8/5 - Two steppin' in TX - Cease v Otto Game Thread - 7:05

he gone.

Otto Notes:

Features sinker 26% of the time, Slider 24, Fastball 23%, Curveball 14%, and Changeup 13%. By far and away his sinker is his best pitch with xBA of .199. Outside of that? his curve and slider can work from time to time, but not nearly as scary. He likes to work the sinker in on righties, usually up and in. His fastball is wild, but leaves a good amount center. We need to sit on a fastball and be patient. Not that this Sox team knows how to do that. Overall righties have a .315BA this year and a 1.8 WHIP. Patience is a virtue today. The type of game Moncada, Yaz, Abreu, Vaughn should excel in. Anderson, Robert, Eloy need to relax today. Otto will walk guys. He's alked 38 in 72ip. The thing Otto does surprisingly well is control his pitches MUCH better with guys on. Seems to go shift to putting the ball over the plate more. With runners on base he has 30k's against 7bb for a 1.237 whip. With bases empty he seems to nibble a bunch more a 1.73whip. Much like many pitchers his ERA in the first go-round is much lower. 3.70ERA, second go-round its 5.96, and although he hasn't got late in the games very often he's gets knocked around after. Generally normal there. Home splits are 7.50ERA v. 4.00era on the road ... a bit surprising. Final tidbits, xERA is 5.63, pretty awful. 

Game plan should be to sit fastball, be patient on that sinker inside. If he can't locate that, then we should be in a good position to take his other offerings

Cease? We know the story. He's good. 

Lineup: In no god damn way should Sheets sniff this lineup as a lefty. We have a ton of righties and that's a good thing in this matchup. Sheets can come in for a pinch hit later, but in no way do i want to see his face. Take the defense in Engel in RF. I'm looking for Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn, Yaz, Engel, Harrison;

I like moving Moncada up for a guy with control issues as long as Yoan knows the game plan is to be patient. Otherwise stick him near the bottom. Although I like Seby, I also think you have to go with Yaz for same reasons as Moncada. I like getting Engel a game here with Cease on the mound and to give him an OF that can field. 

All goes well and this should be a 6-2 type final hopefully. 

Go go sox. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The 2021 Kimbrel trade, Kimbrel Option Pick Up, and 2022 Kimbrel trade for Pollock should be grounds for Hahn's shitcanning this offseason. Parts 2 and 3 were completely avoidable for $1M. The fact that he took on an even more expensive contract (spread over two years) made it even worse.

In terms of Vaughn, he is still on 24, and like most power hitters, I expect his power to increase as he reaches his peak 26-28 age seasons (2024-2026).

• Like 1

Hopefully we get the same lineup today but with Robert in CF, AV in LF, Pollock in RF and Eloy DH.  Pollock needs to learn to be ok playing RF; that is the best possible defensive lineup we got.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

Otto Notes:

Features sinker 26% of the time, Slider 24, Fastball 23%, Curveball 14%, and Changeup 13%. By far and away his sinker is his best pitch with xBA of .199. Outside of that? his curve and slider can work from time to time, but not nearly as scary. He likes to work the sinker in on righties, usually up and in. His fastball is wild, but leaves a good amount center. We need to sit on a fastball and be patient. Not that this Sox team knows how to do that. Overall righties have a .315BA this year and a 1.8 WHIP. Patience is a virtue today. The type of game Moncada, Yaz, Abreu, Vaughn should excel in. Anderson, Robert, Eloy need to relax today. Otto will walk guys. He's alked 38 in 72ip. The thing Otto does surprisingly well is control his pitches MUCH better with guys on. Seems to go shift to putting the ball over the plate more. With runners on base he has 30k's against 7bb for a 1.237 whip. With bases empty he seems to nibble a bunch more a 1.73whip. Much like many pitchers his ERA in the first go-round is much lower. 3.70ERA, second go-round its 5.96, and although he hasn't got late in the games very often he's gets knocked around after. Generally normal there. Home splits are 7.50ERA v. 4.00era on the road ... a bit surprising. Final tidbits, xERA is 5.63, pretty awful. 

Game plan should be to sit fastball, be patient on that sinker inside. If he can't locate that, then we should be in a good position to take his other offerings

Cease? We know the story. He's good. 

Lineup: In no god damn way should Sheets sniff this lineup as a lefty. We have a ton of righties and that's a good thing in this matchup. Sheets can come in for a pinch hit later, but in no way do i want to see his face. Take the defense in Engel in RF. I'm looking for Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn, Yaz, Engel, Harrison;

I like moving Moncada up for a guy with control issues as long as Yoan knows the game plan is to be patient. Otherwise stick him near the bottom. Although I like Seby, I also think you have to go with Yaz for same reasons as Moncada. I like getting Engel a game here with Cease on the mound and to give him an OF that can field. 

All goes well and this should be a 6-2 type final hopefully. 

Go go sox. 

Damn good post. The way Robert whiffed 3 times on those last 3 pitches to end the game yesterday though, all of which were sinkers, doesn't give me much hope.

29 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Damn good post. The way Robert whiffed 3 times on those last 3 pitches to end the game yesterday though, all of which were sinkers, doesn't give me much hope.

In the flip side, Robert taking 3 walks earlier in the game, one of which he was called out on a pitch a foot off the plate, were very encouraging. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I like Pollock-Robert-Engel better.

Well, sure.  But that requires on of our best hitters in Eloy, AV or Abreu to be on the bench, so that simply isn't happening everyday.  Engel sort of sucks.  

By the way, for those who gamble, really like the total base prop this evening on Eloy and Abreu. Each are paying +110 for over 1.5 bases. 

Abreu's patience scares me a bit in terms that he may walk 1-2 times and then it puts a lot of pressure on the other at bats for him to hit 2 singles or a double/homer. But someone like Eloy and his hot streak seem to be perfect for tonight against Otto. in fact, he's hitting .476 against sinkers this year. not a huge sample size, but this is a great matchup for him, He has hit the over on 1.5 bases 6 of last 7 games. Should be protected by Abreu/Robert tonight in lineup as well. If Robert can get a single ahead of him I think it'll force Otto to throw over the plate more and Eloy is locked in lately ... 

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I like Pollock-Robert-Engel better.

Get him in there in the last 3 innings. Whoever got last at bat out of whoever is in the corners in the 6/7/8th inning gets replaced, depending on when you can afford to do that.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

You can’t honestly believe this team even if they somehow limp into the playoffs have any chance. They are not good and quite frankly extremely unlikeable. 

Its baseball.  Of course they have chance.  I don't think they're going to win the world series, nor do I think they'd win an ALDS, but they certainly have a chance. 

May as well enjoy the next couple months and pull for the squad as opposed to being miserable.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its baseball.  Of course they have chance.  I don't think they're going to win the world series, nor do I think they'd win an ALDS, but they certainly have a chance. 

May as well enjoy the next couple months and pull for the squad as opposed to being miserable.  

Exactly, once you make the playoffs anything can happen especially with a short series.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

You can’t honestly believe this team even if they somehow limp into the playoffs have any chance. They are not good and quite frankly extremely unlikeable. 

While I definitely agree that the White Sox aren't very good, if they do get to the playoffs anything can happen as we all know. Only 2 games out as bad as this season has been for them gives hope that better days are ahead. I'm not throwing in the towel yet even though each loss sure makes it harder to stay positive.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well said.