Juan Soto/Josh Bell to Padres official

bmags

He has a 10 team no-trade this year, wonder if the Sox are among the nine others covered. They have two months to dump him to one of the twenty possible teams.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/san-diego-padres/

• full no-trade protection from 2018 to 2020, limited no-trade protection thereafter allowing Hosmer to block deals to 10 clubs (earns 10-and-5 rights after 2022)

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

He has a 10 team no-trade this year, wonder if the Sox are among the nine others covered. They have two months to dump him to one of the twenty possible teams.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/san-diego-padres/

• full no-trade protection from 2018 to 2020, limited no-trade protection thereafter allowing Hosmer to block deals to 10 clubs (earns 10-and-5 rights after 2022)

The Sox were not on his list last year.  No idea what it looks like now.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I dont blame Hosmer, imagine going from a contender in beautiful SD to a bottom dweller like WSH in the cold northeast. Even then hes so rich it probably doesnt matter

I wouldn't agree to it if I were him either. 

• Like 1

Still blown away that the Nats traded Soto at all. Amazing. 

So bad for the game when these generational players leave Boston and Washington because of "money." 

Padres give up a bunch of guys who have done nothing for one of the 5 best hitters to start his career in MLB history --- and who hasn't even reached his prime. 

Just now, oldsox said:

Did Preller do that deal with Hosmer?  Why would they give him the NO Trade provision?  I never understood how agents talk GMs into stuff like this.

Yeah that deal has been haunting Preller for years. They've been trying to get rid of Hosmer for a while now. Everyone thought they overpaid when they signed him and it turns out they were right. 

6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Did Preller do that deal with Hosmer?  Why would they give him the NO Trade provision?  I never understood how agents talk GMs into stuff like this.

It's limited to 10 teams. He just tried to trade him to the wrong one. Of course, the 10 he chooses are the 10 most likely to pick up his contract.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Still blown away that the Nats traded Soto at all. Amazing. 

This deal was made possible by the players union.

They somehow made another agreement without a major raise for pre-arb players.

When bad vets that could easily be cut by May 1st get 5 MILLION DOLLARS, it makes the pre-arb player infinitely valuable. 

The Nats just acquired 2 or 3 can't miss major leaguers that they can pay about 2 million dollars to over a 3 year period and they may have acquired as many as 5.  That is like 20+ pre-arb years and 35+ years of team control.  For 2 years of Soto at a cheap rate (but not free) and sole negotiating rights to pay him 400 million dollars. 

This won't be the last deal of this kind, it does not take a genius to realize the inefficiency in player compensation in MLB.  The more these kids play nationally against top competition as youths, the better the training, the better the scouting, the better the 22 year old player.  

Edited by GREEDY

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would maximize the pain in dumping Hosmer. With Washington gone, at least one of these ten cannot be rejected this season by Hosmer.

1. Toronto (Canadian taxes, likely on his list)
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Kansas City
  4. Detroit
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Cleveland
  7. Minnesota
  8. Oakland
  9. Baltimore
  10. Washington
  11. Colorado

He can probably be traded to all of those teams. The problem is none of them would ever agree to a trade for him.

I would maximize the pain in dumping Hosmer. With Washington gone, at least one of these ten cannot be rejected this season by Hosmer.

1. Toronto (Canadian taxes, likely on his list)
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Kansas City
  4. Detroit
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Cleveland
  7. Minnesota
  8. Oakland
  9. Baltimore
  10. Washington
  11. Colorado

Headline: Hosmer would reject every single AL Central team but White Sox…pretty much the entire Rust Belt, lol.

Cubs, Brewers, Cards also okay.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He can probably be traded to all of those teams. The problem is none of them would ever agree to a trade for him.

Padres would eat his salary 2023-2025, likely have to pony up part of 2022 at this point. For a free player, don't see why not.

I'd guess at least half of those teams are on his list.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Headline: Hosmer would reject every single AL Central team but White Sox…pretty much the entire Rust Belt, lol.

Cubs, Brewers, Cards also okay.

Yeah, Chicago is a good city to be in for the Summer. Didn't include Saint Louis because it's a solid baseball city. Brewers are a good team, but doubt any athlete is eager to live in Milwaukee. If this was the NBA, would include Chicago, Milwaukee and others on the list due to Winter.

Padres would eat his salary 2023-2025, likely have to pony up part of 2022 at this point. For a free player, don't see why not.

Roughly $45 million still owed, including two more months this year.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Doubt it. Usually with limited no trades, the teams on the list are the teams most likely to trade for him. Teams that don't take on money usually aren't on it. It really isn't about winning and losing usually. I bet most big money guys with limited no trades can be traded to Pittsburgh and Cleveland and Oakland.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

probably going to the dodgers then.

Gotta tell you, as miserable as last night made me, realizing I went through 3 years of shit baseball after a decade of shit baseball, where I thought we were cleaning the house to bring up a bunch of young players to finally be able to get a big fish...and to see multiple top 5 players in the game become available...and to once again not have the budget. the players. the resolve.

It is such a gut punch. This organization is the least relevant organization in the history of baseball. It used to be the padres. It used to be the astros. You can say rockies, and sure. But Rick Hahn has done no better than the rockies during his tenure. 

I really don't care what shitty moves this team makes. I only want (metaphorical) harakiri of all involved. I can't imagine getting one of the best jobs in the world and being so shitty at it for a decade.

I can't agree more