GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

40 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

IRCC he hit one over some shortstops outstretched arm and it wound up in the first row of the leftfield stands at Comiskey, talk about a frozen rope.....

Yeah.  I was at a Sunday afternoon game once sitting behind 1B when Allen hit a rocket that the second baseman leaped up for but it just kept rising and resulted in a home run in right center field.

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yeah.  I was at a Sunday afternoon game once sitting behind 1B when Allen hit a rocket that the second baseman leaped up for but it just kept rising and resulted in a home run in right center field.

Twice in my long life as a baseball fan I have seen a line drive hit back at the pitcher, pitcher instinctively ducks, and the ball ended up a homer in Center Field.  Frank Thomas was one, and Cargo was the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Agree, and if life is so bad in Cuba, he'd be living the high life in the minors, but I think that's everyones point....Yoan just doesn't seem to care what he does he made his money.

Character and professional pride should be traits to evaluate and consider before you hand out a big long term contract to anybody.  Abreu has them but Moncada does not.

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

Having to burn Graveman and Hendriks in this game because we couldn't score some runs with the bases loaded and nobody out is frustrating. 

Should not be hitting Moncada 5th until he starts hitting.  He is taking too many third strikes and weak swings.  He is not protecting Abreu either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I agree, but I think that'd really only help on the margins. If you don't draw walks or hit HR's, you're not going to be a good offensive team

There are few things better that lead to a win than the Earl Weaver special, the 3 run homer.  It is rare for the Sox this season.

Moncada looked winded as he was running to first yesterday on what I recall was a single. All of us who watch the Sox regularly have noticed that Moncada at times, seems to be in some kind of physical pain....almost like he has an oblique strain, I would guess. That has been going  on for a long time now. Whatever that problem is, it appears to impact his stamina while running the bases  and perhaps, his bat speed and bat extension at the plate.  I would like to see him get better because he is a potential 5 tool player and an elite defender at 3rd.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

We went there once. Neat town. Ate at a place called Quintessential Dining and Nightlife, which I thought was a neat name.

One of best high school friends moved to St. Charles and has happy lived there 25+ years.

White Sox only needed to beat a #18 team prospect for Brandon Drury, #20 MLB OPS guy.  He can play five different positions, too.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Burger is worse than Moncada against RHP. He has no chance. Kills lefties though. 

But that's ok for a Rookie who makes nothing. That's expected. It's like what happened to Vaughn last year. From Moncada him hitting like some rookie like its his 1st time through the league against all pitching while ripping the Sox off for millions of dollars . IF the Sox had a big lead in the division like last year you could maybe get Burger AB's like they did with Vaughn last year.

Moncada actually being very good was counted on by the people who paid him and the fans who expected the rebuild to work. If him and Eloy had actually been either not hurt or not sucked this team might've started looking like Houston instead of the pre rebuild Sox. I know I am keeping Hahn, JR and TLR out of the conversation regarding sucking but there's a lot of shit that went wrong.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

I don't think any of us know what the problem is with Moncada. Frankly, that's not as important as whether, or not, the problem can be resolved. His ability to hit is critical, because he is one of the few LH hitters on this team. With neither Moncada, or Grandal hitting, Sheets has to be in lineup against RH pitching. Moreover, he has to hit in the heart of the order. Less than an ideal situation, to be sure.  I've been alarmed about Moncada's lack of offense, for quite some time now, and it's just not getting better. I even went so far as to suggest that I hoped that the Sox could trade him, just to avoid the possibility of having to pay him $50 million, over the last two years of his contract.

If the Sox make it to the post season, how much longer can they continue to let him hit, before they have to let Burger play 3RD? Yoan is putting up some of the worst numbers in baseball and looks every bit as bad as his stats. I suggested some time ago that perhaps he needs to change his approach at the plate. Forget about trying to be a pull hitter, or hitting for power. Choke up on the bat and spray the ball around the field. Be willing to concentrate on just getting on base. Whatever he does, it has to be something different than what he has been doing. It's been far too long to be considered a "slump".

When he's batting from the left side the opposing teams 3rd baseman is  playing shortstop.  He could simply bunt the ball down the 3rd base side and he could walk to first base. It must be beneathe him to bunt his way on.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But that's ok for a Rookie who makes nothing. That's expected. It's like what happened to Vaughn last year. From Moncada him hitting like some rookie like its his 1st time through the league against all pitching while ripping the Sox off for millions of dollars . IF the Sox had a big lead in the division like last year you could maybe get Burger AB's like they did with Vaughn last year.

Moncada actually being very good was counted on by the people who paid him and the fans who expected the rebuild to work. If him and Eloy had actually been either not hurt or not sucked this team might've started looking like Houston instead of the pre rebuild Sox. I know I am keeping Hahn, JR and TLR out of the conversation regarding sucking but there's a lot of shit that went wrong.

How?

US presidents typically get blamed for economic conditions when there are hundreds of other national and international factors to consider.

The Sox equation is much much simpler.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

When he's batting from the left side the opposing teams 3rd baseman is  playing shortstop.  He could simply bunt the ball down the 3rd base side and he could walk to first base. It must be beneathe him to bunt his way on.

Greg and WBWSF anti shift bunt club charter members.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One of best high school friends moved to St. Charles and has happy lived there 25+ years.

White Sox only needed to beat a #18 team prospect for Brandon Drury, #20 MLB OPS guy.  He can play five different positions, too.

An 18 yr old SS off their ACL roster which is only a step above the DSL . Drury would've easily been our top HR hitter. For SD he's their super utility guy like Leury  is to the Sox . It's just pitiful how dysfunctional the Sox FO is.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How?

US presidents typically get blamed for economic conditions when there are hundreds of other national and international factors to consider.

The Sox equation is much much simpler.

Because we're talking about Moncada, Not the front office. I already give them enough shit which you see in my next post addressing your post about Drury.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

An 18 yr old SS off their ACL roster which is only a step above the DSL . Drury would've easily been our top HR hitter. For SD he's their super utility guy like Leury  is to the Sox . It's just pitiful how dysfunctional the Sox FO is.

Tonight he DH'ed his way to a GS, already more productive than two months of Adam Frazier.

Then you have Kim Cronenworth Machado Profar and Tatis can play everywhere as well.  White Sox are the opposite fitting round pegs into square holes.

The crazy thing is Acosta cost much more in intl. money ($1.25 million) than the $300k in pocket change they will pay Drury for two months.

Then sending Lamet to Mil offloaded roughly 1/2 of Hader's salary...so not over luxury tax threshold, barely.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tonight he DH'ed his way to a GS, already more productive than two months of Adam Frazier.

Then you have Kim Cronenworth Machado Profar and Tatis can play everywhere as well.  White Sox are the opposite fitting round pegs into square holes.

The crazy thing is Acosta cost much more in intl. money ($1.25 million) than the $300k in pocket change they will pay Drury for two months.

Then sending Lamet to Mil offloaded roughly 1/2 of Hader's salary...so not over luxury tax threshold, barely.

Looks like Preller gets a lot of help from the bean counters on his staff . I don't know maybe other front offices actually have whole teams of guys working on these trades trying to fit the pieces together like a puzzle. Maybe the Sox just aren't run that way. Thanks.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Looks like Preller gets a lot of help from the bean counters on his staff . I don't know maybe other front offices actually have whole teams of guys working on these trades trying to fit the pieces together like a puzzle. Maybe the Sox just aren't run that way. Thanks.

Between Darvish (Iran/Japan), two Colombians, Dominicans, Josh Bell and Grisham, Mazara, Manaea, Cubans, this is the most diverse team I can recall.

Last year, they were terribly unlikable with bad vibes/energy.  With Bob Melvin, they've never gotten too high or too low.

It's amazing the attitude transformation and how it spreads across entire org.  50% is swagger of Soto that so far Luis Robert lacks consistently due to health/confidence ebbing.

That said, they could get swept by Braves in first round and Preller could easily be fired.  Or Tatis return changes the "aura" again

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mods, can we make a Padres sub forum for Caulfied to talk to himself please?

Aww good line, but Caulfield is a good guy,. He can't help it though to comment on the padres and also attendance figures of the Sox and other MLB teams.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Dick Allen as u know hit a home run in that right centerfield nook area at old Comiskey. I'm pretty sure it's the only home run hit there ever. Dick Allen and Bo Jackson did things no mortal baseball players could do.

• Like 1