way to open up another hole at the same time. It’s just hard to believe there wasn’t another way to get a mediocre lefty RP 

Did you really expect Sox to carry three catchers all of August? 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

No I’d rather waive Zavala to keep a decent defender on the roster for a season for once. 

Fair. I figured that would be the choice as well. But I don’t mind this either. If Yaz doesn’t figure it out in next couple weeks Perez will certainly be here in September and get plenty of a PT, so it’s really just a month. Reese really hadn’t played much since Sebys resurgence. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fair. I figured that would be the choice as well. But I don’t mind this either. If Yaz doesn’t figure it out in next couple weeks Perez will certainly be here in September and get plenty of a PT, so it’s really just a month. Reese really hadn’t played much since Sebys resurgence. 

They won't bring up Perez for the very first time in the heat of a pennant race.

TLR would never play him anyway.

Edited by caulfield12

44 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

No I’d rather waive Zavala to keep a decent defender on the roster for a season for once. 

What they should have done is kept working Grandal in Arizona or Schaumberg until he was actually physically able to catch more than twice a week, and also healthy enough to swing a bat for power. Perhaps his eyes / response time have declined to the point he is now both a negative hitter and catcher/defender, but at this point I suspect health, or lack thereof is playing a role.

I understand the urgency at this stage of the season, the call that it's better to have XXX at XX%, but there are just far too many guys playing at reduced capabilities, and the remaining healthy players are also asked to take it easy to avoid further injuries.

A team cannot be expected to win with this approach, and it's the approach Tony has taken since July 2021. The team was going all out the first three months of 2021, even with key guys out (Eloy, Robert). They need to return to that approach.

• Like 1

The only trouble with this move is that the Sox are stuck with this guy for next year.  Hahn just loves his aging relievers.  Pen is where you can save some budget and turn failed starter prospects into relievers at minimum salary.

Is the title correct that the CHW are throwing in extra $ for this?

Edited by GreenSox

• Heads22 changed the title to Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman
  • bmags unpinned this topic