What is up with Tim Anderson?

MikeKreevich

He's batting .313 but it's a weak .313 with 5 Homer's and only 25 RBI, I know he's the leadoff guy but still it's pretty putrid. Then there's his fielding and base running, again pretty weak. Someone needs to have a chat with him with the season on the line.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He's batting .313 but it's a weak .313 with 5 Homer's and only 25 RBI, I know he's the leadoff guy but still it's pretty putrid. Then there's his fielding and base running, again pretty weak. Someone needs to have a chat with him with the season on the line.

Or we can somehow influence the Instagram girls to convince him much better play will result in $225 million vs. $150-175 million in 2024?

Edited by caulfield12

He’s tied for 9th with Jeremy Pena for SS fWAR (2.5), behind Willy Adames (2.8) and Nico Hoerner (2.7).

He’s on a decent contract the next two years, but wouldn’t expect any top 5 seasons from here on out.

He’ll need to transition to 2B to have value in his 30s, he’s barely league average now.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He’s tied for 9th with Jeremy Pena for SS fWAR (2.5), behind Willy Adames (2.8) and Nico Hoerner (2.7).

He’s on a decent contract the next two years, but wouldn’t expect any top 5 seasons from here on out.

He’ll need to transition to 2B to have value in his 30s, he’s barely league average now.

I think this is a bad six weeks for his power numbers/home runs and as soon as he starts hitting homers again his fWAR will be just fine.

5 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

Anyone seen his spray chart?  Tim hasn't been eating much spaghetti lately.  When he tries to pull the ball it results in an easy ground ball out and way too often  a double play.

Only 19 of his 100 hits are extra base hits.  Clutch hits, not so much.  

The other stuff is likely off the field crap but this is symptomatic of many of the White Sox hitters and again, to me, points back at the hitting coach.

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

The other stuff is likely off the field crap but this is symptomatic of many of the White Sox hitters and again, to me, points back at the hitting coach.

This is the best hitter of ALL hitters in the AL cumulatively for BA over a rolling three and one half year period now….ranging from 309 as a low to his Silver Slugger and overall AL hitting title .335 in 2019.

How can you mess that up?

15 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Total speculation on my part, but I'd guess that some of his "off the field" stuff may be carrying over to his play this year. 

I agree with that. Or maybe it's the hatred of playing for TLR or the toxic culture TLR created on this team. We saw the video of how lame and bored the players were in the locker room when it was announced TA was named an All-Star starter.

Something seems to bothering TA mentally. Every time I see him sitting in the dugout, he doesn't seem to have that same high level of enthusiasm and getting into the game like he used to.

Under the statcast numbers, it stands out how low his launch angle currently is. All numbers in degrees:

2019: 8.7
2020: 6.7
2021: 4.3
2022: 3.6

He's making solid contact, his K-rate is actually notably down from last year, his exit velocity is slightly down from last year but identical to what it was in 2019 and in-between 2020 and 2021. He's just hitting the ball straight into the ground.

He's getting on top of the ball at a career high 40.7% clip, and getting under the ball at a career low 10.7% clip. He's hitting the ball to the opposite field a career high 30.7% of the time.

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

In terms of WAR, he also had that totally unexplained and flat out awful couple of weeks in April where he was an error machine. He had 7 errors in 7 days in April, had another 2 Error game in May, and since coming off the IL on June 20th he has 3 errors.

I have no real idea what was going on in April, but I do think it wasn't just him as Abreu and several other people around the infield were utter messes at the same time.