Juan Soto/Josh Bell to Padres official

bmags

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And even if they fail in that time, nothing suggests they will give up and rebuild.  Preller will keep finding ways to get things done.

If they fail in that time, with the sunk money, any non-Reinsdorf GM is getting fired.

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

Yes I understand that, I just didn’t know how many of them were in their top ten. I figured a couple but didn’t realize all four. Thanks though I appreciate everyone responding, I am doing this at work and came over here once the deal was announced. 

Abrams was/is a consensus Top 5-10 talent but he’s battled a ton of injuries and was forced up one year early due to injuries.

He looks like he will take a year or two to adjust.  Went from high school to majors with about as many at-bats as Andrew Vaughn received (including whatever 2020 was).

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

If they fail in that time, with the sunk money, any non-Reinsdorf GM is getting fired.

True dat.

Maybe Colorado … even there, some fans losing patience with mixed messages and so much competition in the division.

Padres just gutted their farm system of 4 out of Top 5-6, except future catcher Campusano.

Have Nick Martinez, Weathers, Morejon and Baez for insurance on pitching side.  Merrill, too.

Shed salary of Myers, Hosmer, likely Sean Manaea departs as a FA.

Edited by caulfield12

I think y’all are underestimating the haul the Nats got. They did well here. Gore, Abrams, Wood, Hassell etc could turn out to be huge. Add on the extra cap space without having to pay Soto and I’ll be really interested to see how this pans out in 5y

Plus SD will have to sign Soto now, and what will it be? 10y $475mil?

Edited by NCsoxfan

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

I think y’all are underestimating the haul the Nats got. They did well here. Gore, Abrams, Wood, Hassell etc could turn out to be huge. Add on the extra cap space without having to pay Soto and I’ll be really interested to see how this pans out in 5y

They are getting new ownership. New ownership usually either goes really cheap or goes on a crazy spending spree. I gues this means they can get away with cheap for a couple of years, then go nuts.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

Depends on how badly injured Gore is and if Abrams is more Mondesi Jr. and less Jazz Chisholm.  Wood and Hassell two plus years away. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They are getting new ownership. New ownership usually either goes really cheap or goes on a crazy spending spree. I gues this means they can get away with cheap for a couple of years, then go nuts.

Right, Atl and Mets will dominate next 2-3 years in all likelihood.  Not much pressure.  Phillies are right there, too.

Edited by caulfield12

Based on historical spend averages and even factoring in the dip in revenue during the rebuild, I have decided that Jerry could have eaten at least 100 million in Hosmer type deals over the rebuild, adding several additional top prospects.  

I'm going to guess boras is pushing washington to agree to eat hosmer money and try to get him traded to a competitive team. But that team doesn't exist.

WAIT HES LEFT HANDED AND SUCKS AT DEFENSE I THINK I KNOW A TEAM

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

Who is Paxson?

He said that reinsdorf can hit a breaking point and brought up the Gar Forman/John Paxson duo of the bulls, but Paxson by all accounts resigned and pushed Reinsdorf to understand the team needed big overhaul and he couldn't do it anymore.