Juan Soto/Josh Bell to Padres official

bmags

I don't really think gore is that interesting. He's a former top prospect who has consistently struggled. He's pretty much the equivelant of Glasnow. The get is 3 top 100 prospects, but now that Bell is in there too, I'd say this just proves how attainable top talent is when you aren't a fucking joke.

• Hawk 2

Just now, bmags said:

I don't really think gore is that interesting. He's a former top prospect who has consistently struggled. He's pretty much the equivelant of Glasnow. The get is 3 top 100 prospects, but now that Bell is in there too, I'd say this just proves how attainable top talent is when you aren't a fucking joke.

Honestly it looks like Preller is the only one that would actually do a deal like this. Teams have major major problems giving up their prospects in any deal. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow both Soto & Bell?  Preller ain’t fucking around.

Meanwhile, the Sox traded for a LOOGY with a -0.5 fWAR despite our largest three free agent expenditures the last two years being relievers.

But at least they TRIED to get Ohtani!

• Haha 1

I'm almost certain hahn will trade for like will myers just to show off how much money he can get Reinsdorf to waste as long as it's not going to one player, theoretically, and setting a standard for labor negotiations.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Honestly it looks like Preller is the only one that would actually do a deal like this. Teams have major major problems giving up their prospects in any deal. 

I don't know, I think Cards/Dodgers just had much less urgency to do it.

Just now, fathom said:

While taking on 4.5 million for next year and the 24 buyout. 

Isn’t there money or PTBNL also involved too?  

Think Soto really comes down to Padres being willing to trade Abrams and getting proper valuation on Gore.  Same with Liberatore in StL, and Dylan Carlson’s 760 ops projecting eventually to 850ish but only 3-4 more years under control.  Cardinals will blink.  Too much talent changing hands for a mid market team.  Dodgers can match with Dustin May and Lux and prospects galore but can’t afford to lose both Trea Turner and Lux…Chris Taylor with a limited remaining shelf life.  Bellinger struggling along with Muncy all year long.  Super complicated chess match.  Feel like LA might go for Happ/Robertson instead and save bullets for 2023-24.

“The Padres, meanwhile, are now over the luxury-tax threshold after their stunning addition of Josh Hader yesterday. They’ve reportedly been loath to cross that line for a second consecutive season. However, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale suggeststhat if it means acquiring both Hader and Soto, the Padres “won’t mind blowing completely past” the tax line.

Over in Los Angeles, the Dodgers have become increasingly optimistic about their chances over the past couple days, per Jack Harris of the L.A. Times. The Dodgers’ perennially deep farm system is rife with top prospects — they have seven of Baseball America’s top 100 farmhands at the moment — and they also possess controllable young big leaguers of potential interest. Both Harris and Heyman suggest infielder Gavin Lux (four more years of team control) and righty Dustin May (nearing return from Tommy John surgery, with three more years of control) as potential targets for Washington.”

If that increased the value they got back, that's a great idea from Nats. 

The shame/conundrum for the Nats, is they had ushered in some of the greatest players in the game, who all chose the agent that they had a very good working relationship with, but was also the one guy who would never let a player sign early. Acuna is locked up. Franco is locked up. Tatis is locked up. Trout was locked up. The nats couldn't lock up harper or soto. It really sucks for them.

• Like 1