Moncada

Unknown

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Makes you wonder if the Sox even scouted those 8 games or even how he looked in the minors or just did whatever the Sox did back then . If the W.Sox really wanted Devers instead but the R.Sox said no then they should have insisted the 3rd and 4th pieces be better. That way you might force the R.Sox hand and see just how badly they wanted to get rid of him. Like why are you wiling to give up Moncada but not Devers ? I don't know what Devers rank was at the time but there are ways to smell a rat in negotiations if you are shrewd enough and have some street savvy to go along with the Degrees.

Yes.  I said pretty much the same thing here 2-3 years ago and was criticized.  I thought back then that Boston took Hahn for a joyride by throwing in Basabe and Diaz.  I still remember Bob Ryan of Boston Globe being quoted saying it was a great Boston trade because they kept Devers, who is the one White Sox wanted.  Hahn keeps outdoing himself.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Yes.  I said pretty much the same thing here 2-3 years ago and was criticized.  I thought back then that Boston took Hahn for a joyride by throwing in Basabe and Diaz.  I still remember Bob Ryan of Boston Globe being quoted saying it was a great Boston trade because they kept Devers, who is the one White Sox wanted.  Hahn keeps outdoing himself.

Benintendi was the other target but so beloved then he was simply un tradable then...no way to remove him from a WS contending roster.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Too much flair

Needs a psychologist

Mental health issues

My god what a terrible and inappropriate thread

Obviously the Sox can't figure out the right buttons to push.

It would be easier if it was vision oriented or something off field like Dunn in 2011.

As it stands, they are 7-10 days from having to replace him with Burger.

I know nothing about Yoan as a person and human being. 

As a baseball player he is a very good 3rd baseman defensively 

At the plate this dude is lost and he brings nothing. He has the the body type but the ball does not explode off his bat. In fact he hits many weak grounders and poorly hit fly balls.

There is a hole in approach and his swing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I'll bet you anything that in the off-season the team "leaks" a story from their paid shill Nightingale that Yoan was suffering from "long COVID" all year. Then they'll say that he's doing great and will be back to his real form in 2023. This will be leaked a few days before 2023 season tickets go on sale. 

You're probably right. Getting the real Moncada back will be the Sox big off-season addition!

Here's why I don't buy the "Moncada attitude" argument He's playing A+ defense at 3B. If this were some kind of work ethic or attitude problem, his entire game would suffer, not just his hitting.

It's either a physical issue, an issue with how he's being coached, a confidence problem, or some combination of those three.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Here's why I don't buy the "Moncada attitude" argument He's playing A+ defense at 3B. If this were some kind of work ethic or attitude problem, his entire game would suffer, not just his hitting.

It's either a physical issue, an issue with how he's being coached, a confidence problem, or some combination of those three.

That’s what’s so baffling to me.  His D is A++ on most nights.  He’s still locked in defensively despite his struggles at the plate.  And calling them struggles is quite generous.  He looks absolutely lost with a bat in his hands, clueless even.  I have no explanation to accurately or adequately explain what is wrong, be it physical, mental, psychological, coaching, or what.  I don’t know how someone plays GG caliber D night in & night out and looks, *looks* like they utterly don’t give a shit at the plate.  Partying all night doesn’t explain the polar opposites in his play on both sides of the field.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That’s what’s so baffling to me.  His D is A++ on most nights.  He’s still locked in defensively despite his struggles at the plate.  And calling them struggles is quite generous.  He looks absolutely lost with a bat in his hands, clueless even.  I have no explanation to accurately or adequately explain what is wrong, be it physical, mental, psychological, coaching, or what.  I don’t know how someone plays GG caliber D night in & night out and looks, *looks* like they utterly don’t give a shit at the plate.  Partying all night doesn’t explain the polar opposites in his play on both sides of the field.  

I am right there with you.  So fluid and pretty in the field.  Aggressive,  yet clean.  In the batters box, 180 degrees the opposite.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am right there with you.  So fluid and pretty in the field.  Aggressive,  yet clean.  In the batters box, 180 degrees the opposite.

I do respect him for his professionalism. 

He's got to be one of the top priorities for the coaching staff. 

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I do respect him for his professionalism. 

He's got to be one of the top priorities for the coaching staff. 

For a new coaching staff hopefully.  I don’t want these hacks screwing him up any further.  He’s too damn important for the success of this team. 

I think it’s utterly sad that some of our fans think the last 250 plate appearances are the real Moncada…. vs the previous 2250 plate appearances in which he hit .260/.770 with stellar defense. 

Maybe he’s having a bad year for many different reasons, and I share the frustration. However, based on the previous sample size of nine times as many plate appearances, and based on the fact he is not even close to 30 yet, I think I’ll continue to believe he will eventually be much better than he’s been this year. Maybe it’s next year, I don’t know. But I think I’ll take my chances believing that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I just wanted to add to this that physical issues are under the purview of the trainer, how he's coached is under the purview of the hitting coach, his confidence is under the purview of the manager, and all three of those people are under the purview of the owner and GM.

13 minutes ago, chetlemonhead said:

I believe the only remedy is tough love. Demote him to the minors, and make him produce and let him work on his approach at the plate. He’s the cancer in the lineup, and a demotion would shake things up in a positive way or prove that he’s just become to indifferent. 

There's 8 guys on this team underperforming. How did you determine that he is the cancer and not any of the other 7?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If it was just a confidence problem, I don’t think it would show up so clearly in his statcast numbers. The biggest problem is he’s not hitting the ball hard any nor, not at all. This happened to him in 2020 after he had lingering COVID issues. He recovered some last year, and then is right  back where he was in 2020 now. This sure seems like something physical or technical with him. 

The frustrating thing is that he lost all his impact on the ball.

Moncada always was a risky prospect and I wouldn't have been surprised if he was a guy who busts because because he strikes out 37% and hits 0.19, that risk was always on the table.

But he also was considered a 70 grade power guy and it was seen as if moncada keeps his K rate in check in the mid to high 20s like he mostly did he would be a high power slugging threat. 

His approach and swing never was geared perfectly for power but his raw pop should have been so good that he ran into 25 bombs by accident just by smashing the ball but nowadays he isn't even impacting the ball hard at all. 

Imo it has to be still a long term effect of covid. Sure his swing and mental stuff might also not be as good as they can currently but a 26-27 year old shouldn't lose all his power except for a very bad injury.