What would you trade Giolito for

bmags

The sox won't re-sign Giolito, he has 1.5 years left. Rentals don't get you much, so this deadline or the offseason would be wise to send him off. His arb will make him expensive, and we need to pay for our bullpen.

He's at a lower point, but has good pedigree, and has shown he can regain things quickly.

What real team would go after him? Cards? Brewers? Atlanta?

I don't think we could get Walker, but perhaps Masyn Wynn for when we need to trade Anderson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dodgers would be interested also, I would bet.

it's a bummer my fake trade of kimbrel to dodgers for Amaya, Outman didn't go through. Pretty sure outman is better than Pollock.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does he? He's been so bad this year, and the velocity is so down that I doubt he has much value. They can probably get more next year as a rental should he bounce back in performance and velocity 

No they'd obviously get back more now. Also there is no guarantee he'd be better next year, obviously. 

And yes, he'd get back cheap talent than Lance Lynn with 2.5 more years left. This isn't hard.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

No they'd obviously get back more now. Also there is no guarantee he'd be better next year, obviously. 

And yes, he'd get back cheap talent than Lance Lynn with 2.5 more years left. This isn't hard.

Disagree. He probably wouldn't even return an interesting prospect right now. Just organizational filler. 

Giolito has zero value and Lynn has negative value 

Edited by Jack Parkman

33 minutes ago, almagest said:

I think selling him at this point would be a mistake, but that assumes he can come back. If they don't think he will then you absolutely sell.

He has no value though. A bad team won't trade for him as a rental type, and a good team isn't trading any prospects worth much for him. We in turn wouldn't trade him for a guy like Gallo. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

He has no value though. A bad team won't trade for him as a rental type, and a good team isn't trading any prospects worth much for him. We in turn wouldn't trade him for a guy like Gallo. 

That's my hesitation. You might as well hang on and hope he rebounds, unless you really don't think he will, then you take what you can get.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He's not a rental type, he has 1.5 years. He also has 3 straight years of mid-3s ERA and an xfip lower than his ERA.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Remember Parkman is Giolito's "biggest fan" though.

He needs to have an offseason like 2018-19. 

He's also fine if he can miss bats like he did in April and May while getting a bit of velocity back. I believe in him righting himself but I don't think it's doable mid-season. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's not a rental type, he has 1.5 years. He also has 3 straight years of mid-3s ERA and an xfip lower than his ERA.

To a bad team 1.5 is a rental. That is half of this season and only next year. He hasn't been close to good this year, so no one is giving up much for him. That's just the way it works.